Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

commandments - Page 4

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Freedom without laws can only be attained throught oneness with self. But freedom with laws can be a social value and this is why laws help the larger group to be free although people now have the delussion that freedom means no laws at all, and most people would not adapt to the type of isolation that makes that possible.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

i thought we were talking about life

i dont think that god is a sports official

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 39yrs • M •
I honestly thought you would pick up on the analogy. Everything in life has rules that must be followed. The law against murder isn't simply a suggestion.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Freedom isn't when laws have a monopoly of yourself.
People fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away from themselves. Self-reliance is the only road to true freedom, and being one's own person is its ultimate reward. We feel free when we escape in solitude. The secret of happiness is freedom. Another freedom is the freedom of the mind.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M •
cordelllain is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
if only all people were cabable (self-searching) enough to govern themselves in the way that you describe, but obviously they are not...hence the necessity of rules such as the commandments

39yrs • M •
You seem to assume that without rules people would stop commiting crimes. The crime rate would be zero without laws but the result would be much worse and how does it create freedom for the person being robbed?

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Nothing is black and white - even this statement

Moses went up a mountain on his own and came back with ten commandments written on stone...hmmmm. Think on this.

Rules are needed though if you believe in democracy-it really won't work without them in the current state of affairs.. And this is probably what Moses foresaw.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
How can any system function without rules?

41yrs • M •
The only 'rules' you see are a product of intelligence-think of it like God over here communicating to God over there if you like.

Forget the idea of systems working according to rules. Which do you think came first knowledge or creativity? Which do you think is more important?

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
quote:
The only 'rules' you see are a product of intelligence

And to live without rules would be unintelligent.

41yrs • M •
I can give you a 'law' that says Force = mass x acceleration. It is imperfect but its one of our best known equations for normal every day situations of the physical world. I can give you a rule that says you shall not steal; then I can give you the example of the people in Hurricane Katrina 'stealing' to feed their kids. Things are not black and white and ultimately their must be a human judge if we set laws. But as Einstein said 'he who sets himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.' Once you see that people can look at the same thing and view it differently then you will know the so-called rules are not rigid and out there but flexible and out here.

Laws are not universally true. However it is necessary for us to have rules because very much humans are political animals.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
What if some laws are universal? Just because anybody can make a crime look good doesn't actually make it good. Even stealing to save starving family members is wrong, maybe necessary but that doesn't make it right.

41yrs • M •
we are back to the right and wrong stuff. Again, it is my belief there is no absolute right or wrong-just various levels of conciousness.

As for stealing, the word itself is subjective.

""No words""
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
hahaha talkin in circles.. how can we argue like this..

stealing to save a starving family is right dont give me any of your rule bs ethereal.. you are starting to get under my skin now..

what if you were the one starving and needed sombody to steal for you? well thats not goin happen so whats the point, you cant be sympathetic, you are a drone.. a F*CKING DRONE.. a person that only follows the rules and doesnt see past the rules!!!!!!!!!! all you know is the rule.

well there is a higher rule, one that seems to contradict the previous rule but only an understanding person thats true and full of life could see.. not a drone.
god's rules are a guidance..

neway this is goin go back and forth

how can i even say that im absoultley right in there being no absolute right.. thats a contradiction

everything is.

if we put the commandments aside its pointless to argue about right and wrong..

in fact im not even going to get worked up about any of this cause we all know what right is..

now dont we..

i think deep with in us we do..

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that xxxxchelseaxxxx is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
anyone ever read thomas moores utopia?...cus i think analytical has lol....ooh fooey on religion, all it does it start wars

"wit is only educated insolence"
commandments - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy