Attempt to get a new car for your spouse -- it'll be a great trade! - Beatleboy182
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Disagreements With Conventional Knowledge

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've got a couple but for now I'll just post one.

Starving yourself as a form of dieting. Really, I don't see anything wrong with it. Its not the healthiest way to do it, but so what. After a long fast I usually feel much cleaner. i also feel weaker, but the feeling only stays while I'm not eating.

For instance, yesterday I ate a lot of greasy food and I woke up feeling slugish. When I woke up and looked in the fridge all I saw was left overs so I decided that I wasn't going to eat a whole lot. Honestly, its a good way to save money, to cleanse my body and to drop a pound or two of fat.

Its not that I don't eat anything, I just ignore the hunger pains. Then they turn into sick feelings, then I ignore them, then the feeling goes away entirely. It cycles like that for about four hours. I just ate a waffle and my body went into overdrive to consume it and when it was done with the waffle it was still in overdrive so I got hunger pains again, but after ignoring them they just went away. I am already feeling more healthy.

Starving also works well while working out. Its simple math.

3000 calories for pound of fat.
Your body burns about 2k a day just to sustian life.
If I eat only 500 calories, (plenty to stay relatively healthy) I lose half a pound of straight fat a day. The reason why it is straight fat is becasue I have no carbs in my body because I havent eaten any. Any extra protien or carbs from a few days ago is fat by now. If I do strength training, short presses, like push-ups, normally I would use carbs for the energy. But, this is also the point of the atkins diet, I have no carbs in my body so my body uses fat. I may not gain any strength, because my nutrition isnt what it needs to be in order to grow, but nearly 100 percent of the energy I use will be from fat. After all, hunger pains are you body eating itself. The first thing your body uses, after short energy (sugars and carbs) it uses fat.

So if I do like 50 push ups ill burn most of what I ate today, which leaves me burning nearly 2/3 of fat a day, with minimal effort.

Obviously I wouldnt do this for more than a week, but if I told someone that im fasting all week long, essentially starving myself, they'd prolly look down on me without knowing anything about it.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 37yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that mutnuaq is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGE_BuLKCiA

conventional knowledge works this way. It's all 10th hand and beyond information you're getting. 1st hand experience is all we "know" for a fact. Let's think global warming of the 90s and cooling of the 70's EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!!!!!!!!!!! Different opposing information that "everyone" knows.

"334jui8"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The first rule i ever found out when it comes to diet is that no one can agree on whats right. I remember getting into fitness very young and reading as many books as I could come across and they all contradict one another. So i guess the best thing you can do is follow what your own body is telling you and you shouldn't go wrong.

But I don't know about your body burning fat first if you don't eat. How muscular are you? If you have muscle mass you do relise your body will burn muscle before fat. And that muscle burns energy more than fat does so you will lose fat faster than if you have no muscle mass.

As for starving yourself- but still eating and getting hunger pains after only 4 hours? Wow dude. You call that starving? I go the entire day without eating and only eat late at nite. I know this is bad for me but i hate the sluggish feeling any food in my system gives me when trying to do day to day stuff.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 35yrs • M
Well, when you break your muscles down, working out, it requries energy to build them back up. I've got plenty of body fat and not a lot of muscle.

Your body knows what is more useful. Muscle or fat, so it picks the thing less useful... I think...

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 42yrs • M •
I guess it depends what youre wanting to do with your body. If youre wanting to bulk up and get muscular it will take time and effort. It took me over a year to get any size at all when I first stated working out. Because I was painfully skinny. And i had to eat MORE than I was burning to get the muscles I wanted. But losing weight you already have will not be a problem as the energy you burn when you work out will be used to fuel your muscle growth.

But if you want to lose weight and nothing else then burning more calories than you put into your body will work just fine. Just be aware though, that when you starve yourself you are teaching your metabolism to slow down. This means when you eat food normally again, it will be working in "starvation mode" and you may find you put more weight on than you had previously.

(And don't skip carbs altogether. When the "no carb diet" came out in the early 2000's a bunch of young girls who stopped eating carbs ended up dying.)

[  Edited by Chained Wings at   ]
 35yrs • M
I've been on and off into fitness and I'm pretty knowledgeable.

What I was trying to say is that I feel that starving yourself is a legitiment way to feel better. But that many people would tell me that its bad and they know that i shouldnt be doing it.

42yrs • M •
I guess it depends on what makes you feel good. Like I said, there is no consensus on what is good and bad to eat. Wether starving yourself for short periods of time is bad for you will vary depending who you talk to.

So you can only use your own body as the best source of intell for that.

35yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that vigil is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Awakend, I get where you're coming from.

And surely you eat a few things during the week in order to sustain some energy?

I admit that if I overeat for a few days and wake up feeling sick and sluggish one day, my body naturally craves less and lighter food. For the first day I may not eat anything at all, because I find that this really does make me feel much better and allows me to "reset". Then the next day I may have half an apple for breakfast and a small salad for lunch, and then maybe 2-3 crackers with tomato and cheese for dinner. Very light and sparse, drinking lots of water. I can't say that I could ever go a full week with eating only one meal a day or less, but that's just me.

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Adam Seth God is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
one meal a day - for years... what i eat wouldn't likely satisfy most birds...

your other posts caused me to seek some more... imagination aside

"\\\"The Empty Vessel Makes The Most Noise\\\" - Shakespear"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy