Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Spirituality: What Does It Mean?

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I feel at a loss for words when attempting to clearly define the idea of spirituality. Before I make an attempt, I would like to hear what other people think.

What does being spiritual mean to you? As an atheist, I long ago discovered that the idea of spirituality, to me, feels utterly separate from dogma, God, or the general concept of religion (texts temples and priests). Perhaps I am wrong, and that is why I can't define it.

What is its nature? Where does it come from? What is its inevitable intention?

Your thoughts?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Spirituality, matters pertaining to or of the spirit. To attempt to answer such a question one must define "spirit". Personally I've come to see the spirit as the individual part of the collective whole of consciousness. It seems to be the energy or "etheric" body that has "detatched" from the collective to subjectively experience and expand itself. Spirituality appears to be the avenue of fulfillment and enlightenment. The attainment and distribution of truth, knowledge, and wisdom on the one hand and love on the other. All geared towards the collective improvement and advancement of all. At least, this is what it has come to mean to me.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Squarepants is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree with Iron wood, 'Truth and Love' are near the core of spirituality. Any deeper and you just get the 'IS', language is not required.
People you may regard as spiritual are very attuned to their emotions of the here and now.

"I hungry"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The character of Socrates in Plato's Republic suggests that the soul is everything that is good and pure. Perhaps that good feeling you get when you help someone pertains to the soul and the key to spirituality.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 38yrs • M •
EOTW2 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Spirituality is the opposite of actuality.

Spirituality is an umbrella word for those that can't accept actuality, or reality, and need a narcotic belief system to soothe them over until they get over what they are suffering from.

32yrs • F •
junkieThirteen is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
To me spirituality is feeling that there is something more, something bigger than me.

Helps obtain an equilibrium between a kneeling devout and an arrogant ass!

31yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sammy K is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that spirituality means believing the impossible to be possible so that we are not limited by what we think are our limitations.

38yrs • M •
Mindsoul is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Spirituality is the belief in the spiritual-natural,it is not the same as religion which is an activity of going to church and mosque to worship a higher power, rather the spiritual believers seek for the development of there soul through enlightenment and self development.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy