Never argue with an idiot - they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - I R Me
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

"simultaneous and equal cooperation of logical intuitive thinking"

User Thread
 31yrs • F •
airysprite is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
So, I was thinking, you could say that the human has two primary elements which influence it's functioning. I mean these elements to be the instinctual/intuitive part and the rational/logical part.

In the Paul Morris introduction for a translation of Siddhartha he does some talking about how Hesse sought to find harmony through a "simultaneous and equal cooperation of logical intuitive thinking".

I am hopeful that in reading Siddhartha I will better understand what this would look like. It sounds idealistic, doesn't it? I am wondering, however, what others might think of this to be like. Examples of how someone could simultaneously engage their logical and intuitive parts, and in a manner that cooperates?

My idea is a bit like how I am when I work on math--especially proofs. I'm working along, reasoning through my steps, and suddenly I get a weird feeling. That feeling is my intuition speaking. When I'm doing a calculation and I miss a sign or add wrong, my subconscious often "knows" and I just start feeling wrong. Naturally this influences me to check my work, and ta da! My intuition prevented a mistake that my logic made (now I suppose I can wonder why my logic makes mistakes...)

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Siddhartha Gautama was the Buddha. Hesse was recounting in the novel the traditional lore of the earthly prince as he became Buddha. This has also been done in such films as "Little Buddha." The Buddha nature is in all of us.

That said, I am not Buddhist, though I have studied.

The nature describes and acknowledges the fact that we are not limited the logical analytic conscience of our minds, but we also are capable of non-linguistic thinking. If you stop to realize that the bulk of your present conscience thought is in words, or similar (mathematical) thought (linguistic thinking), you will also realize that there seems to be more.

This makes sense. Not only do infants think before they understand language and its labels -- but autistic savants report seeing numbers as colors. Personally, I don't see numbers as having color as an intrinsic quality. But, I can't do the cube root of a nine digit number in my head either. They can.

[  Edited by thx1137 at   ]
 45yrs • M
Post Omega is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Logical thinking: "2+2=4"

Intuitive thinking: "2x2=4"

Logical and intuitive thinking in cooperation: "two and two is four"

70yrs • M •
Post, these are simply semantically different, but equivalent mathematical statements. All mathematical statements are inherently logical, deductive conclusions.

Intuitive statements are those held in absence of any precursory facts. These would based upon what Kant labeled "an irrational leap of faith."

70yrs • M •
I am sorry, but the statement (leap of faith) is most attributed to Søren Kierkegaard. My apologies.

81yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pljames is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Logic. Which is logical, editing or interpreting ones post and why? The writer is editing for mistakes and the linguist is reading between the lines. Both cannot be logical?

[  Edited by Dawn at   ]
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy