The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was conving the world he didn't exist. - Verbal Kant
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The "Void" - Page 3

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
thanks for the links deepoid, ive been experiencing life to the fullest, one day at a time, for quite a while now. i am fully aware of the references to buddhism and hinduism within the matrix trilogy (particularly in Revolutions) i wasnt aware of Bruce Lee's book however, and i will surely look into it! as far as the vodka comment, i think you were trying to be funny deepoid? if not, theres no reason for name calling.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 40yrs • M •
so... when im feeling the presence of this void... it indicates what? my desire to achieve this "nirvana" ? i must admit i am a little confused now...

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
*Asks everyone to excuse his age-disriminatory comment*

Deepd, why in earth would you presume to make an all encompassing answer about the voids that individuals feel, based on 15 years of life? Secondly, when you make a comment like Vodka=idiot, at least base your assumption on something relatively more concrete than "(vodka...idiot)" it vastly distorts any of your ability to influence when you make such judgements.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 40yrs • M •
LOL! ok ok, everyone just calm down. Deepoid is simply presenting his thoughts on what this "void" is. i think it is wrong for you to say my thoughts on the void were "misinterpreted" it is simply that i have a slightly different take on what this void is. just because there are books written on it doesn't mean it should be taken as fact Deepoid. i think your wording about the subject is what is irking people. oh and once again, i am well aware of the references to this void in the matrix trilogy, its very presence within the movies is one of the main reasons i love the movie so much! (and also what made me create this thread). oh, and yes, simply understanding what the void is will not allow you to obtain nirvana-detachement-shaktipat. meditation helps in sorting things out and clearing ones mind, i reccommend it to anyone of any faith/non-faith and background of any sort.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would agree with Wyote, I was rather shocked by the aggresive attitudes of some of these comments.
My point Deep, is that the void need not be defined by only one person....just as Wyote said.
So you may understand, some women feel the need (void) filled by creating & nuturing their children and some find creation related to their work fulfilling. Others don't find it or lose that feeling about it, then find themselves feeling the loss sense of purpose or at least having a sense of achievement in their life.
Another way of looking at it, because in a sense it is something in the nature of the individuals being that gives rise to these feeling, each individual seeks to fulfill this need differently.
So in a real sense you are right with your defining of the void.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ExplodingGopher is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would say any void you have comes from a natural human instinct to want more. Human beings have an inherant dissatisfaction with the world around them because the world (and humans themselves) are, by nature, imperfect.

Your unhappiness and 'void' may stem from a number of things; not knowing you, I could clearly not say what it's from. Self-introspection will give you the answer though. Filling that void could very well be the purpose of existence. I'm not one to say because I don't really know. However, when you can achieve a point of satisfaction, you know you're beginning to fill that void you feel.

""The truth to be fair is that dreaming was the first mistake.""
 72yrs • M •
Not to disagree but I think that there is an unexplored aspect of this phenomena. Women come to a point of feeling of crisis as they reach the age when they may no longer can reproduce, this is especially true of women who have chosen to seek a professional statis. The ticking of the biological clock forces a crux of thought upon them causing continual accessing of their values and hopes (desires) for their future!
Likewise humans as they progress in years (tick, tick) revaluate their standing in the world, it is not uncommon for them to find that age has changed relative social values to the extent that which seemed important in their youth has faded with their youth. Some throw themselves into renewed vigor into their work, etc. trying to recapture the feeling of completeness in life. Others turn away from their accepted values seeking to find a new way which will satisfy this need.
For some their life is an ongoing act of seeking the source of this vague feeling, a sense of non-complete being within.
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, not to Harp on it but FYI.
When I was in grade school, Ihad a teacher who tried to help me but her continual efforts to reach me ended in a angry confrontation. I ended up yelling at her to keep her drunken ass out of my affiars, in front of the class. She broke into tears and ran out of the classroom, mortafied (sp). Later when I sat in the principles office she told me that the teacher was a recovering alcoholic, which was rather a surprise because to tell ya the truth I had no idea that she drank at all. The anger I directed toward her was not her's at all but belonged to another.

40yrs • M •
cool, im really glad i made this thread now.

ExplodingGopher -
quote:
Filling that void could very well be the purpose of existence
im glad somebody pointed this out. this is really the root of my thinking at the moment. i have also pondered about the ways filling this void may affect the afterlife (assuming there is one) people filling it in a negative way go to hell, people filling it in a positive way go to heaven... you get the idea.

cturtle - it is my beliefe that this void may be the cause of the "mid-life crisis" that occurs in many adults. i think this happens when adults realize that they havent been filling the void in the most postive mannor possible. or when they have simply ignored/ drowned out this void their entire life and just start to realize its importance. i hadnt thought about the womans side of it much. i cant even begin to imagine what going through that must be like tho, im very glad im not a woman now ...having a hard enough time dealing with it as it is!

[  Edited by Wyote at   ]
 37yrs • M •
mobyman is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
hehe hey guys,

i can see we are all having trouble articulating our thoughts correctly on this topic, It is very hard to explain accurately i think because we all experiance it differently, and perhaps society hasnt given us enough words to describe such thoughts and feelings!!!

But ill give it a go

Personally i think we all need time out from a busy life, and we do things to collect our thoughts and quietly think about the past events. (kind of like night time) --> (a quiet time to reflect)

So we do things to fill this *void* such as, personally, i write on this forum for one, play guitar, write a letter to some friend in america. The point is, in all these activities im really reflecting and thinking. And our ways of filling this *void differ because we all differ in values and society has effected us in different ways, thus we we are emotionally different and have different practiced known meathods to fill the void.

The *void is us, ultimately feeling incomplete about ourselves, and we dont know why so we explore to find reason.

.... yeh lets keep this thread going lol

40yrs • M •
ok, so this "Void" has been described in many different ways, and it means several different things to each person. my question to you all now is, does this void occur because of some sort of "greater power" or is it simply some sort of "malfunction" if you will, in our brain? there have been several posts pertaining to the spiritual side but can any of you back this up with some sort of scientific explanation? i would like PROOF, not heresay.

72yrs • M •
PROOF, not heresay: Can the ego or the id be proven? I have heard it said that one side of the human brain is related to a particular type of thinking and the other another. I wonder, does the subconscious lay at the base of the brain? I never heard anything about it being related to any particular region? Can they scientifically proof that it really exist?
As to the void, as you said you have felt it. What did it feel like to you? Ya, a vague feeling, kind of like when I walked in the woods. As I lifted up leg to step over a limb, I suddenly stopped in stride. Perched on one leg I stood like a stork, trying to keep my balance. What had stopped me, a vague feeling as if something was amiss. As I thought these things, my senses strained to identify the source of the disquiet feeling. Suddenly it came to me, the quiet of the forest. Insect nor bird made a sound , it was as if all were quietly holding their breath. In this quiet, I heard a voice speaking but it spoke not with words "Don't thread on me". Looking down were I meant to step, I spied the snake bathing himself in the warmth of the sunshine.

40yrs • M •
i used the word "proof" to challenge non-believers. im glad you agree with me that this kind of thing can NOT be proven. it seems to me that there are two types of people on this site, the "logical" and the "faithful" and i think this "void" is easier for the "faithful" to understand and accept as something of greater importance. all in all im just tryin to stir up some conflict

37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well that would explain why i had a hard time trying to understand what the heck you guys were talking about this whole time .... i'm the "logical" type and i ain't complainin either

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 72yrs • M •
Ya, I know what ya mean, I don't particularly set any great store in astrology. But I am aware of my signs. I am a capricorn born on the cusp of sagistarius, capricorn is total logic incline while sagistarius is total opposite. Kind of funny thing to read these two signs at the end of the day to decide which was the major influence.

1943yrs • M •
MartialMan is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i think the "void" in humantiy is a quintessential part of being. Man is driven to act, to think, and to be. We as people live our lives according to what we want to accomplish. The majority of our actions are pertinate to our goals. I go to school to receive an education and create a future for myself. The doctor works in order to save lives, the scientist to benefit humanity. All people work towards an end, to fill the void. That is, if you choose to identify this void as the feeling that we must do something with our lives. Without this void (that cannot be filled; i think it was meant to be that way) man's goals would evaporate and so would man. Without purpose or motivation, without reward or satisfaction, what reason is there to be? The animals purpose is to survive. That is why he kills. Again, without purpose, why exist?

"Carpe Dium"
The "Void" - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy