'As long as we think that animals don't feel, then we'll have to feel that humans don't think' - tangy-orange
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What is Art?

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is Art?
Both the mimetic and the essentialist theories of art contain a kernel of truth. For although art necessarily deals with empirical phenomena, it is good art only to the extent that it elicits a certain response, namely the suspension of our deliberative, conscious rationality. In the damp and dusty cellar of reason, a motley army of concepts are called forth into regiments no less rough-and-ready than they are hard-and-fast. It is by partitioning reality, and imposing an order which does not belong to it, that reason proceeds; and it is my contention that it is only when we engage with a work of art that we return to the unity which inspirits everything. In short, art should not mean, but be. Works of art should be alive in the same way I am alive. They should be infused with the same elan vital. And they function by the collision of Being with Being: when we perceive a work of art we also perceive ourselves, not, to be sure, as a mirror held before us, but as something that reaches out and touches us. We become self-conscious, precisely in the way that the lap of the tide against our feet makes us more cosncious of our bodies.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm not sure how true it is, but I once thought...

"The perfection of Art is a Science, and the perfection of Science is an Art."

In addition, I think one of the main concepts in Art would be Creativity...
Not just random things, or permutations for the sake of difference, but perhaps a subtle code of imagery to convey a message of some sort.

"There is no negative one..."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You have just outlined a third theory of art, one that is tacitly assumed by most but which I believe to be wrong-headed. The view that art encodes a message which can be resolved salva veritate into everyday language is pernicious because it implies that you can detach the meassage from the art. What we would prefer to say is that, if indeed it makes sense to talk about art as "saying" something, it would be better to assume that that it cannot be said in any other way. After all, if it could be, why not come right out and say it?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Gabriel23 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think that art is ones' peak focus in combination their true passion, which creates a object reflective of ones' believe and understanding of that which is.

"I never let the negativity of life, dull the beauty in my life."
What is Art?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy