Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. - Archimedes
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Did God really make us in his image?

User Thread
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that James008 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
now let me just open this with a simple question. in the beginning God created Adam and then Eve and they had two children. the on child killed the other, then the alive one had to leave and he went and found himself a wife. now where did that people came from as Adam and Eve was the first? my answer is that humans evolved and when we became close to what we are today god came down and bestowed the sole on use and only then we became human and that only Adam and Eve was these humans and the one child left to marry a "earth" human while he was a spiritual person.

now that did he make us in his image part. what believe is that the appearance the we have(the human body) is just as the bible states the vessel in which the sole finds itself and therefore i think god looks nothing like us and what he really meant is that he looks like the sole which he bestowed on us to make us human. and as far as i know the spirit has no form and therefore god has no form, but only a presence.

so what do you think?

"Life is interesting but the universe rules."
 63yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that manbible is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You've misunderstood the value of the first few chapters of the Bible. In the first chapter God through the writing of Moses gives us an over all view of creation including mankind. Along with our creation came the command to fill the earth. In the second chapter the creation of humanity is revealed in greater detail. Not until the third chapter comes the fall and after that came the murder of Able at the hands of Cain. So the earth was in the process of being populated for some time before Cain and Able came along. The image of God that we have is our moral conscience and self awareness.

"To love oneself is to love others."
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am not dismissing your views, but should you not also consider this from an evolutionary perspective? Genesis talks of instantaneous creation, something which i find quite hard to swallow. Also manbible, where in Genesis does it talk about humans being around outside of Eden?

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
 63yrs • M
TheHollowMen275,

If I did, I (and you) would still need faith in the instantaneous creation of a life.

In Genesis 1:26-28 you will find it reads: "26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

It's not a stretch to understand from that to realize that man had been given access to the entire planet. In fact we were commanded to cover the earth and reign. Nor would it be an invalid assumption to think that since the beginning of time, time continued to pass. So by the time we get to chapter 3, after God banishes humanity from the garden we see they still have access to the rest of the world since they now have to till the ground for food where as before they only needed to eat from the garden. Then in chapter 4 God condemns Cain to live as a nomad and he finds a wife in the land of Nod. Which was east of Eden. So obviously mankind had been obeying the command to replenish the earth during the passage of time from chapter one threw chapter 4. Keep in mind chapter 2 is largely a more detailed account of creation from the first chapter, specifically focusing on the creation of man.

Replenish means to fill or refill.

re·plen·ish   [ri-plen-ish] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to make full or complete again, as by supplying what is lacking, used up, etc.: to replenish one's stock of food.
to supply (a fire, stove, etc.) with fresh fuel.
to fill again or anew.

So, I hope this answers your question.

29yrs • M •
Do you know what this means manbible. i was not aware of replenish in the bible!!!

but this word is really jumping out at me, because this is more like God is admitting something came before us, therefore it could be God saying there was dinosaurs before us!!!

and when he says it to Noah it is directly refirring to the humans before him vanished and now he has to repopulate so it can mean in that when he said it to the "first humans" he meant there was something before them and they vanished and now it's your turn.

and i want to say do you know what means nothing, and not the conventional nothing i am talking about the nothing outside the universe?

63yrs • M
Yes I do. And you're right. According to the creation story in Genesis 1&2 all forms of physical life on earth was created before humanity. Upon our creation we were commanded to do what the other species were already doing by instinct before us. They filled the earth. We did the same thing after them and that resulted in the earth being filled again.

No, I do not know what that specific "nothing" is.

29yrs • M •
well i am then sorry but it is almost impossible to explain and as of this far i have never successfully explained it. and i do not really want to try it again as i myself has not fully explained it to myself. so no matter how hard i try to quantify it i will not succeed

74yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Humanbean is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Our true image, at the quantum scale, is a quantum world of waves under partial control of our unique perspective.

God's true image, at the quantum scale, is a quantum universe of waves under partial control of God's unique perspective.

57yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that WolfLarsen is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When I go to the zoo I notice that the primates on one side of the cage look pretty much like the primates on the other side of the cage. We come from gorillas. That's why people look like gorillas.

74yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Humanbean is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We don't "come from gorillas" but we share a common ancestor.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy