Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Can War be a good thing? - Page 3

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think you can say that. Until the action of murder is committed you don't really know how it feels. I also think that people react differently to the concept murder. Some feel sorrow or regret but others I think feel power.

I do agree that people are not born murderers but are influenced through feelings, emotions and greed. Which is the fault of society.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
okay guys, what does this have to do with the topic at hand.

justifying murder does not justify war. there are many things that happen during war, that are not murder, but still really bad.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
When i was speaking about acting insanly i did not mean what you think I meant. When one person kills another, especially for the first time, human minds do not handle t well. despite what most people think, to kill is not human nature, to struggle for superioriety is.

I think that's a very good point. I am very surprised that people are not shocked by the fact that we just went over to Iraq and started a war. People don't realize that our soldiers are being asked to kill other people, I think because on TV it happens all the time and nobody seems to care.

But just try to put yourself in their shoes, and then you might see the horror of the crime.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Azhrei is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
One of my best friends just came home from iraq. I talked to him extensivly about what it was like, and after that i came to to relazations.

1.) The war, though arguably needed, is a horrendous affair, comparable to vietnam with having to decide friend from foe. The soliders get by becuase they believe in what they are fighting for, even if only to sooth their own minds, they believe it is right.

2.) though many do not like to hear this, the soilders for whatever reason did voluenteer, maybe they do not want to fight but they did sign up knowing full well what might be asked of them.

"What is true power?"
 64yrs • M •
quote:
though many do not like to hear this, the soilders for whatever reason did voluenteer, maybe they do not want to fight but they did sign up knowing full well what might be asked of them.

That is very true - I can't speak for nobody but me. I was lucky, I never saw action, but I always thought about it and decided what I would do. I decided to refuse to fight in any war that was like Vietnam, I would go to Canada.

That however being said. How do you know it is going to be like Vietanam until you are already there?

A lot of brave soldiers went to Nam.
A lot of brave soldiers went to Iraq.
and
A lot of brave soldiers went to Canada.

If any crime was ever commited, it was committed by our leaders who led us into an illegal war - not the soldiers who fought in it or ran from it.

After Desert Storm, they tried to pass legislation to ensure that we never went to war except to protect our shores, the legislation was thrown out.

We need to find that legislation and put it back through again.

Granted, that may not have worked for Iraq, seeing they claimed we would see mushroom like clouds over the U.S. if we didn't attack Iraq - but it would still make me feel better. Unfortunately, I don't know how to protect us from lies, I guess we just need to be more careful what we choose to believe.

44yrs • M •
quote:
How do you know it is going to be like Vietanam until you are already there?

I apoligize, i did not make my meaning clear.

What i meant in comparing Iraq to Vietnam was that the media was/is turned agianst the war. Most people are unaware that in Vietnam we actually won every major conflict, but the media turned the public agianst it so the war was shown as almost a loss.

I think Vietnam was something that had to happen, at least from the prespective of the times. I also believe Iraq is needed, no matter what is said the pervious government of Iraq was a threat, and was harboring terriosts. Alot of people disagree but they really need to look at who is giving the information....I mean how much can you trust from Geraldo?

"What is true power?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Navin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Iraq was necassary, however Iran was not.

"To kill man's hope is to kill man"
 44yrs • M •
Iran is a debate that i am not informed enough to have i'm afriad. though I would if icould only to play the devils advocate position. I think i like to be the bad guy.

"What is true power?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Navin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it brings out more truth.
why is it that anything we view as wrong or bad always outways things that are good or right?
even though they might have the same measurable affect on what or whomeevr it affects?

"To kill man's hope is to kill man"
 44yrs • M •
Well if you think about it, doing that forces you to think from another prespective, you utilize your mind "outside the box"

"What is true power?"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
see, one more good thing about war. it forces us to think about other people.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 64yrs • M •
As I said earlier, if more people are saved than the amount of people who die - then its a good war, I hardley believe that can be said about Vietnam or Iraq and I hope we don't go into Iran or Syria.

But if you think it is such a good thing, don't tell me about it, go to the recruiting station, volunteer and go.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The problem is once the decision is made to go to war their is no way of knowing how many lives would be lost in each scenario. Now it also has to include all lives lost not just American. Now as for hiding terrorists anyone can hide in any country. Terrorists don't have a sign on their back saying I'm a terrorist. They look like ordinary people, and could live anywhere.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 64yrs • M •
You don't hear it said much any more - but analysts used to keep saying you can't fight terrorist with military force. But I guess nobody listened to them so they stopped saying it.

Vietnam was a tragedy because it lasted longer, Iraq however is worse and has the potential of becoming a greater trafedy if it doesn't end soon.

Because we did not start Vietnam, we just joined in and in Vietnam we were actually fighting an army.

Iraq is worse because we started it. Iraq was a wealthy country who was never a threat to us, so our government made up a bunch of crap to rally the American people against Iraq, and it was all lies.

So we went over there, a country who never did anything to us and bombed the hell out ot em killing over 100,000 innocent civillians and they're pist - dam straight and should be. you'd be pissed to if someone dropped a bomb on your house.

Do we apologize when we realize our mistake - no, we just keep on pretending like we're some kinda hero. Thank god that there is at least a bad guy (saddam) so we can look a little good. But, that bad guy is only there because we helped put him there, so now we're twice bad, and it's a miracle that any Iraqi likes us.

There is no way in the world that the Iraq war can be seen as a good war. But yes, in the beginning, brave men and women volunteered to go over there believing they were saving America from a threat of weapons of mass destruction.

I once had these old posts on these old web pages I have since taken down expressing my fear that our soilders and most Iraqis would be killed by Saddams NBC weapons - to learn that our government knew that there never was any but made it up just to go to war is criminal - people should go to jail over that. This is far worse than Vietnam.

44yrs • M •
quote:
Iraq was a wealthy country who was never a threat to us, so our government made up a bunch of crap to rally the American people against Iraq, and it was all lies.

I will grant that they were never an overt threat. however, they gave state support to the people who attacked the US.

The government made up crap to rally support? How can you honestly believe that. As much as the media hates Bush, to the point of forging documents to make him look bad, if there had been a shred of proof that the government made up lies to rally support, which by the way obviously did not work, they would have finally had the oppurtunity to justify crucifying him. The media would have been all over it.

the government made a descion that I believe is right, not only saddam could be removed, there were 100 men ready to take his place. The government in Iraq needed to be replaced.

Maybe you should look at the situation without your obvious distaste for the government.

"What is true power?"
Can War be a good thing? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy