Because who you are being isn't who you are, it is the person you are being that is keeping you from being yourself. - Ironwood
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Question for Christians

User Thread
 61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Manegorus is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Question for Christians
Are there "false Christians?" What are your criteria for determining whether someone is a "true Christian?"

I was recently involved in a discussion with a particularly self righteous Christian woman who refused to address some of my questions, so I thought I might appeal to Captain Cynic posters for their opinions.

Here is my last response to her, which she neglected to address. We were arguing over her claim that Christians have made the world a better place, while "humanists" (which is used as a slur), have only contributed in a negative way.

I have another question...What are your criteria for determining which Christians are "in-name-only?" You spoke of a Christian "living deep in sin" and said such a Christian is a "phony." Don't you assert that all Christians "sin?" How much is "deep?" How much makes a Christian a "phony?" Obviously no Christian thinks s/he is one of the "phonies," yet most will "humbly" admit they sin. It would seem to me the criteria varies from one Christian to another, but there seems to be a single interesting constant here. Generally, Christians have trouble telling me exactly how much "sin" it takes to make the others "phonies," but they all seem to agree that the line is drawn at some point beyond the amount of sin they themselves commit. For example, I have absolutely no doubt that, in your view, however much you "sin," it will fall within the acceptable range in order for you to be a "true Christian." Such is always the case, no matter how many Christians I question...never mind the fact that the Bible says all who sin are servants of sin, and that no man can serve two masters.

"Cogito, ergo doleo."
 59yrs • F •
inkie is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I believe this article will help you:

http://hypocrisy.com/2008/05/30/dangerous-religion/

Let me know if it helps!

"Like and believe in who you are and other people will like you and believe in you."
 47yrs • F •
windy36 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I have asked my self the same question. It seems like there should be an answer to this question, but I cannot find an answer to this question which makes me question my belief, and why I believe as I do, and whether I am really an agnostic.

Question for Christians
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy