Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Einstein
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Comparison: Universe>Cell

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
Dima is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Right on! First post. I'll get to the point. I recently watched a pretty interesting video on the universe that raise a pretty profound question in my head.

The video was about the big bang and everything that followed and expansion of the universe yadda yadda yadda.

But, at one part in the video physist Brian Cox (large hadron collider/wonders of the solar system tv mini series) made a quick comparison of the universe as a cell (99% empty space&small nucleous)

The thought that it brought to my head was if that was true even remotely true, being a cell it would split and make a copy of itself. And if thaaat were true, then if cells bind together on large scales to create solid objects. Well then the REAL question is; WHAT is the universe building? Tell me what your thoughts are!. Thanks!
Keywords: Universe, cell, building, huh

38yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that EOTW is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
FTU.

It's mostly a cold void with intention to destroy life.

We just lucked out for a few thousand years.

Don't worry, the universe will win eventually and send a huge asteroid to Earth to destroy the human species. And if that ain't enough, the Sun will die out and suck up all the planets in our galaxy into one giant crunch forever destroying all that man has worked hard for.

FTU.

"Nothing Happens On The Internet."
 42yrs • F •
Hi Dima - welcome to CC

Your comparison reminded me of a documentary I had watchted some time ago that compared the vastness of the cell to the vastness of the universe and I thought it was pretty moving. I was trying to find the name of the documentary and I actually came across the exact part I was thinking of on Youtube. If you watch this video - it zones into cells towards the end.

I think what you're suggesting isn't far fetched from the truth because ultimately, the things that are the building blocks of cells are the same as the building blocks of universe. So you could say the whole world is one large living entity.
This video appears to have been removed

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
 34yrs • M •
Dima is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Yes thanks for the good clip dawn! I actually saw 30 seconds of it and decided to watch the entire movie instead, as well as a few other interesting imax vids that were there.

And also thanks for the reply as well, i thought coming to an egghead forum and posting my pipedream thoughts would get me laughed out of the forum, but CC seems to be a good community thus far.

But more on the topic. I've been pondering what the universe in all its grand scale could be building. And for all i know everything we see and know of in the universe could be a drop of water on the leaf of a plant on a planet thats in another galaxy and so on an so on. But maybe that answer is too complicated. Perhaps the universe is far more simple than everyone thinks it is and its not building anything. And we're just along for the ride on a randomly generated universe that only exsists because the potential for it to exsist was greater than 1.

Gah! What am i doing?! Im derailing my own thread, but perhaps i'm just crazy, or an eternal optimist. But i think we will one day find the answer to everything around us. And i bet we will kick ourselves because of how simple it is. The universe tends to be a comedian sometimes and i bet (if it could) it would be laughing itself to death right now with how much we struggle with the answer. But, as humans. Who are the only (known) living things that are cursed with the knowlegde of death and worlds beyond maybe we are better off never knowing the answer. And that life is just a short adventure through a crazy world in a random universe where all we have are eachother... Whoooo knows!

Haha i think i'm going to start another thread on here eventually. I'll call it "My letter to the universe/higher power" and get people to ask questions to the universe in a letter to santa format. Maybe that'll get whoever is pushing the buttons upstairs to man up and give us some answers. #rant

42yrs • F •
quote:
Perhaps the universe is far more simple than everyone thinks it is and its not building anything. And we're just along for the ride on a randomly generated universe that only exists because the potential for it to exist was greater than 1.

I lean towards agreeing that it's more likely the universe was a random creation. Physicist are discovering that matter can randomly occur out of 'nothingness' (anti-matter?) so it's very possible that the big bang simply arose out of nothing.

You're not derailing your thread

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy