Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Points on Religion - Page 2

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
history

specifically the ratio of advancement to religion during Rome, feudal ages, and renaissaunce.

it went 10:5 for when rome was in golden age, then 5:10 when they fell, then 0:100 during feudal ages then 10:3 during the renaissaunce....

all periods of human advancment have been in unicine with an age of secularism, coincidence? i think not...

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
all periods of human advancment have been in unicine with an age of secularism, coincidence? i think not...

With the world wide rise of secularism today it's a wonder we aren't advancing.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • M •
i pray you're kidding.... i mean, even in that everyday sentence i used a religious word....

we are becoming more and more religious by the day.

what do you think all the wars are about... palestines + israles ; Muslims + american are the big two.

we werent religious in the late 1800s - early-mid 1900s, and now we are on a constant downward spiral.

look at all the power the church is regaining... and now they want power in our government...

i hope i never live to see the day god is law.

39yrs • M •
quote:
i hope i never live to see the day god is law.

It will only happen in Heaven and if you wish you do not have to be there.

quote:
look at all the power the church is regaining... and now they want power in our government...

Countless people want power in the government. But the church holds very little of it, the church has been voted down in favour of same sex marriage, prayer in schools has ceased to occur, politicians trying to take the word God out of the constitution, forced belief in a non scientific theory simply because the government is too scared to acknowledge that God created the world.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
the government is too scared to acknowledge that God created the world.

No, they know and acknowledged that a greater power created the universe, but they also knew and acknowledged that they did not agree on who or what exactly God or this creator was.

They agreed that religion was useful, and even necessary as a form of control and general source of moral standard.

But many did not agree that Christ walked the earth as the son of the christian god.

Deism and freemasonry were the balancing factor that falsify the myth of a Christian based nation.

They specifically noted the dangers of tyranny through theocracy, having escaped a land infamous for it, they figured they may need to make a note in case somewhere down the line people forget or just get the notion that its a good idea.

But they also took note of the existance of multiple religions and peoples right to" believe" what they wish, further detracting from the theory of a ruling religious source inherent to the nation.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Any time you politicise a religion you will get trouble. You will get man using religion to promote his own agenda. Just because you do something in the name of something, it does not neccessarily mean that it is. If you want to see what are 'true' religious wars, you need to look at what there doctrine says., not what so called followers are saying. What does the Bible say about war? What does the koran say about war? etc etc.

lastresort , What about the secular wars commited in this past centry. I believe last centry saw more death through wars than all the previous 19 put together. Muslims + american I think is being twisted by the muslim extremists turning it into a holy war!

finally,
quote:
we are becoming more and more religious by the day
Actually I think you will find we are becoming more and more secular. Religion has been removed from public and resorted it to purly a private matter. "You can believe what every you like, just keep it at home."
What is happening as a result is that there are no moral absolutes. We have so relativised everything that we have lost the foundation of what we believe. Are Laws now depend purely on what the next high court judge rules!

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 35yrs • M •
quote:
Religion has been removed from public and resorted it to purly a private matter.

the fact about that is... there are people to fight it... back when our country was founded the main rule was seperation of church and state...

now people are fighting that rule because they are more religious, and now they want to put religion everywhere.

our government has been doing a rather nice job at holding them at bay, however with the 2nd jesus convention just passed and many senators speaking at it... its just a matter of time before they fail.

48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
And what happens when we succesfully remove moral absolutes from our society?

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 35yrs • M •
who said anything about removing moral absolutes?

no one needs religion to tell them how to behave... take me for example... i do not have a religion, and i have yet to kill someone... or to steal.... or to kick the crap outa someone... i admit, i have been mean, just like every other living person... however i do not believe i will go to hell for it, im not scared of it... i learn from it and live on.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Exactly. There are many people who don't need to be dependent on a religion in order to follow moral principles. They are completly fine without it.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M •
A broke blonde decides to ask God for help. "Dear Lord," she prays, "if I don't get some cash, I'm gonna lose everything. Please let me win the lottery."

Just thought this was a funny joke that combines blondes and god! could it get any better?

Lottery night comes, but the blonde doesn't win. She prays even harder, saying, "God, why have you forsaken me? My children are starving. Please just let me win this once."

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light, and the blonde hears God speak.

"Sweetheart, work with me on this," he says. "Buy a ticket."

39yrs • M •
quote:
There are many people who don't need to be dependent on a religion in order to follow moral principles. They are completly fine without it.

But where did you find those morals to follow?

38yrs • M •
not from an ancient book. The awareness of a moral or ethical aspect to one's conduct together with the urge to prefer right over wrong is found naturally and socially. I was taught christianity for 13 years at school. Even though I was aware of religion especially christianity, I have rejected it. I don't need a 'god' to help me guide through life. I am independent of anything that seems 'greater than me'. My morals are not influenced by cults called religion.

39yrs • M •
quote:
I was taught christianity for 13 years at school

Do you honestly believe there is no connection between that education ad your morals? You may have adapted them to your own purposes but you still got them from religion.

38yrs • M •
That is the essence of education. You can choose to either agree or disagree on what you are taught. My morals have no connection to christianity

Points on Religion - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy