Life is worth living for until you believe that life isn't worth living. - Weebl
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Evolution of thought

User Thread
 31yrs • M •
squirrelie is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Evolution of thought
I have a theory that i would like other people to consider, and hopefully tell me what they think about it.
I believe that there are different levels of thought, attainable only through epiphonies, and that a person cannot see things differently, or think about something from another angle without an epiphony of some degree. if you think about it like a ladder, our basest needs and thoughts are the bottom step, the next step and so on are the different levels of thought. the ladder is infinately tall. you can always revert back to the previous step, but an event has to occur that allows you to take the next step.
That is my theory in a rather large nutshell, thank you for reading it.

68yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Booky is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The famous counter arguement comes from hundreds of years B.C.E. by a guy named Plato that said in paraphrase;

Necessity is the mother of invention.

http://www.bartleby.com/59/3/necessityist.html

I still very much appreciate the "epiphonies" but need and necessity does seem to be far more critical in raising our thought levels.

There are many smart people that do have "epiphonies" and do nothing about it, but the needy are thus compelled to turn the thought into action out of necessity.

So the higher thinking is not sufficient because one must have the gumption to turn the thought into substance or invention or into an action.

High thought is not enough.

"Courage is the key to all advantages."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that allimar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I had an epiphany the other day. Looking at a trend.
It seems very few people are capable of imagining beyond there knowledge. I have formed a theory that these individuals follow a religion unquestioningly due to their inability to discover the truth. They are told something from a book at a young age and swear by it despite solid evidence against it.
Also, I'm sure you'll find people like this. Or know of them. Anything they see on the news, any opinion that there preferred party speaks, anything they follow is impossibly correct. Without a doubt, faithful and sure.
Let me leave you with this.
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts'
Bertrand Russell

"The more you learn, the less you know."
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Squarepants is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree with booky.
It's a trend through out history of the rise and fall of great powers. The inventions born of necessity and then later they get lazy because they are so comfortable.

"I hungry"
Evolution of thought
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy