Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What value do you navigate by?

User Thread
 90yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that coberst is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

It appears to me that we sapiens need a 'North Star' upon which to fix our voyage. We need a reference point upon which we can focus our attention when trying to determine what of value we can and should do in life.

Religion, or God, serves as the compass for some people; for others it is nationalism; for others the guiding value is to own as much good stuff as possible; to others it is power; for some it is family; and I guess there are many other such ultimate values.

I have tried to examine my inner voices to determine just what my primary value is and does it need to be changed. I have determined that, by some turn of events, perhaps completely willy-nilly, my value North Star is life on this planet. My guidance for fixing value is ultimately dependent upon its aiding or hindering life on this planet.

I often speculate that human life is a hindrance to maximizing the 'good life', of all life, on this planet. I often speculate that if all life on this planet were given a vote in this matter that they would throw sapiens overboard.

What do you think?

coberstakaDutchuncle

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Mine would be perhaps Utility. That or more specifically and more often happiness with and for myself.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 90yrs • M •

Beauty and morality are species of values.

George Santayana says that 'all values must be ultimately intrinsic'. He adds that the good, i.e. that which is desired, is good because of its consequences.

Aesthetics is about the perception of values. Aesthetic judgments 'are mainly positive, that is, perceptions of good, moral judgments are mainly and fundamentally negative, or perceptions of evil...in the perception of beauty, our judgment is necessarily intrinsic and based on the character of the immediate experience, and never consciously on the idea of an eventual utility in the object, judgments about moral worth, on the contrary, are always based, when they are positive, upon the consciousness of benefits probably involved.'

'Morality is a means and not an end; that it is the price of human non-adaptation, and the consequence of the original sin of unfitness. It is the compression of human conduct within the narrow limits of the safe and possible. Remove danger, remove pain, remove the occasion of pity, and the need of morality is gone. To say 'thou shalt not' would then be impertinence.'

If we think about it we can see herein why our moral consciousness recedes as our luxuries increase, and we can see why caring for another is more the characteristic of those who have little and is of lesser value to those who have much.

Quotes from [i]The Sense of Beauty: Being The Outlines of Aesthetic Theory[i] by George Santayana

42yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pupa ria is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Knowledge, that of the heart.... Discovering the many facets of life.

"I'm the mirror that will make you invisible"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Logic, anything can be simplified and solved through reason and logic.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 90yrs • M •

I think that moral values have a hierarchy. I think that we need an ultimate value that is our guide to lesser values. The ultimate value is the "star" upon which we navigate our day-to-day moral decisions. Many people believe that humans have a soul that "lives" after the body dies and it is this soul that is their ultimate value.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy