Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What is Love?

User Thread
 32yrs • M •
Fauslay is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What is Love?
What is love? Is it just a meaningless game? Or is it one emotional and vital part of your life? How could you tell if you're in love or not? What is it? (I know Socrates ask this question before but I want it to hear from everyone...)

"There is no evil"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love is always something you know...
Usually, you don't think you're in love, you know you are...

But that relies on your definition of love!
I guess for me, something I love, is something I will always want, and to keep forever close to me...

I love ice-cream... I love my friend who used to be my girlfriend... I love the idea of cars... I love life... I love being happy...

Though you could take the view of someone who sees everything in terms of elementary particles. Everything is made from the same stuff essentially, how do you know what to love then... Someone good at thinking along those lines might answer "Sure they're all made from the same stuff, but they are not in the same configurations. You need to construct the bigger picture to put things in context..."

"There is no negative one..."
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
From what I have learnt through watching other people and listening and analysing poems, lit, songs ect... Love is a feeling that is difficult to describe and it can mean so many things such as passion, intamacy, affection, protecttiveness ect. There is no single applicable definition of what love is but what I believe it is, is the desire for no evil to come to the object of love and only good. I feel somebody loves me when they want good for me, for example even if my family wants for me what i dont want as long as i know its because within their minds its the best for me i understand that they love me. Love goes well beyond just romance.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 69yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that willowwater is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love, I believe, is the most powerful of human emotions. It can make you happy, sad, strong, weak, suicidal or happy to be alive.
When a person believes they're in love, they usually want to be around that person all the time, not wanting to share him/her with anyone else, getting jealous and making the person they love miserable. But if you really love someone, you want them to be happy, even if it means sacrificing your own happiness!
Alot of people believe they're in love, but very few truly are..

31yrs • M •
tyrantofthought is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What is love?
Pretty much a bunch of chemicals and such in your brain
Is it just a meaningless game?
No, its not
Or is it one emotional and vital part of your life?
Emotional? Yes. But its not vital. Though loving and losing sucks very much, especially when its the worse way of losing it
How could you tell if you're in love or not?
You can usually just tell yourself that you are. Theres no little marker about it, but I do think a lot of people take loving someone as a sign that they're a good person, when in reality love is like a drug. It clouds the mind into thinking that person is awesome even if they aren't.

"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world but lose his soul - A man no different from you and me"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love is a emtion of the utmost care of somthing. That feeling can change as you grow older but love is love for ever. A child of 4 or 5 is different then somone with many more years. The key that i've found is that although the feeling may change it doesn't make the feeling any less vailid. A child clings to a doll becuase its what it knows. Some people say well i was young and inexspeinced but its not true the feeling may now be different but it stil consumed one's life for that time. Time changes and so does love but love is love.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 64yrs • F •
Forgiveness is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
.What is Love?

Love is a state of being. Love is not an emotion. To want something out of Love means the Love is an attachment. To Love someone, truly Love someone it has to be unconditional, when we want something because of Love then it is conditional Love. To Love someone because what the person looks like, acts like, owns, knows about, or how the person performs sexually is not Love it is a wanting, it is without a doubt an attachment. When a person is in a state of Love there is no attachments, it is shared with no expectations of receiving, getting, obtaining, or performance. When the receiving, getting, obtaining or performance fall short of the expectations of the "Love" that the person thought was felt it looses its grip and most likely the relationship ends.

[b]In the majority of experiences of being "in-Love" is a condition that the ego/self is experiencing. The ego/self is being felt good, validated, complimented, paid attention to or gifted to. The ego/self feels incredible wanting to continue feeling this condition, its like a juice for the ego/self. Love in this level is a condition of being and not a state of being. Once the juice of the emotional attachment and the reality of what the recipient is really experiencing becomes clear that's when Love becomes a chaotic emotionality, and that emotionality turns from a feel good emotion to a not so feel good emotion. This is when Love becomes an emotion, it is not the actual Love that is the emotion but all the attached feelings to Love. Love as an emotion is illusionary.

There is no Love "out there", there is no Love to find or get...Love is an existing state of being, Love is within not without. It is through your Higher Self that true Love is first experienced, putting aside all physicality, sexual performances, compliments, expectations anything that has to do with the identification with the ego/self. It is in that moment when you see a person in whatever form and you are compelled to look again, and again, without lust. True Love emerges from the Higher Self, I suggest everyone have a serious conversation with their own Higher Self and see if what they think they are experiencing is Love or not, you might be surprised in the difference between what the ego/self thinks and what the Higher Self is actually experiencing. Perhaps that certain person you are so eager to have a relationship with is not really the right match for you, or the person you are admiring because of the physicality, potentiality in sexual performance, or already expressed sexual performance might also not be the right person for you. The Higher Self only experiences Love in its truest form, it doesn't care how good the intended is in bed, how hot she/he looks, how much money she/he makes or what kind of car it is driven. The ego/self does care if the intended falls short in sexual performance, the hotness is not so hot anymore, the bank account dries up, the job gets lost, or the car crashes. Where does the ego/self go from there? Resentment.
When a person say "I Love you" its like reaching for a Love that is "out there" and giving it to a "you". Love is not given it is shared. The correct way of stating Love is "I share the Love that I AM with you".

[  Edited by Forgiveness at   ]
 29yrs • F •
KaliSky is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
omg!! i love that post!!!

"life is miserable when the person you love leaves you behind and it feels like you have nothing left to hold on to. but you do.....GOD!!!!"
 58yrs • M •
Cemore Clearly is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Good question!

What is love?

Well in the words of a great sage Al Bundy, "If you have to chose between love and money, choose money because you can rent love."

I think trying to define love opens the door to a lot of other good questions. Like what is hate? I could say, "I love to hate someone or they love to hate me."

Is it love or lust?

If I had to choose between love and respect I would choose respect.

Compassion and respect are better than love.

Great discussion and all post are enlightening.

"It could be better and could be worse"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So many people out there say they are in love, but I don't think it is true. You can say you are in love, but love is more than a word. Love is the respect that is shared and the bond that is created. It is the passion and lust. It is about knowing every thing about one another and finding ones another's faults attractive. It is an indiscernible feeling that can not be seen, but just felt by the heart and soul. It is the willingness to give up every thing in the blink of an eye to make one another smile. Love is hard to describe, but for me it is all in her eyes.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ekimup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
1 Corinthians 13:4 Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; lovevaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Love never faileth.

"In this world, we are never lacking. Only losing what we have in hope of gaining what we dont."
What is Love?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy