Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Novus Spiritus

User Thread
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Novus Spiritus
I don't approve very often of religions and the way they set up their followers. This religion is something my sister subscribes to and she is one the most open and intelligent people I've met and at her age of only 15 I think she offers quite a bit in conversion and thought.

When i saw she practiced this religion I wondered about it. I read their site http://www.novus.org/home/tenets.cfm it is one of the more interesting takes on the bible and the after life most in a similar way to how i see spirituality minus the bible part.

The only thing fishy about it I've found is it was founded by a T.V. spiritualist.

I was just wondering others opinions on this religion and how they view the world is such a positive self lit light.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
We believe that Our Lord was crucified but did not die on the cross and went on to live out His life in France with his mother and Mary Magdalene, his wife.

Yea, when I think of God making a home on Earth I think he would choose France.

So, this religion is some sort of mitigated dualistic practice which worships a Bythos-like God (known as Om and Azna) and thinks people today are able to speak to the dead if they are smart enough.

Also Om and Azna are entirely benevolent, so carry on raping and pillaging. No worries, just make sure you are learning how to be more spiritual.

Sylvia Browne is obviously enlightened and her personal interpretation of spirituality is clearly correct and not a means for her to profit from people's stupidity. After all, she wrote several books about it and even has a website! That must mean it's legit.

Honestly, all she's done here is re-written gnosticism in terms of her own happy little fantasy land. It's Christianity for people who fear leaving Christianity. L. Ron Hubbard was more creative.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
[  Edited by Wyote at   ]
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Ron Hubbard was more creative"

'

I wasn't talking about the dynamics of the religion (Its obviously a attempt at making money due to the books and stuff on sale on the site) but I was just referring the individual tenets of the belief and how one should view the world.

It seems very happy and open in how they think. Her stuff written about life spirit (energy) is what I was referencing when I said similar spiritually not the whole guardian angle bit. I just wanted to keep it short so people could think what ever they wanted to of it.

Just found it interesting nothing more.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
A tenet as simple as "killing is wrong" must be liquid - it must be possible that killing is right, and protecting everyone from using this liquidity from exploitation is the tenet of logic which is possibly the only tenet that is less liquid.

I do strongly agree this is the way it should be, but it just seems to me that too many people wouldn't want to accept the possibility of something bad could come from a positive idea . Most have all been deluded by the idea that you'll be treated well if you do well, and be punished if you do wrong - with no real liquidity, as you put it.

I do try to understand why the faithful are taught the way they are and how those seemingly perfect ideals could be taken so far out of context. It looks to me like the "teachers" are a little at fault here for babying their "students" by suggesting important ideas like that one commandment cannot/are not liquid in context - almost like they're placing a solid meaning or interpretation.

oddly enough I remember George Carlin saying something very similar to that last part you said.

I'd have to look into it further to keep talking about it though, as usual I'm just speaking out of speculation.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
Novus Spiritus
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy