Define freedom; but how is that possible when we as human beings have never experienced it? - zerokool
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The "Void" - Page 4

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
im not saying being "logical" or "faithful" is wrong or right, both have great quailities and great downfalls. personally i think its best to have an even amount of both, but doing that may make most peoples brains explode, i know mine has been on the verge many times i constantly argue with myself about various things because of this. the "void" has been the most difficult for me tho. i keep going from one extreme to the other. one day thinking "yes the void is God trying to speak to me." to the next day thinking "oh maybe this "void" is just some sort of chemical imbalance and God is simply a figment of my imagination" the same applies to just about every discussion on this forum, so you can see why i feel a bit schizophrenic? at times! whichever you are, logical or faithful or both, celebrate it!

PS - we are all probably a little bit of both, now that i think about it...

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Martial, I tend to agre with your beginnig statements. But being cynical I disagree with the latter. I went to college to learn , to understand unfortunately that institution is geared toward making the grade. Scientist & doctors are more interested in making money to fulfill their desired level of survival the same as an animal kills to survive. Predators tend to only kill as much as they need, while man tends to be driven by his greed.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 1943yrs • M •
MartialMan is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
cturtle, i agree that man is driven by greed. When i was younger, my father had us move across the country for a job offer that would pay more. If avarice wasn't a factor, if money didn't matter, we wouldn't have moved, so this proves your point. But... could he not have taken the job to better support his family? and because you are cynical you neglect to realize that not all men are driven by greed. you can't tell me that there are doctors out in the world that have a passion to save patients, that they don't grieve when they fail; that cancer institutions are charlatans simply advertising for funds as a means to profit themselves and not man. So man is greedy and his void is lustful avarice, but man is also passionate and his void is his desire to contribute to the greater good.

"Carpe Dium"
 72yrs • M •
No, I am not saying that everyone is anything but rather the vast majority? Yes, Mother Teresa (sp) is a truly loving person whose compassion leaves little doubt of a lfe following the Jesus the Christ's example. But there is far to few of them to form an opinion that most truely practice that faith> rather I question do doctor,etc practice the hypocratic or the hypocritic oath?
As the disciples of Jesus, argued among themselves, asking 'Who was the greatest?' Jesus answered their question 'He who is servant to the others'. Do they serve others or by their actions promote that they should be served?
'Senior' in Spanish is translated as 'Mister' or 'Sir' in English, the origin of use corresponds to the English 'Lord', the upper class, the wealthy and/or land owners, who occupied the posotiono ofauthority in their existence. While the perception of such may have been eradicated, the fact of such is still very much in existence.

40yrs • M •
this thread went by the wayside a while back, just wanted to know what some of the new members thought, any input?

47yrs • F •
cinnabear is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Hello I have had this same "void" for a awhile. It is not something that comes and goes, it is always there. I feel like something should change but I am not sure what to change. I thought it would go away as I got older but it hasn't. Truly people know that no matter how much alcohol you drink or drugs you do it doesn't change this feeling. Who here is over the age of 25 and still feeling this?

72yrs • M •
I agree we have gone far astray of the origin of the thread, the void.
quote:
i think the "void" in humantiy is a quintessential part of being. Man is driven to act, to think, and to be. We as people live our lives according to what we want to accomplish. The majority of our actions are pertinate to our goals.

This is an apt description of the Void, but what i see you trying to point out is that seeking these things doesn't give relief to the unfulfilled desire and that the reason may be the desire is not of worldly pursuits so it can not be fulfilled by worldly means? That this desire may be of a spiritual perhaps even a need or desire which dwells in the being, the nature of our soul?

40yrs • M •
cturtle- yes. yes and yes

c'mon guys... i know there are plenty of new members!

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, I think c turtle is kinda right of this void not being fulfilled by material needs. Monks, buddhists etc etc must normally not have this void, as they are completely fulfilled, spiritualy as well as materialisticly.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
Monks, buddhists etc etc must normally not have this void,
or perhaps they sense it to a greater extent?
The driving force of their desire?

45yrs • M •
Goozetron3030 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think you guys are getting these voids confused. Someone in an earlier posting was talking about yearning and someone after that was talking about Bruce Lee. These voids are almost completely different from eachother. Wyote, I think that the void you were refering to when you started this thread was probably closer to the yearning that someone else, whose name I can't remember, spoke of before. Now the void that was mentioned by the 15 year old person from before,( I say 15 year old person because I don't remember his/her name either) who was talking about Bruce Lee and The Matrix, could probably be likened to that feeling you got when you were playing alot of video games. You did mention video games right? You know when you are completely in "the zone" as some people call it. Unbeatable at Tekken or some racing game. This void is something that I believe can fill that yearning one. If one can empty his "mind" then I believe anything is possible. Here are a couple of quotes on the subject.
"Even a good thing isn't as good as nothing." Zen saying

"We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds anything we want." Tao Te Ching

I have a book or 11 that deal with this void. Anyway, there is a tip of some iceberg for you. Hope it will help. Peace off....

""Know thyself? If I knew myself, I'd run away." Goethe"
 72yrs • M •
Gee, I must lost the threads intent? I was under the impression of 'have you noted a void in life' & if so can you describe it? Why would I be upset to admit their seems to be something missing, an aspect of it I just don't seem to percieve let alone fulfill? Is it because I would have to have an itch that I just can't seem to scratch or that I need something more than I am receiving?

40yrs • M •
ok, if anyone cares - my computer died and is still dead so i havent been online and may not be for a while *shrugs* figured id post here since this is sort of where i focus my attention heh.

there are definately two types of voids. ive understood this from the beginning. the one i originally spoke of was not the "bruce lee" void. i think the two voids interract with one another in some way altho im not sure how. there is definately a difference between being "in the zone" and feeling as if a piece of you is "missing" ... any thoughts?

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wyote- i did notice you had disapeared I was starting to wonder if you had been taken by aliens and left for dead- but it looks like your computer was instead (bad joke indeed!). I hope your computer can be resurected or burried in a proper manner- I feel your pain I have been down that road....

I think I know what you mean as well in this post- Some days I awake and I feel lethargic and not myself- other days I have a great amount of energy I am chipper and happy- it is almost like being two people. In the past the differences were far more pronounced- I would feel horrible, suicidal and hopeless- and at other times I felt so alive and so incredible like this incredible happiness would wrap itself around me and I felt as though the sun was shinning just for me- I would smile at everyone and the world seemed like a friend smiling back I would love to feel that way again but both extremes are gone.

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 72yrs • M •
Wyote- i did notice you had disapeared I was starting to wonder but it sounds like you will be keeping up even if not as much as before. Here is to a quick & painless recovery.

The "Void" - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy