Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Total Eclipse

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pupa ria is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Total Eclipse
All Rimbaud Lovers will be taken by this movie. The cult of absinth, the libertine spirit, the starving artists, a real bohemian rhapsody. L.Di caprio really lived it up, but sometimes he wasn't a very convincing rebell (in some parts he overacted it...personal opinion)...even still...chapeau. He is at his best in this movie, so was D. Thewlis. The movie mostly depicts the curious relational dynamic between Rimbaud and Verlaine. The first being the youngest had a more prominent influence in their relationship. Instead of him admiring and looking-up to a great classic like Verlaine it was the other way round. The sadic position of Rimbaud and the masochist position of Verlaine was also very well manifested (being a homosexual relationship).
The movie also shows you, and i refer to Breton here, that Rimbaud was not only a surrealist in his litterary work but also a " Surrealist in the way he lived, and elsewhere".
It really got me more into Rimbaud. It's a must watch movie to all those who appreciate revolutionary spirits, the live fast die young crowd. Without watching this movie, I never would have known that he was a dare-devil, a vagabond, so avid to be filled with all the colors of life. I always thought of him as a more melancholic type, living adventures in his head. I must say he is the Nietzschean uberman.
Bottom line don't read his biography just watch the movie

"I'm the mirror that will make you invisible"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've been meaning to see some movie on Rimbaud, I'm not sure if this was the one. Either way I started downloading a torrent of this.

Do you know of any other Rimbaud movies?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 42yrs • F •
There's one called "Arthur Rimbaud" simply =). Made in 1996. released after total eclipse whicj is made in 1995. It's a french version. i didn't find it on torrent though.
how did you find out about Rimbaud? Dylan?

Enjoy the movie!

42yrs • F •
here's a still movie though =P

36yrs • M
Yah through Dylan, hehe. I borrowed "A Season In Hell" from my library one time and couldn't get into it. I think I just don't know how to read poetry or something. From what I've read about him he seemed so cool. Maybe watching this movie will help me understand his poetry better?

42yrs • F •
"Season in hell" was my first read too. It was the cheapest thing in the bookstore and tiny and i was out of money to buy a fat book. I rediscovered him through Dylan. hmmm i think maybe the translation would have something to do with the understanding part. I read the two versions, the english is much more heard to read . Take your time with it. put it aside then read it after a while. There are a lot of poems i don't understand too. In the end it's poetry, semiotic symbolism and each poet has his own system of playing with the sense of the words. So yes the movie helps to get into his way of thinking and feeling things. good luck. Here's a link into his poetry. It has both french and english versions:http://www.mag4.net/Rimbaud/Poesie.html

Btw, do you have problems with viruses while downloading through torrent? i'm having big trouble with it even though i have a security wall. Any advices?

[  Edited by pupa ria at   ]
 36yrs • M
quote:
Btw, do you have problems with viruses while downloading through torrent? i'm having big trouble with it even though i have a security wall. Any advices?

No, I don't really have too much trouble with viruses from torrents. Are you using IE or Firefox?

When I download torrents I usually try to get the torrent from a site I trust like piratebay or demonoid (when you download torrents at one of these places people leave comments below the torrent and usually say if it's the real thing or a virus.)

Either way, it's probably a good idea to run a virus scan when you finally download the torrent, especially if it seems sketchy ie. unfamiliar file type or suspicious file size.

Hope that helps.

36yrs • M
Good movie!

Total Eclipse
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy