Wars are not won by dying for one's country, they are won by making the other poor bastard die for his country - tanker
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What do you believe? - Page 4

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I still think the purpose, whather practical or abstract, is still highly debatable and can be interpretated different ways. I think "work" and "job" should be defined differently because I think one connotates enjoyment or necessity while the other doesn't. Anyway, my closing statement was that having no purpose doesn't mean that something has no worth. Do you agree or disagree?
(Y'know, a lot of this relates to my atheism, so if we're going to continue to argue like this maybe we should just stop now)

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Anyway, my closing statement was that having no purpose doesn't mean that something has no worth. Do you agree or disagree?

All people have purpose.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No. You're not answering my question. I mean anything (as in not just something that's sentient but something unsentient or inanimate as well). So, the question is: does purpose=worth? Does worth=purpose? I don't think so.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
what does worth mean? answer that first. and the second qeustion was not needed. A=B, means B=A. i just dont like that your trying to sound smart for the sake of sounding smart.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
[  Edited by awakendwraith at   ]
 39yrs • M •
All people have purpose and all people have worth. These two are not dependent on each other. If someone's purpose is evil that does not make them worth less as human beings.
As far as inanimate objects go their worth is based on their purpose. If I have a $100 bill its purpose is greater than a $10 bill and so its worth is greater.

35yrs • F •
quote:
and the second qeustion was not needed. A=B, means B=A. i just dont like that your trying to sound smart for the sake of sounding smart.

I just felt like typing that instead of vice versa, geez! I wasn't trying to sound smart for the sake of sounding smart.

As for ethereal, ok, cool, we both agree that worth and purpose are not dependant on one another. I still hold the same principle true for inanimate objects ( like a broken chair or an empty bottle having worth) but I understand how others might disagree, so that's ok. Great! It seems we've finally settled everything.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
a broken chair has no use. its b roken. it doesnt work. it also happens to lose almost all of its value this way.the only other value it has, is that you can use it for a fire, or fix it. then if you restore its porpose, to help you sit, it will have more value 'cause it can do more things.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • F •
I don't know. I just find beauty in everything, even in filthy industrial plants and litter. Inanimate objects seem to have something about them, not just a beauty but something else I can't quite put my finger on that makes me see more worth in them other than in practical terms. Tom Robbins explains it better than I could in "Skinny Legs and All".

39yrs • M •
"Truth is I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it? Bullocks! Not compared to how people matter."
- Chumbawamba

35yrs • F •
People matter, but, unfortunately, sold-out anarchist bands do not.

39yrs • M •
Anarchy is a joke anyway. But the line is still perfectly relevent.

67yrs • M •
Thomist is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
As to what I believe, I believe that this world and in fact the entire universe was created by a supreme being, whom Judaists, christians, and philosophers have traditionally called God. Intellectually, I am a Roman-Catholic, but in pratice I tend more toward the Anglican.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I dont know what to believe.
Anything is possible so I think that the only way to remain open minded is to never choose one belief over any other for they could all be equally possible.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Short version:

I had a dream that God will take us as if we were a ball of clay and make us unto himself.

I don't know how he is going to do that - all theories are relevent as far as I'm concerned.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
just because mother thereasa stole from the church doesn't make her bad. The church is one of the richest organizations in the world.
Not knowing anything about mother thereasa's activities makes it hard to comment on them.
On the principle that the churches are the members of the organization not the organization & as the principles of christianity is based on sharing [having all things in common] then she stole from the church only if she used it for her own personal gain rather than helping the poor?
quote:
People matter, but, unfortunately, sold-out anarchist bands do not.
Making GOD the authority in your life is not anarchy but making the work (job) lord of your life truely is, so I agree with you there.
quote:
As far as inanimate objects go their worth is based on their purpose. If I have a $100 bill its purpose is greater than a $10 bill and so its worth is greater.
Both are pieces of paper with printing on them. As to their percieved value, people will lie, cheat, steal & murder others for them . . . they are not worthy the perceived value given them.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
What do you believe? - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy