But yet I am firmly persuaded that a great deal of consciousness, every sort of consciousness, in fact, is a disease. - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

commandments - Page 3

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
say a thief steals an old lady's purse. The person who tackled the thief to get the purse back would be a vigilante.

No that would simply be a good person unless he proceeded to deal with the theif himself instead of turning him over to the authorities.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes so he is doing good a bully strictly does bad

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that xxxxchelseaxxxx is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
im not sure i believe in god the way christians do but if i were to go with their theory i would imainge that god would not feel it is his job to write down a rule and go through every circumstance surrounding it. If you are truly a devout christian or just a good person, you will do the right, rational or conscientious thing without needing a rule to follow.

"wit is only educated insolence"
 39yrs • M •
quote:
you will do the right, rational or conscientious thing without needing a rule to follow.

The right, rational, or conscientious thing are rules.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
no stupid rules are a guidance, chelsea makes a good point..

people need rules at first but after you know what right and wrong is then you can make your own judgements on certain situations in the way you should react

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 39yrs • M •
You ever play any sports with that logic in mind? Doesn't go over to well with the officials.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that xxxxchelseaxxxx is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
life is not a sport, its not black and white, and if your going to use that analogy even in sports there are grey areas ones which are not clearly defined by the rules. opinions and judgement calls are taken into place, and rules change. Basically you just need to be able to accpet other ppls points of views and be open minded whether or not you agree and stop bible thumping, if you want to talk about your particular religious beliefs and what is good according to your god, then visit your local church

"wit is only educated insolence"
 39yrs • M •
quote:
Basically you just need to be able to accpet other ppls points of views

You say this while telling me that you do not want to hear my point of view, how hypocritical of you.

True life is not a sport and some things are harder to understand than others. To use the rules simply as guidelines is what gives people the right to become tyrants. Imagine living in a world without laws. It would become chaotic at best.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ethereal: I presume Chelsea was saying that you could listen to other opinions in a constructive way, instead of always turning a cold shoulder.

Some people live in a world without laws- its known as absolute freedom. And quite frankly that would be quite an ideal way to live.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 39yrs • M •
quote:
I presume Chelsea was saying that you could listen to other opinions in a constructive way, instead of always turning a cold shoulder.

Of course she was telling me what I should do. But my point is that she doesn't even follow her own advice so why should I?

quote:
Some people live in a world without laws- its known as absolute freedom. And quite frankly that would be quite an ideal way to live.

Not on earth they don't. Everybody on the planet is subject to the law of gravity. (or is that just a guidline?)

37yrs • M •
Ethereal- the term 'laws' I was referring to societal decrees.

39yrs • M •
Even so how can lawlessness be freedom?

37yrs • M •
without laws, your mind/body and spirit are free from societal constraints. Meditation is a form of freedom.

39yrs • M •
Without laws one can only live in solitude. Social constraints do not limit us they make us stronger and unified if used correctly

37yrs • M •
Social constraints are part of the human condition. Most of the time they limit us. But yes they can make us stronger (when applied appropriately), but only as a social group. Solitude can be the key to freedom. I experience freedom when I am with one with nature. This is usually when I am rockclimbing, running and sometimes when I meditate.

commandments - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy