You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. - Max Ehrmann
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

LIES - Page 2

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Are you saying you don't lie?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
one thing that is really starting to get on my nerves is when people believe beyond the shadow of a doubt that their lies are absolutely one hundred percent truth. im not saying im not guilty of this myself, but i am trying to improve.

lies are so trivial in my experience as well. even "big" lies are pretty trivial. every now and then ill catch myself in a small lie and immediately after it happens i will think to myself "wow that was so dumb."

im improving though, i went through a phase where lieing was somewhat of a hobby, luckily i realized how ridiculous that one was...

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
Regardless of how trivial you feel any lie might be, what about its consequences, like a nation at war is that trivial? People dying because someone lied, be it in war of court or whatever.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
the consequences can be very serious, but the actual lie itself is paltry.

46yrs • M
in terms of it being the source of the consequences is that still true?

46yrs • M
do you know what paltry means, what are you saying by that?

40yrs • M •
paltry - lacking in importance or worth.

lies are just silly and pointless, thats all i am saying.

edit:
they do lead to consequences. consequences which could be avoided by simply not lieing. but we do it anyway for some sort of self gain, which we think outweighs the consequences... or we just dont see what the consequences are, whether by choice or ignorance.

46yrs • M
well there are consequences to the truth too or people wouldn't be so afraid of it to lie in the first place.

40yrs • M •
yep, we speak the truth when we have something to gain from it as well. we are a very selfish species.

62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Are you saying you don't lie?

quote:
I believe everyone lies.

quote:
I'm telling her how excited I am for her and I'm looking forward to the weekend.

BIG FAT LIE.

I think I've already answered you question before you asked.

However, I can't recall lying where I acquired 100% benefits. When I say I believe in karma, it's a very sober principle to me.

46yrs • M
Hmmm, well taz, be careful of denial then is all I can say, and keep in mind that as soon as one person lives a life without lies, which as you pointed out you don't, the universe will implode.

62yrs • F •
Um, perhaps you didn't understand my quotes?

46yrs • M
"white lies" are lies to me, and so far as I have come across, people who think they don't lie, just lie to themselves, maybe you are a special case, not trying to offend, I speak only what I can say is most likely

62yrs • F •
Again, did you read what I quoted? I quoted my self, claiming to have lied to my daughter. Did I say I gave her a white lie? No, I believe my exact words were....BIG FAT LIE.

There are different forms of lies. Example: White lies, Big Fat Lies, Half Truths, and so on. Bottom line, they're all lies.

A co-worker tells me she's on Atkin's diet. She said she lost 38 pounds since she's been dieting. She asks me if I could tell. I tell her most certainly and she looks great. The reality is, I see her everyday and I can not tell. What I told her was a lie. Maybe a white lie, maybe a big lie, but a lie nonetheless. I told her this for two fold reasons. Make her feel good, and save myself some embarrassment. My response was to benefit both of us.

If I walked into work on Monday and told everybody that Donald Trump asked me to be his personal accountant, that would be a lie that would serve no purpose to anyone but myself.

I would be surprised to find many people, including myself, that actually lie for their sole personal gain. I'll even bet, you don't.

Do you?

46yrs • M
Ya sorry, that was my bad, between you quoting yourself and you not telling me what you felt about yourself and how you do lie, i got cornfused.

You said you didn't feel you gained 100% off of any particular lie, well thats up to the other party to decide, and they can't decide that because they are getting lied to.

I've given up on the nobility of honesty, people don't care, they aren't going to change untill they are forced to, and that day will come, and we'll see what happens, otherwise they are more than happy for you to crucify yourself while they lie to save their ass, and fighting that just makes me want to hurt people so, I avoid that more now. After the ex, sheesh, I honestly am not sure that people aren't just allergic to honesty.

LIES - Page 2
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy