Though I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at 80,000ft and climbing! - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The God Paradox

User Thread
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The God Paradox
Just something i was discussing with my dad.
The Christian God is often described as omnipotent and omniscient, yet do not these two terms contradict each other?
For example, if God makes a decision, his omniscience means that he would have know what choice he would make, and yet therefore it would not be a choice. However, conversely, if he is omnipotent then surely, he could in fact be making a choice and so he would be contradicting his omniscience. Yet he would have already known that he would have made this choice, and so he contradicts his omnipotence. *Universe explodes*

Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

"All the world's a stage. And all the men and women are merely players."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Maybe he's so powerful he can even contradict himself if he wants to.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As usual, a definition of god becomes a huge point when discussing, well, god.

But this concept can be worded differently as well with the same meaning.

Existance, as the concept infinity exists.

True infinity encapsulates all things and concepts individually, collectively, and indeed contradictory in infinite combinations and directions.

Therefore, infinite something (solid matter for example) filling all space with no room for any bit of what is called nothing.

Yet, paradoxically, in infinity, nothing, like zero, exists, also infinitely to the point where no thing can exist anywhere.

Yet both concepts exist in infinitude, even depend on eachother, in complete paradox.

Its the same with the concept of trying to figure out which came first, the chicken or the egg!

Where did everything come from, if from nothing, how? And is not nothing something? It is definitely a.concept and a.word, yes no?

Everything came from god. Oh? Where did god come from?

I have accepted paradox as the fundamental reality. I don't exactly know what that means other than everything is and is not, must and must not be, at the same time at all times and dammit, that tells me I get to have.some fun!

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 46yrs • M
There is a degree of irony so deep and articling about that recording, I do believe my mind was just blown.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 46yrs • M
Times two even.

And this is hilarious to me, I personally never knew Carl Sagan smoked pot, for such a reference to "spacey god talk" by stoners, such a person would be in good company.

An open advocate even, the open part not as surprising given the times. But Im sure I would be surprised to see the list of famous intellectual pot heads. I don't know if it was true about so many American founding fathers doing it as I've heard so often. But it wouldn't surprise me.

To elude further on some of my points of irony, I personally was stone cold sober writing all of that, but literally had just gotten stoned right before hearing that, lol, and it blew my fucking mind!

Something I haven't been able to do for years

46yrs • M
Omniscience equals predeterminism? If you are an infinite god than you do every concievable and inconceivable outcome anyway. And only an all powerful being could even be capable of doing all things, especially at once!

28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheHollowMen275 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But the point I was trying to make is that choices cannot be predetermined, because then they would not be choices. An omniscient God may know that they will make a choice, but if they are omnipotent then they would not be making a choice. Does that make sense?

28yrs • M •
But the point I was trying to make is that choices cannot be predetermined, because then they would not be choices. An omniscient God may know that they will make a choice, but if they are omnipotent then they would not be making a choice. Does that make sense?

45yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Cainchild is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The argument has been made that God knows all that HAS happened and IS happening. The arguments of God being omnipotent and omniscient is figment of peoples imaginations. No where is the bible is this so well defined, nor are any of the passages pertaining to this interpreted with an understand that for primitive folks, describing god might entail a few poor descriptors and exaggerations.

There are also places in the bible that elude to certain notions, such as God choosing not know certain things, like what people are thinking. I am pretty sure he can do that if he wants to, I mean remain ignorant to a few things. He is, after all, God.

You're also assuming that the predetermination cannot change. God says on Tuesday I will make this choice, and then on Wednesday changes his mind. Did he know he would change his mind? Who knows. Especially if God is female, then she has the right to change her mind, and often does.

All of this assumes God to be an unchanging thing, unaffected by the tide of time. This is fundamentally untrue. Alot has happened in the universe in the last second or two, after all. The manifestation of all that has happened has changed, therefore God is sensing that and has thus changed.

"Fear is the emotion that prevents us from doing thing we shouldn't have thought of to begin with."
 46yrs • M
Both quantum and claims of metaphysics suggest that time is not actually linear, but rather omnidirectional and accessable, and generally otherwise looped or like a record where you can choose and spot to lay a needle.

In the remote viewing project by the government, there were targets that were thought to be wrongly described descriptions and drawings due to unknown structures. But a check of some historical data showed the buildings used to exist.

62yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that manbible is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think everyone has missed the most important point. Which is we make choices. God just is. That is why he said "I am" When Moses asked who he was. It is a concept for which we have no words to fully describe nor do we have the ability to fully comprehend.

"To love oneself is to love others."
The God Paradox
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy