It does not take a real man to cry. It takes a real man to not care what other people think about him crying. - Oblivion
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Smallest Bits of the Universe...

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've been thinking more about this since yesterday, about there being one unit (very, very small) of which sub-atomic particles and the whole Universe is made...

I thought along the lines of whole numbers, and that everything is made up of a whole number of these units...

My questions:-
- Do you think it is possible that something could be made up of a fraction of these such particles?
- Do you have any theories about what these particles may be, and what they're made up of? (and, Why (if you know)?)

One of my answers follows the concept, that, take the smallest thing we know of or can detect, and this elementary unit is much, much smaller... And, that there may be a very clear mathematical relationship (in 3-D or 4-D, or whatever) that explains why certain numbers of these units result in the collection of these units having certain qualities...

(By the way, I would prefer, if you can, if you refer to another thread or web-page, that you at least briefly describe what is found there, if you can...)

"There is no negative one..."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ziltoid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Try looking in the opposite directions.
All fractions are a part of the whole,and that is what existence is made of.
To understand the whole intellectually, separation is need as contrast.
Our thoughts are effected by the laws of the universe, just like any atoms or particles. Look inside to the source of your thoughts, just as molecules break down to atoms to electrons to quarks, so do your thoughts break down.
To understand why lets look at how life is.From the mud and ocean all life naturally rises upward and outward from the inside out.(law of levitation?)They teach the kids in school that life evolved from the ocean to land, but I see it as to the sky or space and then back into the whole. Inside a hole is nothing, outside the whole is nothing.
Know thyself and understanding will be your shadow.

46yrs • M •
After a bit of thought, it could be sort of a combination between the two.
Indeed we are fractions of a whole, but when you split up the whole, you would expect each part to be a rational fraction (where the numerator and denominator are both integers)... Would that make sense?

I guess one application I tend to apply these things to is mental, being aware of qualities (here whole numbers) in order to relate better to the world around me.

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If you are trying to imagine how small the units of matter can get are you willing to use your imagination or are you waiting for experimentation to tell you, to show you with your eyes that such a thng exists?

If you are talking the smallest units then you are thinking in terms of quarks, and how much smaller can we go? Do quarks have a nucleus and then what in turn are they constructed of?

To me this brings us to the fundimental chicken and egg or creation versus evolution dichotomies because we cannot know what we cannot see and therefore will ultimately never know how small these units are and where they came from.

Scientists say science has the answer to everything and that all can be discovered through logical questioning and ecxperimentation and mathematics but the smaller you go in particle physics the more confusing and contradictory it all becomes.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 46yrs • M •
I guess, when you say small, you don't always mean in length, but possibly smallest value as a whole unit...
I believe they measure quarks (in one way) in eV (which I think is electron volts, or something)...
It needn't be one unit of these, but something that can be expressed as a whole single body (which when used in numbers is always whole numbers)... If you get what I mean...

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I feel I must just say that I am completely number dyslexic. I find anything to do with maths confusing and have never even learnt my tables. When I read your post I had a vision in my head almost like when you look into two mirrors opposite one another and your reflection gets smaller and smaller until it dissapears into infinity, it goes on a fair way but you just can't see it! That is the best way I can visualise such a thing, if I had to sit down and work out theories and stuff with equasions, I couldn't even begin to understand.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy