Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Dressing for your age? - Page 3

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MJClone is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think that people are gonna do what they want to do as they get older. Our oppinions of what's right and wrong, was forced upon us; in saying that my oppinion we should stop judging others and let live and let live.....

"what if I'm a clone?"
 35yrs • M •
cordelllain is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I have to agree with Azhrei on the first page (you all shot him down?) He takes for granted that you agree with him on how people earn respect. I think that he thinks (because I think this ) that we earn respect by being self-contained. A desire to emulate the new generation would appear to be, besides a surface deep violation of "fashion sense," an insecurity that can mainly be satisfied by looking young. Insecurities of this kind are inherently dependent on other people and not self-contained. By "self-contained" I dont mean dependent on ones self for physical necessities, but for emotional necessities...thoughts?

Azhreis third post on the first page..btw

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Glad I didn't check this thread till now, I would have had the opposite thoughts. Those I know dress in clothes that are older than some of you. To some extent out economics, but comfort & the desire not to see themselves as being older.
Dressing as they did tn or fifteen years ago reinforces the idea they haven't changed much so they see themselves as they were, not as they are.
Just tried to image my mother on the beach in a thong

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think that we shouldnt wear clothes. i thought that was a valid fashion statement, but when i went to wal mart like that they threatened to arrest me. fuck wal mart

"dont got one"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Clothes are troublesom. But where I work they keep the air so low I would freeze to death.

I had a step daughter once who used to tease me because I liked to wear bell bottoms. Ofcourse in the Navy, we always wore bell bottom jeans. I told her, you just wait, bell bottoms will be in style. Sure enough, now the young people wear them, and so do I.

If you just wait a little while what ever you are wearing will be whatever the young people are wearing.

Old people do develop mental problems when they get older. Example, a friend of ours said she has to watch her grandmother during holloween, because she will run off and go tricker treating and forget where she is at and who she is and she might be difficult to find, she being in the early stages of Alhizimers.

I would have to agree, I don't think I could imagine my mother in a two peice.

But old people have the right to wear whatever they want to and you have the right not to like it, but nobody has the right to take away old peoples rights.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Eh, I agree with Wholly.
Everyone should just run naked through the forest.
My family is kinda whacky, my parents told me like 3 months ago that they both got naked and ran through the forest around our house together. lol...
I was like omg...
I asked my mom why she did it and she told me it was like being free from everything in the world at that moment. No stress, no worries, no worldy thought at all.
All it was, was her and my dad in the forest running at "one" persay with nature.
Kind of whacky huh?
Anyways so about the topic of this thread.
Everyone should just wear what they want and be done with it. Much <3

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ya OkCity, if everyone was nude then they wouldn't need the a/c

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Photar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I really don't agree with telling people what they can wear (except for children. They need quidelines, esp. young girls, for protection and other reasons)

But I don't thing the 70+ lady I sore in hipsters and a crop top, cigarette in mouth, was doing herself justice. It's not up to me to tell her what to wear but she could look better.
I like to wear short pleated skirts with shirts or T-shirts and knee socks (based on manga wear) or Harajuku style. I look about 26 and at the moment it looks OK. I don't wear really tight stuff or have my boobs hanging out. I look more sporty and I THINK it's OK but I'm not sure. At the moment I'm not too worried and part of me doesn't care what anyone things because, unlike when I was a teen, now I have the confidence to dress to suit the inner me.
(Plus after 13 years in uniforms leaves one with a little fashion frustration!)
I also have to wear flats (orthotics) so I'm limited in what I can wear as far as skirts and dressed go. Longer ones look aweful with flats. Anyway, I don't wanna look like a fool but I don't wanna dress in a way that bores me either. I'm happy to wait for my taste to change but I have never favoured the trampy look and hope I don't in the future!

It's easy to forget that many older people grew up in hard times (depression and war) and never really got to be kids and dress stylishly as teens. If they want to do it now I'm not going to stop them but it would be better if they left the prostitute look to, well, no one. Like others have said, it doesn't flatter or suit anyone.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter but some of us a looking at stars"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think it is a case, of you cna dress to suit your age figure etc, but it is up to you to do so, no-one has the right, or the ability to tell you how to dress if you dont want to dress that way (in your leisure time)

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 50yrs • F •
It's a better idea to dress to look good. Some 15 year-olds look aweful in hipsters. Some 35 year olds look great. It's about respecting your self and your body and being aware of what looks good on you. Make friends with the mirror and make an effort to check out what cuts and colours suit you. It will save you money and you'll get heaps of compliments.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
It's a better idea to dress to look good

To who? What's "good"? Why look good?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 50yrs • F •
quote:
To who? What's "good"? Why look good?

What's flattering. What suits your shape. What doesn't leave roles of fat flopping over the belt. There are thousands of books, magaines and websites about this and all the ones I have seen say pretty much the same thing. Look around and see what others your shape are wearing. What looks good? What makes you cringe?
What makes you feel beautiful? What's fun? If all else fails wear that. If you look confident you will look better than someone slumping around emabarred in the most beatiful gown in creation.

As for why look good, because if you know or believe you look good you feel better, more confident, pretty. I also feel fitter and even have more energy. When I had post-surgical depression earlier this year I got some bright cheerful clothes to make me feel like a person and not a patient and it really helped.
I do my best to look good for me. It makes me smile when my skirt flutters in the wind or when people tell me I look well.
I have been unwell for a long time and it showed. People told me everyday how sick I looked. No one says that now and even when I am unwell I look better.

To who? Yourself. Unless it's your employer it doesn't matter what other people think. Besides, most people are too worried about how they look you assess your dress anyway.
If you are happy you will look beautiful. People see the eyes and smile first anyway.

Te he... Oprah is doing a show on this as I sit here.

36yrs • F •
I should dress in what looks good. But "good" is subjective. I may think an old woman looks fine in capris whereas you may think its horrible.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 50yrs • F •
Yes, that's why I said dress in what you think looks good are not sure what that is there are ways to find out. It doesn't matter if I think the old woman in capri's looks awful if she is happy and feels good.

Of course good is subjective. That's why on any given day I've never seen two people in the same outfit (except some unfortunate children).

That's my point. Wear what you feel good in. If you think you look how you want to look then that's the best thing to wear (with some consideration of were you are going. Most people don't feel comfortable wearing pajamas to work.)

I don't know how you though I was saying good wasn't subjective.

36yrs • F •
Most people dress to impress. A lot of people need others to them they look good in order to think that themselves. So that's why it matters who you look good to. Because it's usually not yourself. You're just aiming to please others.

Dressing for your age? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy