I would rather have my ignorance than another man's knowledge, because I have so much more of it. - Mark Twain
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

O no, Atheism

User Thread
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
O no, Atheism
It says it at the end but all the things said are taken from christian fundamentalist forums. I found it semi-funny.
This video appears to have been removed

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't understand why some religious people feel that unless you believe in Jesus, or some specific God you cannot have a sense of morals. The kid with the hat, I doubt he would have killed if he didn't believe in god, because his sense of accountability before whatever government governs him would have performed that function. It;s like he has such a chip on his shoulder.. what a prick. He's a prick because he's narrow minded, not because he is religious, that's what i make of the video at least. Narrow mindedness + religiosity = prat.

I think this video makes all Christians, including open minded, intelligent Christians look terrible.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Umm Her, those kids really don't believe that, they just searched the internet for things fundamentalists had said and made a video out of them saying it. I do believe it was supposed to be satire kind of poking fun at people who don't keep a level head and aren't open minded.

But I will agree with you, that the statement made by someone else said by that kid is very closed minded and unintelligent.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ScottxBadass is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This guy with the hat. Is a narrow-minded prick, such is true.
He implies any atheist would just go around Fucking up constantly, Committing crimes without guilt, and has no sense of moral judgement. He straight up says or implies rather that gays are going to hell. What happened to equality? What this video is missing is the other point of view. An atheist's point of view. In my opinion equality is one of the most important beliefs in society. The bible says to treat every man equally. By singling out gays he is doing the exact opposite. He is discriminatory against gays. Discrimination is Immoral! Completely! Why do you think slavery was abolished? If he believes that gays don't deserve fair treatment, he is admitting that he himself is discriminatory. It doesn't make sense. This guy's an illogical prick!
He says Atheists are hypocrites while during his own rant he proves he himself is a hypocrite! He claims atheists will burn religious people on a goddamned X?! He says atheists are intolerant of religion. Even if this Irrational accusation is correct why is his intolerance just and an atheist's intolerance unjust? Why is his discrimination just and an atheist's discrimination unjust? this video is filled with hypocrisy.

73yrs • M •
runescapesux is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
haha i like when the guy in the hat says "i can sum it up in 3 words. 1. Evolution 2. Is 3. A 4. Lie"..hmm looks like 4 to me lol.....um but yea i dont think this was meant to be a serious video so those of u posting that the person in the hat is a "narrow-minded prick" should rewatch the video and listen for the sarcasim in eachof their voices...they are making fun of what people have said in other forums by stating it in this video to make fun of what others have said and to show how closed minded others can be..those are probly not even their own true personal views...

32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ScottxBadass is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah it could be that.
Or they could actually believe exactly what
they were saying, and turns out those are the
guys that are being made fun of by others.

33yrs • M •
Yuriz is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
huh!!!
Atheists Kill many times just because they dun believe in god...
Just because they dun pray or preach to anyone... they're killers!!!! who the hell said that?!!!!
I feel pity for those who never think... Just defend a religion they could never understand...
btw. turning the World into a world of Atheists doesn mean turnin it into YOUR "HELL", n for sure Doesn mean killin Christians or Muslims or Jews...
screw dat!!!!
If U believe in One religion it will be Peace n Love.... n If U believe in Peace n Love for sure there will be Hate n War...."for every action there's a reaction equal in magnitude n Opposite in direction" or They will lose their meanings... So Where's the God of Hate n War?!!! is it Satan?!!! is he a GOD!!!! answer this urself

"Since the Moment I Was Born... They\'ve Put Limits against me as a Whole.... They Said U Live in a Certain Place for a Period of Time... I Didnt Comment... n I was Wrong"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, that was fun.

keep in mind that a lot of "atheists" think of religion the same way.

i'm assuming the point of this video was the pointlessness of "general" beliefs, as in "chosing" to believe in something without understanding it.

Religion(most common religions) is the safest way to go through life without having to bother with death.
Atheism came from the inability to abide by such an "illogical" belief system. So it came up with the simple, yet not necessarily true, option of the opposite.

Both systems (among others) have blind followers, and that's the problem.

"i think therefore i think i am"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that NicOfTime is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Religion(most common religions) is the safest way to go through life without having to bother with death.

I don't agree with the literal, plain-text interpretation of the above comment in the way it's worded, but I do agree with what I think the comment is trying to say. Hope is an integral component of human happiness. Death is a fact and, faced directly in the context of a life full of indifference, ambiguity, uncertainty, insecurity, injustice, poverty, and suffering, life can and often does seem pretty bleak to many people. Hope is a fundamental component of human happiness. The power of religious belief is the power of hope -- and religious belief provides a type of hope that few other beliefs provide. Even false hope, as long as one doesn't know it's false, has measurable physiological and psychological benefits. And if it can't be proven that God doesn't exist, one can't be proven guilty of harboring false hope. The kind of hope that religious belief provides -- that ultimately there's meaning, purpose, justice, that all the suffering is not for naught -- helps to balance what can and often does appear to be a bleak existence. It gives many the strength to continue living -- hope buys folks enough happiness to want to continue to live.

The "safest" way? Well, even if I'd like that kind of hope, I also don't really need it. For me, the "safest" way is to be true to myself, to go where the evidence leads, to make the most rational decision I can based on the most thoughtful consideration of the facts that I'm capable of -- and let the chips fall where they may. A God that doesn't consider personal honesty and integrity in the pursuit of "truth" is a God that makes no sense to me. I don't feel at all "unsafe" with regard to my own decisions about this as long as I seek out the truth to the best of my ability. If God doesn't exist, then, after death, I'll feel pretty much the same way I did before I was born -- hard to feel "unsafe" in that context.

quote:
Atheism came from the inability to abide by such an "illogical" belief system.

I wouldn't say this is entirely true as written, although it could be interpreted to be actually saying something a bit broader than what it says as worded. I would say that atheism came from the search for the actual truth about man's (the universe's) origins and nature -- and the possibility that religion may not have that truth after all, in spite of the insistence of its most passionate believers.

quote:
So it came up with the simple, yet not necessarily true, option of the opposite.

It's not entirely an unthinking, knee-jerk reaction. There are very legitimate, rational reasons to question God's existence. I still think it's premature to assert that something qualified for the title of "God" absolutely does not exist. But it does appear to me that there's a plausible alternative, no-God-required explanation that's fully consistent with pretty much everything we observe. I don't necessarily like that conclusion -- hey, I'm just as human as anyone else is, I want some cosmic meaning / purpose / justice just like anyone else does -- but it's observably true that there are LOTS of truths that are very painful, so the notion that the truth (about man's origins and nature) has no obligation to abide by our personal preferences is well grounded. The truth is what it is -- it has no obligation to make us happy, it doesn't care whether we like it or not.

quote:
Both systems (among others) have blind followers, and that's the problem.

I agree that ignorance is one of the most abundant elements in the universe, that ignorance knows no religious or non-religious boundaries, and that ignorance and its by-products, consequences, and side-effects creates all sorts of problems.

[  Edited by NicOfTime at   ]
 72yrs • M •
Even though it appears to me that no God is required to have an existence like the one we've got, I consider it perfectly rational to believe in something because it makes you feel good. If you (generic/collective "you" here, not personal to any particular person in this thread) need the kind of hope that religious belief provides in order to have the strength to continue living, then go for it. At the same time, your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins. So, while I respect your right to believe what you need to believe in order to give you the best opportunity for a happy, productive life, I would ask you to grant that same honor to me and not insist that, because YOU need to believe something to be happy, that everyone else needs to believe the same thing, too.

Understanding what I do about human psychology, I realize that that kind of fair play, that kind of mutual respect, is a mountain too high for many humans to climb.

Such is life.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:

safest should've been "one of the least stressful ways"

"i think therefore i think i am"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
safest should've been "one of the least stressful ways"

Fair 'nuff. The "death" thang can be an issue of high anxiety for many people. Religious belief can certainly be an effective antidote for that kind of anxiety. I suspect death is going to be peaceful enough. Some of the ways of making the transition can be uncomfortable to think about.

37yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that mutnuaq is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
LoL yea thats obviously a joke but it makes for an opening to add your own views

Religion is funny atheists believe Christians are silly and stubborn while they think the same about them. Everyone is born with only instincts everything else is learned or mimicked. It's safe to say neither group is sure, however I do know that Atheism isnt responsible for genocide like how at some point most "good" religions have been. Neither side KNOWS anything, if anyone states other wise they are just being condescending assholes. Peoples actions are what's important, anyone can put themselves under any banner at anytime in a matter of seconds saying I'm this only takes seconds.

"334jui8"
 37yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that mutnuaq is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'd also like to point this out.....

In the Bible they say god made man out of dust. WE ARE ALL STARDUST. That's a fact.

Evolution can just be gods way of creating anything I mean, it's obvious evolution is how life changes grows and creates new life. EVERYTHING we know today comes in stages and started with something else millions of years earlier...from the salt content in the ocean, to the diamond in your ring that was previously coal.

For a christian not to want to know how G"God" Did all this....means his foundation for what he believes in is very very weak. Science and God can go hand in hand. That's the thing about the bible...stories like that can be easily manipulated.

Also...evolutionists think they have it all figured out with evolution...but why is it that they cant even come close to finding the link between animal life and plant life?

From what I understand the first life form was like a simple one celled algae and there are weak theories out there but all are broken and very weak.

I have a hypothesis that once we begin studying more in depthly the genetic coding in anceint plants and follow them to the beginning we will understand WAY more about the origins and true nature of life.

After all plants came first. Then animals. However no one can say HOW the animals spring to life from plants. Its these things that should be thought of, not does god exist that's like arguing if atoms exist 2000 years ago way before there was any way of proving or disproving they do or don't.

"334jui8"
 72yrs • M •
Yes, evolution could be God's way of creating. In fact, if God exists, then evolution must be God's way of creating -- since it appears that evolution is a fact whether God exists or not. However, since evolution appears to be fact, then it becomes reasonable to question whether God had anything to do with it since the mechanism driving evolution is simple enough to not require any intelligence at all.

Since DNA itself is not alive, but is the basis of every living thing, then DNA is the link (the common ground) between non-living and living stuff (that is, non-living chemicals can create DNA, probably through RNA, then further chemical variations produce what we describe as life). Since both plants and animals have DNA, then DNA is the link (the common ground) between plants and animals (i.e., other chemical variations that are sculpted by the natural selection process). Some specific pieces in the puzzle are missing at this time. But the fact that chemicals are free to combine in any and every form (both living and non-livng forms), where the resultant forms sort themselves in degrees of relative persistence (i.e., some forms just last longer than others do) under conditions which appear to be reasonably common throughout the universe suggests that it's not unreasonable to explore how this may occur without any intelligent intervention, manipulation, or guidance whatsoever. IOW, God doesn't appear to be necessary for this to occur. And a God that's not necessary at some point to cause something to happen that absolutely could not have happened without that intelligent intention may well obviate the most substantive reason to posit the existence of a God in the first place. That is, if God isn't necessary -- if we can have an existence as we know it that doesn't require a God to produce it -- then what would be a substantive reason to believe in God? If God is the creator, then it seems to follow that creation (existence) itself should be evidence for the existence of God. If creation itself isn't evidence of God -- then what is?

[  Edited by NicOfTime at   ]
O no, Atheism
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy