The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers. - Denis Diderot
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Welcome to "Atheist vs. God". Join the s - Page 3

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That may be a false impression about atheism, they probably don't think about GOD. Not giving consideration (being ignorant of something) it has little impact on their thoughts?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
I would rather have comfort in my life with my belief in God, than have no comfort in the up and coming death we all will go thru.

What does it hurt to believe...nada!

What does it hurt to NOT believe.....TONS!

Exactly. I believe in a higher power. If that is God, than so be it.

To a lot of people, God gives them hope. I see nothing wrong in believing that someone/something that can provide some comfort in your life.

37yrs • F •
sir weatherhead is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i agree that religion is a way for humanity to attempt to explain the otherwise inexplicable, and yes provide hope in dire situations, but let us look at this believing and this unbelieving, there are some who are, lets say methodist for example, because their father was methodist, this particular person sees no reason in questioning the authority, especially at a young age, because they consider that the their divine order is infalliable, but is the divine order infalliable, are there not situations in the bible that just does not make sense, and how can these minsters keep track of the activities of god?

there are some who question it, and if it does not touch upon their personal emotion then it cannot make sense. let us look to music for that involves personal emotions, say someone sits down at a grand piano and plays beatifully one of beethovens sonata, of course it is no use for someone to say to me "you must love this music because it is by beethoven" this man is an undisputed authority on music and who am i any way, i can be made to feel ashamed that i do not enjoy it and it is fair for them to repeatedly tell me i should enjoy it, that i ought to listen to it repeatedly until its beauty and nature captures my conviction, but for me the "great gulf" is fixed so no matter what the person states i cannot be convinced until in my own experience contend it to be so

thusly it is useless but to present our cases to those who may disagree, it us futile to badger them and call them silly names for it is only up to them whether this opinion will become authenticated

"those who have the most to gain have the greatest desire to deceive, those who have the least to gain, and who want nothing--like the saints--can love perfectly, and that love is not an illusion"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i get a feeling like when i was young like, i dont know how im or anything is here (and i care have feelings of fear) so there must be a god warm person right....... but espescially around recently i began thinking (not rying to prove god doesnt exist) but reason to beleive its just us... we have mental images which are strong, powerful feelings, so mabe we creat this image get attache to it for obvious reasons...
so curtle your statement was wrong when you said athiests dont think of god or the god concept.. cause i guess at times you can call me an athiest as i like to adress the other side thinking what if its just us? for a long time.. im not saying "i dont want to belive or think of god" or "i dont want to go to heaven an dont care if i go to hell"" thats not the case at all. i guess can be labeld an athiest (or the section of my brain, or the time that thought overpowerd my brain came inot play) but i still think of it.. the only reason why i may hold an athiest point is xcause i think of it and so think what if its just us? i wonder if people who believe in god are open minded enough to ask that... just like you say i have to be "open minded" to think there might be a god, youd be equally as naroew minded as me if you believed in god 100% as if i did not believe in god 100% so my turn to adress what if everything was always here (in dif forms) and can possibly be humans with idea of god for many psycological comforting benifits so that force is strong and we stick with itas,,,,

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 40yrs • M •
buti defnlty have perspective n feeling there must be a god cause i dont know.. but if idont know it msuatbe true orser

72yrs • M •
quote:
so curtle your statement was wrong when you said athiests dont think of god or the god concept.. cause i guess at times you can call me an athiest as i like to adress the other side thinking what if its just us?
Not being an atheist, I can not turely sey what it is they believe or do not believe. From my association with those calling themselves atheist, I have noted certain attitude, some of these say they are but their actions & thoughts betray them. A few are truely convicted (convienced) that there is no doubt in them.
It is written to know the Christ is to know the Father, when you know the Father doubt will pass through you, having no place in your mind to cling to, being vague shadows of fear.

40yrs • M •
"doubt will have no place in your mind to cling to" (from an "athist point of view statement.... wouldnt that be becauase the force of the want or need to be convinced that theres something more for you, kinda solid answer to make death of yourself not unknown but attractive..? (i dont think anyone can be labelled one thing (?"athiest" etc.. cause it can change our other parts of brain might think difnlay..

72yrs • M •
quote:
kinda solid answer to make death of yourself not unknown but attractive..?
I tend to think we are saying about the same thing but from the opposite point of view? Hmm . . . death, let see 3 major motorcycle accidents with autos, burns over 25% of my body, perferated appendiicitis, ya well, I guess you could say death & I are acquainted?
we have met on a few occasions

34yrs • F •
Paula is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
well im an atheist and i can honestly say that i am open to what anyone has to say i do not have a closed mind i am a person that simply has to see b4 they believe

"I dun care if u like me!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
that would be agnostic

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that secret07 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Paula, thats the most common reason I hear for being an atheist or agnostic. "I can't see it, so I don't believe it." the problem with this reasoning is it is trusting your own perceptions to tell you what is and is not true. I dont believe our own veiws and senses can be trusted. We block out things that dont make sense to us. As an analogy, take the human eye. Optical illusiongs, in a nut shell, are created when the eye sees something it can't understand, so it makes it into something it can understand. How do we know that our brains don't do the same? You may be seeing proof of God every day, and yet not see it, because your mind blocks it out. Just a thought.

"life sucks but its better than the alternative"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Of, course she already makes the agreed notion of possibility, its the proof that she can UNDERSTAND that is lacking, with what you are saying the opposite is also just as possible, that you may think you are seeing proof of god but aren't.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that secret07 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
true, but the difference is I'm seeing something that she is not, as opposed to not seeing something she is. So if I am mistaken I am seeing something that is in fact not there. If she is mistaken she is not seeing something that is there.

"life sucks but its better than the alternative"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
man, so much seeing!

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, there isn't that much a amount of difference in perception that one person's perception includes God and another person's doesn't. The only difference is that we 'label' things differently, even if those very things themselves are twisted versions of the original.

Look, the thing is, there is no such thing as an 'athiest', I mean how can u say there is no God if u don't know what 'God' is?! Even religious people have no idea of what they mean when they say they believe in God. For that u require experiance.
A question for die hard athiests, if u 'believe'(which in itself is just a perception, or rather, something even lower, a feeling), that as paula said 'I'll c it before I'll believe it', well, then could you please prove to me that you exist? No hurry, so take your time . What, u want me to touch you as proof? Well, thats just a bunch of electrical signals interpreted by the brain. All u ave to do is wire up a brain to a computer, and feed it signals like that, and it will think itself to be a person providing feeling as proof for their existance captain cynic...

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
Welcome to "Atheist vs. God". Join the s - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy