Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Dressing for your age? - Page 4

User Thread
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Photar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, fashion clones who wear whatever's in whether it suits them or not do that. Some people dress to express themselves. "Wearing the clothes of the souls that they choose."

I don't dress to please others. I know it doesn't matter what I wear someone can find fault so dressing to please everyone is impossible. And I think it's fair to say in warm weather we all dress for others. It's not like wearing clothers matters if you are alone.

There are some imutable facts about dressing that are not subjective. You clothes alter how your body shape appears.
Tappered jeans make your butt and thighs look bigger, flared jeans make it look smaller.
V-necks make a short neck look longer and turtle-necks make a short-necked person look like they have no neck at all.
Long tops on a person with a short body and long legs add balance. Short tops on the same person make them look like their legs are head are all there is.
We all know about horizontal stripes but vertical stripes have the same effect.
If you have flaws you want to cover well chosen chothes can do that and the rules are simple and stay the same so don't go out of date with changing fashions.
Like I said, if you feel pretty you feel better, even if you are alone.
I even move differently, walk differently.
Oscar Wilder said "But a plain woman in a beautiful dress and she will try to live up to it." He was right.

The things you are saying are true, Attolia, but I am not sure why you are saying them. Do you think it's bad to try and look good?
Maybe you are thinking about your peers who dress either to fit in or draw attention from guys.

That stage isn't all there is to it though. I had uniforms all though my schooling so when I graduated I had to establish my own style all over again. As I grew up in isolation from the fashionistas (they had uniforms too) and I had no sisters I had to make it up myself so my style is influence more by the books, movies and manga that I have seen rather than what my peers are wearing so maybe I'm not a good example of the typical attitude to clothes.
I have always dressed for myself and from what I have seen it's not that uncommon.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter but some of us a looking at stars"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But why try to make your legs look longer or you rneck shorter or your butt bigger? You are trying to please others or trying to give others a certain impression of yourself (I am a chick/ tough guy/ punk/ cowboy etc)

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Photar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But isn't that what punks/chicks/cowboys/touch guys do? Project that image? Why do you do it?

"We are, all of us, in the gutter but some of us a looking at stars"
 36yrs • F •
Same reason, to project a certain image. But also because the clothes I wear are more comfortable than mainstream (loose jeans in place of hip hugger jeans.)

But what I don't like is that we let others decide what looks good. What I'm trying to get at is whether or not is is possible to be happy with the way you look on your own. But that is not possible because you good looks depend on positive judgement. So you can't "look good for yourself."

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
know what ya mean? broke my back at 16, then hurt it bad a while back when I was coming down a ladder with a steel beam over my head.
The point is I found that my life long habit of sticking my wallet into my back pocket puts pressure on my lower back. Even tried switching pockets but that just changed the pressure. So I started carrying one of those fanny packs, at times I find that wearing it around my waist helps to straiten out my sore back but most of the time I carry it over my shoulder.
Then at times I will become self-conscious about it then I sling it across my shoulders like a bandelier.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
But that is not possible because you good looks depend on positive judgement. So you can't "look good for yourself."

Good looks can be based on your own judgement. Just ignore people who make fun of you. Of course if you wear overly suggestive or just plain offensive clothes then you may be asking for confrontation. But otherwise just wear what makes you like the way you look

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
People don't have the morality to look beyond the visual perception of people. Very few can. Even if you say you don't you go out in the real world and see a skank and think skank. The percentage of people that don't care about someone's visual representation is so low that it shouldn't even be considered. I dress nice because I can. It'll make me more successful and honestly I could care less about how shallow the world really is. No hope needed for lost causes.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • F •
Right on, Jacker. We use our sense to judge the world around us, so it's impossible not to judge someone byt he way they physically appear.

Here's the point I'm trying to get at. Is something beautiful because it is or because someone thinks its beautiful? (Goes along with the question, if a tree falls down, and no on is there to hear it, does it make a sound?)

39yrs • M •
quote:
Is something beautiful because it is or because someone thinks its beautiful?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You may look at a diamond and see beauty I may look at the same diamond and just see a stone.
Perspective is everything and no matter how good you look (or think you look) there will always be someone who does not agree.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Stop at light on the way from the store. Young lady walking down the street was certainly making a fashion statement, even the green streaks in her hair match her accessories.
Tend to think it is more than a fashion statement, more of a statement about herself.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 36yrs • F •
Beauty is a human construct. It's also a social construct. You can not say that you are "beautiful" alone, but because you have been influenced to think that way or others tell that to you.

SOOOOOO, is there anything wrong with dressing hoever you want?

I say there isn't, but you have to accept whatever consequences come from the way you dress.

39yrs • M •
quote:
but because you have been influenced to think that way or others tell that to you.

We all have influences but we can decide whether or not we believe everything they say. A person can be beautiful without being a cover person for fashion magazines.

quote:
I say there isn't, but you have to accept whatever consequences come from the way you dress.

As long as people actually dress how they want rather than how they are told to dress.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
People don't like to think. People would rather have the answers than bother with the question. Thus the incredible success of the fashion industry and likewise industries.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 60yrs • F •
milfy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I read with great interest this debate among you youngins as to why certain social constraints come to bear on people as they age with respect to fashion.

As one of the old folk (42), I think I should be able to dress in whatever way I choose as long as I have the body type to pull it off. Incidentally, I do dress in a manner many would consider 'young' for my age, judging by the ugly-assed shapeless clothes people in my age group are expected to wear. Yeah, no thanks. I don't spend an hour and a half in the gym to cover up my kick-ass bod with a tent.

Believe it or not kids, older people still party, date, and have people they want to impress. You don't suddenly want to not look good anymore just because you pass a certain age threshold. Anyway, that said, I agree that if you're a wrinkly mess, or a fat blubbery one (age doesn't discriminate there) you might want to re-think some of your clothing choices. Ultimately, however, this is America, and if you can take the heat for whatever you choose to wear, more power to ya.

"“Life's short. Wear what you want, or don't wear anything at all. It's your decision.” –Takemeseriously"
 36yrs • F •
Why dress a certain way if people think you're ugly or don't look good in that article of clothing? Who cares if you look wrinkly or fat?

But good point on the older crowd still living like the young ones. I suppose the reason "us" young ones are surprised to hear this is because we have been taught that as you get older, you don't see the need to dress to impress and party because you have settled down and your crazy hormones have also cooled down. Which is true in some sense.

Dressing for your age? - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy