Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Genetic engineering

User Thread
 37yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that mutnuaq is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Genetic engineering
I just wondered what you think of genetic engineering.

Watched Hana and realized that there is no way that we "America" do not have "super soldier" programs.

The fear alone of another country developing them first is more than enough for America to start messin' around with genetics.

Also in the 50's and 60's the Russians were trying to develop something similar.

With the mapping of the genome completed years ago I'm just imagine the progress they have made in the past 8 years.

Also imagine what humanity would be like in they next 3 or 4 generations if we created super intelligent humans through genetic manipulation. Those super intelligent humans could make even better humans and those could create even smarter humans after that and so on and so forth.

Genetics is the future for human kind. All we need to do is mingle science and religion and we won't have anymore road blocks.

In Dune the Tleilaxu call DNA "The Language of God".

We wouldn't have access to such things if we weren't "allowed" to manipulate it.

It may be absolutely nessasary for our long term survival. It's going to be geneticists who stop the world hunger issue and it's geneticists who will give us the longest healthiest lives out of anyone else in the history of human kind.

"334jui8"
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that James008 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think religion should be taken away completely and we should accept that it is no deity that will save us but rather we our selves.

"Life is interesting but the universe rules."
 74yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Humanbean is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Messin" with genetics would more likely destroy than save us.

Cloning is one factor....All the clones would be susceptible to the same things....thus making extiction more likely.

Altering genes to produce a specific result is still science fiction...we don't understand it well enough yet. It would be trial & error experimentation on human life.

We have a tried & true method of altering our genetics already....EVOLUTION BASED ON SURVIVAL FACTORS.

74yrs • M •
What are curative properties of cloning?
Growing spare parts?

74yrs • M •
If you are experimenting on clones, aren't they "victims"?

If you're experimenting on lungs in a "closed" control environment, can those results be generalized to populations.

Experimentation has a place in all research but I'm not sure we are ready to "mess wid'dis"....

Could be more dangerous than radiation if abused. Just because "we can" doesn't mean "we should".

74yrs • M •
Decius, I do understand your points but consider this. Man's "messin wid" radiation has caused much death & disease as well as mental anguish....we don't even know the total consequence of it..to date...let alone the future.

I'm not against the principles of experimentation involving genetics but I'm saying...don't jump into things that could create dire consequences until it is more thouroughly understood.

Religious & moral grounds are the least of my worries.

For example, the reason that humans have large skulls and more brainpower has been linked to a gene that weakened jaw muscles. We could unknowingly strengthen a trait which inevitably may produce a race of morons.....

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As far as health goes I think the orient approached it right a couple thousand years ago. Study healthy people first, not sick people, and imitate them. In the west we're so obsessed with disease and decay that it's no wonder there's so little health and vitality left.

Although cloning is an interesting scientific curiosity, I think if we're approaching it as some holy grail for health then it'd be a case of going around the mountain for through the valley.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 45yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Cainchild is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Just whipping up a captain America isn't really going to happen any time soon. It probably won't be nearly that dramatic either.
Most likely a super soldier would be as fit as a SEAL, even prior to training.
The ticket, like it or not, is improved technologies and training.
Genetic engineering is most apt to provide us with better ways to prevent attrition. Cloning has been discussed in such terms, but it turns out that at least with todays methods, the clone is as likely to shoot himself or an ally as they are to shoot the enemy. Have a good look at Dollys sister sheep.

Exoskeleton platforms and robotics are the future. On top of that steroids and other such drugs are likely to prevail. Canadians are already experimenting with caffeine and adrenaline gums and injectors. This way, instead of growing a super soldier, they turn ANY soldier super for 20 minutes.

"Fear is the emotion that prevents us from doing thing we shouldn't have thought of to begin with."
Genetic engineering
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy