Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What do you think the Future will be like? - Page 3

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Theory is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Eventually the polar ice caps melt and the water slowly erodes the earth until the entire plant is covered in shallow water.

All animals will work on a whole different spectrum and the sun will glow a orangey red. Until the universe collapses in on itself and thus expands to create more life....

"We breathe natures breath until we are tired and layed to rest..."
 70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Actually, recent studies have shown that the universe is not going to collapse upon itself. Instead, being driven by dark energy it will continue to expand at an ever increasing rate, becoming much darker and colder as it does.

36yrs • M
Until it collapses...

Please expand on you mysterious claims.

The universe is designed to stretch away from itself until it cant causing the big squash.

Your claims are feeble as its all speculation not fact.

36yrs • M
The universe is paradoxial and Time is infinate.

70yrs • M •
Theory: I submit that you are simply wrong. Knowing that you would not believe me, I have included some links to some very reputable web sites for your consideration:

http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discoveries/dark_energy/de-fate_of_the_univ
erse.php

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/universe/questions_and_ideas/dark_ene
rgy

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/10/111004-nobel-prize-physi
cs-universe-expansion-what-is-dark-energy-science/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6501456

http://www.virtualprofessors.com/dark-energy-and-the-runaway-universe-al
ex-filippenko

The universe is observably expanding at an ever increasing rate.

What baffles me more though, is here and elsewhere we have had disputes over scientific information. You pronounce as if you are studied in the sciences, when you are not. Given some of your posts, I think it safe to say that you have not even completed the necessary prerequisite Calculus required to enroll in the physics classes you imply. Do you not realize that when you act as if you are studied in science, and are not – it is obvious to anyone who actually is?

BTW, the discarded hypothesis you refer to was never called the 'big squash.' It was called the 'big crunch.' It was one hypothesis that was discarded upon the discovery of dark energy.

[  Edited by thx1137 at   ]
 36yrs • M
First off all thank you for condescending your points, really helped my uneducated brain understand.

The bases of your theories contradict themself.
How can the universe expand eternally yet time not be infinite?

Your equation you posted must of taken you a long time to work out or did you copy and paste that?

You state, that the universe will keep expanding is this a theory or fact?

And thank you for stepping down of that high horse to correct me for the big squash mistake.
Much appreciated

If you want to have an intelligent conversation respect is a good place to start.

If you don't believe in time being infinite or repeated what happens after the universes death?
What happens after time?

I prefer to look at it like this time has infinite layers, all taking place at the same time its only your perception of time that structures it lineal.

PS i never suggested my self knowledgeable... i think this was you.

70yrs • M •
Theory, you asked me to respond:
quote:
Theory: “Please expand on you mysterious claims.“ “Your claims are feeble as its all speculation not fact.”

So, I responded. What am I to say when so much of what you post as factual statement is simply mistaken pseudo-science?

quote:
Theory: “Eventually the polar ice caps melt and the water slowly erodes the earth until the entire plant is covered in shallow water.”
– Wrong. When the sun increases its output as it begins to die, it will not only melt the ice caps, but boil off the oceans. The Earth will be as dry as Venus. The sun will expand, and will engulf Mercury, Venus and probably Earth.

quote:
Theory: “All animals will work on a whole different spectrum and the sun will glow a orangey red.”
– Wrong. All life on Earth will end.

quote:
Theory: “Until the universe collapses in on itself and thus expands to create more life....”
– Wrong. The sun will die long before the end of the universe, which does not appear to be collapsing.

Theory, I am sorry that you are upset, but how else can I say that you just do not know what you are talking about? These are not my theories, but the consensus of modern scientific thought. The increasing rate of expansion of the universe is an observation made by the Hubble telescope. The equations I post are not my creations, but the result of advances in physics confirmed by empirical evidence. None of these are mysterious or feeble as you suggest.

70yrs • M •
However, we stray off topic. None of this will happen in one thousand years. We have got almost a billion years before we have to start worrying about any of this.

...And the original topic was what life would be like at the end of the next millennium.

Personally, I do not expect to be there.

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that littlejohn is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I see things shaping up in th next 1000 much like is protrayed in the Asimov Robot series. A world of machines providing labor for a very small population of humans. Human offspring developed in labs, tight population control, genetic engineering to aid in environmental adaptation.
I imagine the times leading up to that wont be much fun...overpopulation will be a nasty issue to solve given the historical precedence regarding procreation.

36yrs • M
Thx I'm going to agree to disagree here and also attempt to bring the thread back onto subject.
(I feel the argument in hand deserves a separate thread)

Due to my arrogant haist... i only responded to the title of the thread.

If we are talking in the next millenia then that is a hard one.
I would hope we has a race have survived ourselves.

The chances are populations have surpassed themselves and culling is required. (Only in the most extreme sense)

Schooling would be inadequate as micro organisms feed your brain with information.

The sad thing i feel about the future is that i feel we will of lost all communication with ourselves and nature.

70yrs • M •
In the next thousand years I would not rule out that humans could become the first self-determinant evolving species ever known. A hybrid bio-electromechanical being. But, then, this would constitute a new species. We would not be human anymore. Perhaps absolute fiction, but not totally inconceivable. In Star Trek parlance: we would be The Borg.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that andrula is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree, I think humans will destroy the earth in a nuclear war but not for another 1000’s of years. I believe in the near future, we will develop machines that can record our dreams and play them back to us to watch. I think ink, tyres, keyboards, keys, DVDS and many other things will be obsolete. I strongly believe, humans will look like each other and not have a nationality to identify who is who as half casts (mix of nationality) are producing multi-breeds at the moment.

24yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that ravenclaw is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A thousand years is much too far to make any reasonable prediction.. Think of being in the year 1013 and trying to imagine what 2013 would be. No one could have guessed any part of 2013 correctly. I cannot give an estimate of what will happen but I can at least guess how certain things will change, based on what has happened in the past..
If I'm going to be optimistic I might say I agree with what Michio Kaku said, there are going to be new revolutions in technology, in all different areas, and they are going to influence each other and bring about new revolutions. And eventually, a lot of things will become maybe not obsolete but commonplace - think of paper, which has been used for thousands of years, it used to be special, and expensive, like computers today, but now it is commonplace. It is not obsolete but it is so cheap that we have paper everywhere and we buy it in massive quantities, and eventually the same thing will happen to computer technology and all our other technologies.
It seems like medicine has evolved so much over such a long time, but still, to this very day, people continue to attach superstitious beliefs to medicines that don't work, as they have been since the idea of medicine began. Therefore I can predict that although we may develop many new technologies to cure disease, it may not have as much effect as we would like.
Overpopulation and irreparable destruction of a significant part of the environment seems inevitable to happen over 1000 years. If we are lucky then some of it may remain and at least we may be able to bring the world to a stable point. (Again, I'm being very, very, optimistic.) As for self-destruction by nuclear war, well, I don't really want to think about it but maybe we will come up with some technology to find and disable nuclear bombs more easily, which would prevent the total destruction of the world that would otherwise be inevitable.

Andrula, we will take far less than 1000 years on the technology to record dreams. By my estimate, it will certainly be less than 50 years. We already have technology that can guess what word you are thinking of.. it's not very good and requires 250 electrodes to be stuck to your brain but it's a start. And people have already started working on experiments with detecting and recording dreams, using fMRI scanners.
Also, it is good for distinct populations of people to remain separate but also have some intermixing because it preserves individual genetic traits as well as creating new combinations. But I cannot disagree that all of the racism and racism-related stupidity is, well, incredibly stupid.

Thx1137, I like your hybrid biomechanical ideas! I am going to study neuroscience so that I can do exactly that.

What do you think the Future will be like? - Page 3
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy