Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. - Einstein
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Castles In Europe

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
Euclase is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Castles In Europe
From childhood, I've had a fantasy and slight obsession with castles - all those fairytales with grandiose castles being in the backdrop. Even adult literature like Shakespear and Dracula. My parents used to keep a stack of cardboard boxes for me so and I would cut them up and color them in to create my own little castle hideaways. I loved it!

When I think of Europe I think of castles, if I were to visit Europe, I would map my trip around locations with castles. So far, these are on my castle-tour wish list:

1) Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany
This is my favorite and I love that it's on a hill. It looks like something out of a fairytale - it was the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland Park and the Cinderella Castles at the Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland. Neuschwanstein was built in 1869-1892 by King Ludwig II of Bavaria. The name Neuschwanstein means 'New Swan Stone'.

35yrs • F •
Euclase is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
2) Burg Hohenzollern, Germany
Another castle in Germany that's built on a mountain (Mount Hohenzollern at an elevation of 855 meters (2,805 ft) above sea level, I think it's higher than Neuschwanstein's hill). This castle is interesting because it's older, it was build in the Medieval times and it was rebuilt three times. The first castle that was built at this location in the 11th century was destroyed - 'On 15 May 1423 the castle was finally taken and totally destroyed. Of the first castle only written records still exist.' Then in 1454 building of a new castle began, but by 1798 the castle began to crumble and turned into ruins by the beginning of the 19th century. Finally in 1850, reconstruction of the castle began under Crown-Prince Frederick William IV of Prussia's command.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Rainman05 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Neuschwanstein is actually more like a palace then a castle.

42yrs • F •
Technically, Neuschwanstein is a 'neo-romantic castle'. Castles are usually fortified but the Neuschwanstein was built during a time where castle's were being built for aesthetic purposes more than for fortification.

I've actually been to Neuschwanstein. The interior is spectacular. You're not allowed to take pictures inside though. Lower down on the same hill there is also another castle, and I think it may be older than Neuschwanstein and alot less glamorous.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 42yrs • F •
The interior of Neuschwanstein castle is spectacular - perhaps moreso that the outside if you can imagine it. The story behind it's founder (King Ludwig II of Bavaria) is pretty interesting - I have the impression that he became obsessed with perfecting the castle and ornate embellishes - he was a big fan of the opera and was apparently had a swan obsession. If you can imagine a very fine piece of classical art, then the interior of Neuschwanstein is like wall to ceiling of art. The bedroom was really impressive to me and sort of a sign of this guy's obsession - "Fourteen carvers worked more than four years on the bed canopy with its numerous pinnacles and on the oaken panelings." It's a spectacular piece of carving.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
[  Edited by Dawn at   ]
Castles In Europe
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy