If everything that happen's supposed to be and it's all predetermined -can't change your destiny- guess I'll just keep moving someday maybe, I"ll get to where I'm going. (Conor Oberst) - iSOUGHT|THOUGHT
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Do truth and lies really have a purpose?

User Thread
 27yrs • F •
TammyLikesToast is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Do truth and lies really have a purpose when something such as belief exists?
By belief, I'm not talking about any specific type of belief. Example of the type of belief I'm talking about:

Person 1: I'm your real mother.
Person 2: I don't believe you.

Person 2 isn't saying that in accordance to the truth. The person is saying it according to what they believe to be the true.

Sometimes people ignore truth, and lies, according to their own judgement or belief. So are truth and lies really relevant when peoples own judgement/belief has a higher priority?

27yrs • F •
TammyLikesToast is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I see what you've done there.
I just can't understand why some people's beliefs can be more important or more accepted by others.

70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
By it's definition, truth is not relative. But we make it so. We rationalize. We rationalize to make ourselves feel better, or more secure, or more important or whatever... We lie to ourselves.

We then expound our views to others. The more people that believe the same lie we do helps us enforce the lie we have told ourselves.

History has proven truth to be unpopular, even fatal.

This comment excludes the active reinforcement of another's lie. Example: "does this make me look fat"? You are not lying to yourself, but trying not to have the argument that will always ensue if you deny the lie of another.

If a statement is a misrepresentation due to ignorance, it is not a lie, but an innocent lack of knowledge of the truth.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy