Sometimes I simply feel that the whole world is a cigarette and I'm the only ashtray. - PhoebeKnowsAll
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Imagine a world without religion.

User Thread
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that forgottentruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
'Imagine a world with no religion. Imagine no suicide bombers, no 9/11, no 7/7, no Crusades, no witch-hunts, no Gunpowder Plot, No Indian partition, no Israeli/Palestinian wars, no Serb/Croat/Muslim massacres, no persecution of Jews as 'Christ-killers', no Northern Ireland 'troubles', no 'honour killings', no shiny-suited bouffant-haired televangelists fleecing gullible people of their money (God wants you to give till it hurts,)'

A quote from Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion'. I agree this is very one sided but do you think the world would be better with or without religion?

"All we see or seem; is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allan Poe"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Probably no different, politics becomes religion, sports becomes religion, flags become religions.

As long as you have herds of people, they will be shepharded to war for the sake of power of the shephards.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that forgottentruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
True but so far we haven't had any politics bombings or sport bombings... To my knowledge at least, without religious bombings 9/11 would not have happened, No "God told me to kill this country".

At least with politics and sport there is a physical being that is in charge, with religion there is 'God' who is so loosely translated and could mean almost anything. Steven weinberg wrote in Dreams of a Final Theory: "Some people have views of God that are so broad and flexible that it is inevitable that they will find God wherever they look for him. One hears it said that 'God is the ultimate' or 'God is our better nature' or 'God is the universe.' Of course, like any other word, the word 'God' can be given any meaning we like. If you want to say that 'God is energy,' then you can find God in a lump of coal."
If we could put our trust in a physical being like we do with a queen or king then at least they can be proved to be real, and do not cause fights over which God is real, as each one can be seen.

It would also have a sense of equality, God is suposed to be high and might over all humans, another human is not.

"All we see or seem; is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allan Poe"
 46yrs • M
political bombings happen all the time, most is just called war. And 911 actually may be different than you were taught, fyi.

Google false flag to get an idea of the deceptive nature of another side of political bombings.

As for god vs kings, my god's better than your god, my king's better than your king.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that allimar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The ideas of many religions are about the same and generally just another pursuit of controlling the masses. The problem typically occurs when you have individuals pursue extreme, skewed views of said belief.

It's important in any society to believe that working together, unified and pooling resources (taxes, government ect) overall improve the human capability. Problems here arise when people become to fearful of advancement and progressive development.

"The more you learn, the less you know."
 46yrs • M
Problems arise when people put the responsibility of power in hands other than their own when doing any pooling.

Progression is hindered by corruption which is caused by weakness in the individual which is caused by fear and dependancy on a "parent" body past the time of needed self sufficiency, as well as by lacking basic humanity imparted by a wise and honest community or parent body.

The balance so often spoken of.

68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To imagine a world without religion or war will seem very boring – what then will you spend your energy on?
The fact is that we have all been heavily invested in pain – taking a stance for it or against it, it makes no difference.
We have all be paying in dividends to a collective pain body (named religion, politics, war or whatever) and we pay with the only thing of real value that we have – our energy.

The collective pain body is the dark shadow under which all such things exist and the ego is its spokesperson. It needs war to survive and will find a battlefield in any and every situation. Any fighting or even resistance to it pays dividends and this is how it gets stronger with our unconscious support or even our resistance.

The contempt of such truth is actually fear of your awakened consciousness. It is afraid of being found out because its survival depends on your unconscious identification because in this way you keep paying with your energy whenever your ego demands it - and it needs masses of energy to survive.

Religion, Politics and War all manipulate us via the fear of death - the irony being that all of these things will die regardless. But unless we look it in the face and recognize our own delusion we will all be forced to relive it again and again. Religion,Politics or War are only organizations that garner Energy in the same way Government garners Taxes. They will not be ignored but cannot prevail against the power of your presence.

30yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 7amood11 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If there were no religion, everything would become worse...

You see, when a man sees a good-looking woman walking down the street, he would definitely want to rape her, but then he remembers that Allah has forbade such an act, so the man restrains himself.

It works the other way round too. We all know that in Islam women cover their bodies and hair and sometimes their faces. For example, a Muslim woman who is covered up in a abaya and hijab is walking next to another woman who is wearing very small and tight clothes. A man walks by. Who do you think he would be able to picture naked? The woman who you can't see any part of her skin? Or the woman who has 90% of her skin showing? It's obviously the latter.

My point by the last example is that Islam tells a woman to cover up like that so no man can get horny over her or something which would lead to her getting raped.

You see, religion is a very important part of the society. It stops people from committing crimes and doing the wrong thing. Yeah 9/11 and all those other terrorist things happened, but those guys would find a different reason to kill if there was no relgion; they're insane people, that's why.

33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Kratos is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
sounds like man is the problem

"In the chills of brutal cold winter, I realised that within me lay an invincible summer"
 31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Oblivion is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
You see, when a man sees a good-looking woman walking down the street, he would definitely want to rape her, but then he remembers that Allah has forbade such an act, so the man restrains himself.

Lol.

So what you are saying is: When I walk by a fine ass chick, I definitely want to rape her. However, i do not because Allah forbids it?

Lol

First off, i have never once had to choose to not rape a girl. I have never had the urge. I dont want to do it because of how i was raised. Not because it is "forbidden".
Second, I do not give two shits about what Allah, God, Jahova, or Barney "forbid". I am Agnostic.

I would bet 10 bucks to say that 9 out of 10 rapists claim to be Christian or religious.

Upbringing is the key. If we use your point (that religion prevents the horrible raping of women), then the world can function just fine without religion, in theory. Just so long as everyone, instead of being raised to be the religion of their parents, are raised upon good ideals and morals.

"If You Aint Ammo, You Aint Shit."
 30yrs • M •
"Lol.

So what you are saying is: When I walk by a fine ass chick, I definitely want to rape her. However, i do not because Allah forbids it? "

Yes....

"Lol

First off, i have never once had to choose to not rape a girl. I have never had the urge. I dont want to do it because of how i was raised. Not because it is "forbidden".
Second, I do not give two shits about what Allah, God, Jahova, or Barney "forbid". I am Agnostic."

There are people who do have very strong urges to rape a girl, but they don't because Allah forbids it....I'm not saying this happens every time, people no matter what their religion is would still dismiss what Allah forbade and try to rape a girl...But in some cases, they restrain themselves.

"I would bet 10 bucks to say that 9 out of 10 rapists claim to be Christian or religious."

Bring me evidence of that...

And even if that is true, I'd bet you that there would be many more rapes occurring if Allah did not forbid these kind of actions.

"Upbringing is the key. If we use your point (that religion prevents the horrible raping of women), then the world can function just fine without religion, in theory. Just so long as everyone, instead of being raised to be the religion of their parents, are raised upon good ideals and morals."

Yeah, of course upbringing has a lot to do with it, but religion plays a role as well. It doesn't stop every single rape around the world, but it does play a part, that's for sure.

33yrs • M •
religions track record of humanitarian services is non existent, so what of the instances where people have killed for their religion, and the majority of religions see murder as the the ultimate wrong, if your people have killed for your religion before whats to stop them from doing it again? obviously the words of your god mean nothing to you if you can murder people so easily for him/her/it, the fact is simple good people need religion to do bad things and get away with it, who can say anything if your doing it in the name of god? Can you imagine if the Nazis said they were doing gods will by killing jews!

"In the chills of brutal cold winter, I realised that within me lay an invincible summer"
 30yrs • M •
"religions track record of humanitarian services is non existent,"

That means Oblivion can't prove the "9 out of 10 rapists are religious" statement...

"so what of the instances where people have killed for their religion, and the majority of religions see murder as the the ultimate wrong, if your people have killed for your religion before whats to stop them from doing it again? obviously the words of your god mean nothing to you if you can murder people so easily for him/her/it,"

Those people who pretend that they are killing for religion are just looking for an excuse to kill. As soon as they get an intention to murder, they're no longer practicing religion.

"the fact is simple good people need religion to do bad things and get away with it,"

Exactly...They're using religion as an excuse to kill...

"who can say anything if your doing it in the name of god? Can you imagine if the Nazis said they were doing gods will by killing jews!"

Err...Didn't understand this last part.

31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Oblivion is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
That means Oblivion can't prove the "9 out of 10 rapists are religious" statement...

What i said there was not fact. It was simply an educational guess. Hence the "I would bet...".

But you asked.

From what i found, there are aproximately 717,000 sex offenders in the United States.
Aproximately 86% of Americans are religious(non- Atheist/Agnostic)
So, statistically, aproximately 609,450 out of 717,000 offenders are religious. Or 8.6 out of 10.
Now that is based on statistics and is, by no means, fact.

Anyway. I am really not sure if the world will be much different. I think i agree with Ironwood for the most part.

Here is another thing. Look at Catholics. They are the main cause of all the problems in the past 2000 years associated with women not having equal rights. Salem Witch Trials, etc. What would the last 500 years been like if there was no Catholisism?

"If You Aint Ammo, You Aint Shit."
 33yrs • M •
Actually it proves oblivion right more than anything,my point is most religions have texts that promote violence when dealing with heretics or others of the nature, it sort of ties in with my point about Nazis almost all religious texts say that if you aren't a believer you'll go to hell, people used to and still do take something like that seriously, what would the judges at the Nuremberg trials have said if the excuse was were doing gods will!

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy