People come in to your life. People go out of your life. What always stays is you. - captain
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Daydream Adventure Club

User Thread
 35yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that vigil is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hello

I adore daydreaming. I seem to do it about everything, from my future, to adventures, to making up random characters or just dreaming up a setting that I'd like to find myself in one day.

If you do that too, or would like to, post your thoughts or creations here, whatever they may be. I for one, would love to see them. =)

35yrs • F
I've always wanted a tree house but I never had a proper one as a child. I'd love to have one still and am determined to, one day. It would be more of a mini house in a tree though, I've seen them on the internet! They have windows with glass in them and are built stronger and thicker than normal tree houses. I wouldn't want it fitted out like a real house though, just simple. Actually, I should draw the inside of it sometime, that is a good idea. Or all the possibilities of what the inside might look like, because really I'm not quite sure yet.

I could adorn the inside with all of the drawings and paintings that I do. I'd invite friends to spend the night sometimes and we'd sit with lanterns and make up adventurous tales on the spot. When we feel like it we can wear silly costumes for characters that we've invented or our favourite ones from books or tv. We could have picnics with scones topped with strawberry spread and cream and tea and biscuits and chocolate covered strawberries and sour straps (I really like sour straps) and sandwiches. I'd spend the days lazing about in the sun outside reading books and maybe listening to the radio (with batteries). And kite flying if it is windy enough. =) Oh and I'd take my camera with me all the time.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You know, when I was younger I always used to want to make a kind of tree house city - sort of like that one level on donkey kong for SNES with all the beavers and the cool music. There would be multiple tree houses and they'd all be connected with bridges. It would be awesome!! I thought about making something like this for my little bro and sis and I even talked about it with my dad years ago but we just forgot about it over the years. It would be a sick playing field for air-soft or paintball... maybe I'll get around to it next spring!!

"The truth will set you on fire"
 35yrs • F
A tree house city is such a great idea! I've actually never even really considered that in real life before which is odd, because I am sure I have read about such a setting before, or seen something very like it in a game.

Wow, lots tree houses connected by bridges, that would be awesome. Me being me though, I'd probably somehow try to wrap or hang fairy lights around the bridge handles...that would be nice and also you could better make out where you were going by night. & good if it weren't a fire hazard?

Yes, playing paintball in that setting would be so much fun. Or even just fighting with water balloons =p

If you draw up the plans one day, that would make it a just that little more achievable for whenever you do get around to it I think you definitely should, it's exciting!
I want a tree house city now damn it!

I wish I had my own personal artist so that I could transmit the images from my brain into theirs so that they could draw things in as much detail as I imagine. It is so frustrating to have images in your head that you can't get out onto paper...

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
All my elementary school teachers wanted to medicate me for not being able to pay attention. I just really enjoyed staring off into nothing and imagining all the things that I "could" be doing if I were somewhere else.

Daydreaming is my oldest hobby.

I just got back from taking my gf to class and I walk in from the back door and step into the kitchen. For some reason my mind thinks, what if I had never seen a kitchen before, how odd would these things look? What if I was a cave man and had no shoes (at the time I wasn't wearing shoes)". Then I find myself imagining all the different difficult terrain I would have to walk on without shoes. The jungle, a mountain. Now I am an explorerer. Going from one exotic location to the next. Now I am 5 steps away from the kitchen and I am back to reality. I sit down on my computer and read this thread.

I am now a poet or a writer of some kind. I am making a manifesto. Writing down little thoughts after little thoughts. I am reminded of the romeo and juliet movie with leonardo. And I am now 13 again. On a dirt road with a pellet gun and a surplus of small wild life. Squirrels, birds.

I am now in an orange grove throwing oranges at my best friend and brother. Three hits and your out.

I see the collage of magazine cut outs on my computer desk. My gf and I planned on gluing them down but never did.

I am reminded of how lazy I have been my whole life. I dislike it.

I say to myself. i wish I could go home, but I don't know what that means. Probably nothing and I dismiss it.

That was fun.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • F
Sometimes I think about what it would be like to be someone else as well.

Like being one of the Bronte's.

I always imagine the 4 of them sitting around a large stone that acts as a table, dressed warmly in cotton dresses with coats, mittens and boots because the grass is wet with dew. Their cheeks are tinged with pink because of the cold. Two have their hair done up in braids. Emily wears hers in two braided pigtails, while Charlotte has them curled up in buns on either side. Anne is the only one that wears her hair out, but she has pushed it back from her face with a headband. Branwell wears brown pants and a warm jacket and has a satchel that has their lunch of apples and cheeses inside of it for later, with flasks of water as well. Charlotte has made Emily a daisy chain that she wears like a crown. They have small wooden toy horses that belong in a polished wooden box with brass locks, the inside lined with velvet. They line up the wooden steeds on the stone 'table' sometimes when they are making up battle scenario's between their kingdoms, Angria and Gondal. They take turns reciting poems and articles to each other that are from their kingdoms. The sky is always cloudy but the sun peaks through every now and again. There's a cool breeze in the air and there are a multitude of tall, flat, fat, small and large rocks living in the area around them. They are situated on top of a hill at the back of their parents manor, which overlooks some of the valley below.

35yrs • F
I just draw places and things I'd like to be doing, as simple as they may seem to anyone else. I like doing peaceful and reflective things, like drinking tea on the porch (not that we have a porch) and watching the night sky and flicking through a picture books and drawing and laying on my bed listening to the sounds outside of my window.

I often feel frustrated in my day to day life because I hardly get to do these things and I share a house with 5 other people, so it's hardly ever quiet. Sometimes it just makes me feel so dead and tired and helpless, the constant noise of the TV or music blaring out of speakers.

And then I go to work and deal with nice people and angry people and apathetic people and at the end of it all, I feel so strung up and empty and tired, tired, tired because people take so much enegry to interact with, it's insane.

Sometimes I get a few quiet moments to myself where most of the people are out of the house and I feel like I can breathe a bit more. I think and daydream and write as much as I can before they all come back, because these are the moments I survive on.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
OMG I drew a picture that looked very similar to that when I was 16. If I get the artsy feeling I'll draw it for you and put it up.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • F
Haha, definitely. That would be interesting =)

35yrs • F
Sometimes when I lay out under the stars at night, I tilt my head as far back as I physically can and look up at the sky, imagining that its all that surrounds me and that I am suspended in space. I wonder how dark it would be out there (and feel) or how much light there is. How cold or warm would it feel in the spacesuit? What would your insides feel like? Sometimes I scare myself imagining that I really am drifting alone in that amazingly vast and seemingly endless place, with stars burning all around me. How minuscule I would be and how gigantic everything else...
I imagine what it would be like if I were looking at earth from so far away that it looks like a tiny ball I could reach out and grab a hold of - so far away from everything and everyone you know, you could try to swim back to it but you never could by yourself. Never. You'd just be stuck out there in a spacesuit with no way of getting back home, truly out of reach. You'd be so utterly helpless and alone and frightened, and of course you'd die eventually. But it would be an amazing view.

If I had a chance to visit outer space, I would surely take it.

42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would like to add some of my daydreams at some point, but with writers block its often hard to get as many things as id like written when I finally do find myself able to write.

For now though, this is a dedication to all the daydreamers and dreamers out there. And a special dedication to Vigil, for creating the thread and letting the child in my heart touch the adult in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxAz9hHfhzE

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 35yrs • F

Thank you Chained, I've never seen that before, but I think it's lovely.

35yrs • F
I love building forts. Huge blankets draped over chairs that were dragged over to the living room from the dining room, pegs and books to stick it all together, pillows and rugs for padding, a torch, a book and some nice tea to crawl inside with, and some music in the background.

Forts are comforting to be in, these rooms with walls of blanket. They have this kind of special, secretive atmosphere. I think they are magical.

I've never had a carved pumpkin or a cat, but I think those with fit nicely within a good sized fort. Admittedly, I'm not much of a cat person, or a pet owner for that matter, though I chose to draw cat because they seem much more peaceful than dogs and less likely to tear the fort down by moving around. And I'd like to have some real life company in my fort without it being an exhaustively human companion.

A pumpkin with a friendly face would be nice, because I imagine I could relate to that more than the cat, but I'd still like the cat because he/she is actually alive. I don't know why that matters exactly, but it does. Granted, I've survived my forts well without these things, but ah... to dream. Though I don't reeeally dream of owning a cat, the carved pumpkin would be nice. Yes. That should be a lamp design. & I bet it already is.

Whenever I feel more sociable, I dream of making a real-life Adventure Club, where we erect tents in a park every few Sundays, have picnics, talk about ideas and things we'd like to do, play games, amazing treasure hunts & waterballoon fights on hotter days. And we'd do so much more than that. We'd plan to go travelling a bit through the country we haven't seen every few months, try things we haven't done before (like kayaking or skateboarding or anything!). The goal would always be to have fun, and learn something new. (whether that is about other people, the world, or about someones new daydream/s)

But everyone I know doesn't think this would be important or fun enough to make time in their schedule for. They like to be practical, to spend their time doing productive, adult things. They make me feel kind of childish and like I need to grow up more or something. But you see, in the end I'd rather just have my fun, so I keep entertaining these notions.

& then maybe one day I'll find my people. =)

35yrs • F
Last year I entered a teacher's assistant course, in order to try and decide if entering the educational system was the direction that I should be heading in.

I can't deny it any longer, as I have been, trying to shut it out as an option. I won't cave to the fear of striving for it.

Because truth be told, I loved being in the classroom, I loved helping children try to understand the work and encouraging them to learn and ask questions of their own accord. It was so much fun.

Teaching is an occupation I think that I would honestly love to do, not only because I enjoy being in the classroom and facilitating learning, but I know (now more than ever) that I am quite passionate about where education itself is headed and what values and ideals the system impresses unto young minds. What they focus on.

Though I have detered myself and shut it off as an option for a while now, because of my own fears, I feel that I am reaching a turning point where I am ready to say "yes, this is what I want to invest myself in".

I hope dearly that the path I take will be one where I will get to build and voice my plans with some amount of influence within the system. Though even now I fear failure, I am determined to face it again and again. And though there are the negative thoughts, the fears that still try to seep into my mind and take me down, the ones that say "oh you're not smart enough, you'll never change anything" - I need to always remind myself that these are lies. I must push them aside and follow my heart. I must believe in myself, because deep down I know that I am capable.

And I refuse to sit and wait for others.

This is part of the title page of the small childrens A2 "book" that I wrote & illustrated last year in my course. I think that understanding what I do now, I would probably make adjustments in my wording, but it is still generally the message that I want to get across to children. (and adults!)

Here is what I wrote, sans the illustrations. (each line break is meant to represent a new page, and everypage has a drawing)

Brave

Doing new things can be terrifying.

You can feel so small and be afraid of doing all of the wrong things.
Sometimes you think people will laugh at you or call you mean names.

Just remember, everyone is different and we all make mistakes.

Everyone has something that they are afraid of

but somtimes the best thing to do is to face your fears

and be courageous, even if you still feel afraid.

You might realize that it isn't as scary as it seems.

All it takes is a bit of courage and suddenly, you will find that you can achieve so many wonderful and amazing things

that you didn't think you could....

35yrs • F
I spent most of my childhood growing up around animals, mostly only sheep, pigs, geese, chickens and goats. But the next door neighbours had a horse, I really like horses. We lived on a 5 acre lot, so it was more than enough room for all of us.

I remember getting up early to feed the chickens when I was 10. I'd get up so early, just before the sun started to show a bit of her face. The air outside would be cold and crisp and misty. I'd pull my gumboots on and run over to unlock the gate, hurrying over to the chickens house. They'd always be awake by the time I got there to pull open the door. The smell of chickens was always so strong in there, so I'd usually hold my breath a bit as I collected the eggs and put them into my deep jumper pocket. Then I'd go get the chicken feed and scatter it about and put a bit more in their trough. For their drinking pond, well I'd always have to push the water from the day before out of it with a shovel and fill it up again with water from the hose.

I loved living around animals, and getting up and doing a bit of work in the morning outside. I enjoyed being out in nature & most of the time you could find me dangling up in a tree and trying to make little houses out of them in my mind. Sometimes I'd go find dead branches and ropes and scrap wooden planks from my fathers shed to make very simple little dwellings. In my mind though, they were fortresses.

I have 3 sisters...and there were always next door neighbours we had who'd come over and play with us. And we'd always play magic games, and pretend we were witches and wizards and warlocks. It was amazing.

I remember the time my next door neighbour Billy, told me he really liked me and asked me to lay on his lap while he stroked my forehead (we were 10). I didn't really like him like that, though I thought he was a nice boy. he'd always look so concerned and serious whenever he'd vist. I layed down and we studied each others faces silently for the longest time. I still remember he had green/grey eyes, I thought they were lovely.

[  Edited by vigil at   ]
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy