When it awoke, the dinosaur was still there. (Augusto Monterroso, "The Dinosaur") - Windupnostril
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Cloverfield

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Cloverfield
*****SPOILERS*****

What an incredible movie! I think JJ Abrams is a nice and cool guy, but I am not a huge fan of his work by any means... yet I found this movie highly engaging. I think people who have engrossed themselves in the viral marketing scheme surrounding this movie will end up appreciating it a bit more simply because they will go into the movie with a tiny bit more background information, and this movie gives absolutely none. You are thrown into the lives of several twenty-somethings and experience the sheer terror of the attack right along with them. The camera work was stupendous in my opinion, showing glimpses of the chaos along with focusing down on key plot developments. The man behind the camera, Hud, was easily the most entertaining character of the film. I felt almost no emotions for any other character in the film, which is the biggest complaint I have. The premise was lame and cliché, but what it lacks in plot, it more than makes up for in camera work and special effects.

Also, after so much speculation about what the monster itself looked like, I was pleasantly surprised by its originality. It is certainly a creature unlike anything I've seen but it also falls somewhere in the realm of video game land e.g. Gears of War and Final Fantasy. We really aren't shown a whole lot of the monster's potential... just that it's huge and strong and fairly quick when it wants to be. Also the mini-monsters aren't shown much but they are frightening when thinking about the gore they cause by biting people, causing them to explode shortly after. I'm definitely left with more questions than answers here.

After the first fifteen minutes of a Dawson's Creek-esque introduction it becomes nonstop heart pumping, dizzying action. And I loved every minute. I still feel as though I went through all of the trauma of the event first hand.

8/10

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
[  Edited by Wyote at   ]
 40yrs • M •
I watched this movie for a second time. For some reason it usually takes me a couple of times seeing a movie to really get a solid understanding of it. I'd say it's not great, and watching it on TV would not be terribly entertaining. Still it's not a bad movie either. Some scenes were executed perfectly and for being somewhat low budget they definitely put their money in the right places. I found a very funny, but basically spot on review:

quote:
Cloverfield
A review by Tony Teofilo

-Oh look! A cocktail party full of young, slappable urbanites!

-VARIOUS CELLPHONE PRODUCT PLACEMENTS

-Explosion! Statue Of Liberty's HEAD!

-Oh MY GOD! O, my G--

-Boom

-AARMY GUYS!!! (boomboomboom)

-LET'S go into the SUBWAY!

-It's dark, and boring in here!

-MOUNTAIN DEW PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

-RUN!

-Oh, my GAWD! Ohmygodomygodohmy...!

-It bit me!

-AQUAFINA PRODUCT PLACEMENT

-I'm a walking blood blister (pop!)

-Oh. MY. God!

-HUMMER PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

-Get on the HELIC-blam

-Blam! Ohmygawdohmygowd-ohi'msorry-ohmygodohmygodohmygod

-M.O.N.S.T.E.R.-M.O.N.E.Y.-.SHOT!

-Look at me! I love y-

-BOOOOM!

-Fin

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Did you see the very.. VERY little object fly into the ocean in the last scene? Where it cuts back to rob and beth overlooking coney island... its like a little pod.... just flies out from the top of the screen and splashes down into the ocean... dun dun dun!

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 40yrs • M •
Caught it the second go around. I would have missed it if I didn't know EXACTLY where and when to look though.

42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I havent seen the film, but I came across this the other day. I thought it might be of interest to you guys.

quote:
Well, this disappoints us. It really does. Much of what we loved about Cloverfield was dependent on it not having a sequel. So it's slightly depressing to see Variety report that Paramount is forging ahead with a follow up in the wake of good box office.

Now we don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it, but the film works because you don't know anything about where the monster came from and just experience its attack on New York in the same bewildered state as the film's characters. It's about an experience more than a story. We can only imagine that a sequel filling in some of the gaps will dilute that experience. However, we have to give it the benefit of the doubt and hope that JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves have something special in mind and not just a repeat that will make more bucks.

Reeves is set to return to direct the next movie and how quickly it goes into production depends on how quickly he, Abrams and writer Drew Goddard can come up with a new angle.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 37yrs • M •
yeah there's a lot of talk about a 2nd movie already, which is kind of lame. I personally think it would probably flop. If you were into the viral marketing stuff of cloverfield, you have more insight to the movie then those that didn't follow along, but you are still left with plenty of unanswered questions. I was listening to JJ talk about how he may just make the 2nd movie be of the same attack, but told from a different group of people... with a different camera, catching different parts of the attack. I dunno. He'll never get the same hype with a follow up as he did with the first one... he just happened to catch lightening in a bottle with Cloverfield

31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Oblivion is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
lmao.i just saw it.that review by Tony Teofilo was dead on.i had to piss for like half the movie but i didnt want to miss anything.

but overall i thought it was great

"If You Aint Ammo, You Aint Shit."
 31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Oblivion is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
this website i found is supposed to be the "official" website of Cloverfield.the pictures are uninteresting.its the backs of them that are the intriguing thing.to flip a picture just click on one and hold it,then spin your mouse in a circle.and as i just found out like 2 seconds ago,if you stay on the site for about 5 minutes you hear the roar of the monster.it freaked me the fuck out.lol.

http://www.1-18-08.com/

"If You Aint Ammo, You Aint Shit."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I litterally jacked off during this movie.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 37yrs • M •
really. so cool.

Cloverfield
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy