Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What will happen when we die?

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Okay what do you guys think will happen, whethor you get your views from religions, or dead people you know, what do you think?

One thing that i think may happen is:

That when we die, our souls are trapped, and we're consious in a sense but we cannot attach to bodies, so its like eternal misery, and we're going to be stuck next to some annoying soul mate for ever and ever. we cannot move, eat, sleep, dance, listen to music, just us, our memories, thought processes for ever and ever and ever.
untill another world is made, and some wizard race saves us? so they put us into jam jars and watch us grow into ugly things, into human forms that we have been, but they are so beautiful, and so now man for the first time realises what its like to be animals, Not so superior now. Under this wizard race in all respects, except out experience.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 48yrs • M •
txbull75 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think we die ,rot, then eventually become Grade A topsoil.

"If it works dont fix it!!!"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We end up being reborn again as who we already are, on the same day, at the same time, in the same place, and lives our lives all over again in the same way we had before, and we do it eternally, in an endless circle of time (and space) within which we are trapped. Just a theory.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Bantam_Confrere is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe it is rediculous to try and determine what happens when you die. It becomes to the point at which you can find no logical answer so you subconsciously convince yourself of the first solution that comes to mind. Yes, these two theories are very interesting theories, but to deem these ideas as a general truth is borderline psychotic.

If I must believe in any theory, it is the theory that I should live my life not in fear of death, nor in anticipation for the aftermath of the end of my life, and that if there is some glamorous ending or universal truth that is answered then I shall wait patiently and enjoy what time I have as a physical being.

"How nice - To say nothing, yet still get full credit for being alive."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Philosophically speaking you are damn right, Bantam. Yet, something very definite occurs upon death - and thereafter. Death is visible to all, and as such is a very visceral occurrence. We are all quite clear on what death is and what it means in this tangible world of ours, which is why so much time and thought is spent on the subject.

Coming to terms with the mortality of those around us as well as our own is one of the most difficult things for people to overcome.

quote:
I should live my life not in fear of death, nor in anticipation for the aftermath of the end of my life, and that if there is some glamorous ending or universal truth that is answered then I shall wait patiently and enjoy what time I have as a physical being.

Living with this mantra can free a person from many socially constraining ideals.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We know for certain when we die that our bodies perish. Unless we freeze them - maybe. And that's food for thought isn't it?

Another way of thinking of this is to do experiments. The only people who we can test are the people who are alive and died for a short time. Test for consistency in their answers.

Heres one for you - to test whether Miss Psychicbullcrap who talks about floating above her body in a bubble of plasmic hyperrealm claptrap before she went back in and re-entered the mortal coild of existence seperated from the spiritual realm of wank - we can do a test.

If she did float then she can tell us what object was say on a shelf that she couldn't have seen from where she was lying on a hospital bed or from where she entered the room.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 33yrs • M •
frenzel517 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i don't know much about this subject
but i don't think exspecting death is part of it i think relizeing death is part of life you can't say you welcome death because then you would do what ever you want with worrying about the conquences of your actions
i don't beleave in a heaven or hell i beleave in a after life that when you die you know weather you were a good person or not its not for someone else to dicide if you know you lead a life of trying to help others and being a freind and getting up every morning and trying your hardest then you will walk the earth servarying those around you that you loved and you will make freinds even if they don't know their your freinds and watch over those who arn't strong enough mentally to make their own decsions and if you know you did good then you'll live a after life of true happyness with out worry of physical inquarys and if you did not do well and you know you hurt others deeply then you will have to live with ever making up for what you've done just walking the earth forever restless and your soul unsettled

34yrs • F •
Something else that Could happen... really really briefly:

Okay angels come and take your soul, you are questioned in the grave about three things, islam, muhammed and the quran. Fail to answer correctly and you're already messed up. Your soul is taken by specific angels depending on how you lived your life. Ifyou were good, not the good u say, the good god says, then your soul is taking in a musk scented cloth and taken to heaven. the doors ar opened and everyone is pleased, (angels) and then your name is written amongst the dwellers of paradise and then sent back to earth. If you were not so good, then your soul is put in a rough kind of cloth, that stinks and taken to heaven but the doors will not open and your soul is thrown back to earth. and your name is written amongst dwellers of hell. ... ... .......

and time goes on for other people whilst if you were good you will sleep in the grave, if you were bad you will be punished in the grave untill the last day.

then the trumpet is blown for the first time and all of mankind that is living dies, the second trumpet is blown, everyone gets up, from the first person to the last. btw, the world is self destructing, the suns been squished and the moon, and all the planets, the sea is on fire and the heavems are rolled like scrolls all in the hand of Allah. which hand, we cannot ask.. so everyone is raised, brought to the plain of hashr, the plain of the gathering. Ans from adam to bob, to samntha, to ,mukka of south africa, they are all questioned about how they spent their lives and if they died in state of belief in God. If not, andyou spent your life not how he wnted the angels wiill grab you and fling you into jahanam, hell. And this hell is crazy, insane, shes smoking baby, they say 70,000 angels hold onto one rope that controls it, there are 70,000 ropes, thats how big jahannam is.. and angels are huge, one wing can cover the earth. sounds intense, believe me you have heard nothing. And jannah.. paradise is so beautiful. Muhammed said it is a place no eye has seen, no ear has heard of and no mind can think of. The foundations of the houses is pearl, could you imagine the jewelry, they say is a woman of paradis looks down upon the earth, if she had, then her light is so much that it would illuminate the enitre earth.

This is what will happen after death according to ISlam.

I wonder what other religions say.

32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Bantam_Confrere is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
See, the reason I believe that religion and secular ideas have become corrupt in their own cause as of Modern day is that 'religion' was originally formed to create a path for the human's journey through life, i.e. Such that an explorer uses a map to guide him through various passages and routes he/her may encounter.

So honestly, most of these ideas seem very promising but if you would like to think logically for a moment, convincing yourself that one particular set of things will happen seems foolish. Yes, as analytical and logical as I may seem on such a 'spiritual' subject, I do believe in something called a soul, just not perhaps as many define it. I believe that there is some life force that is associated with every living organism. This life force may not be a definitive object or entity, but I believe when this life force is ready to pass on to whatever journey it may pass on to, it - if one can call it that - will ultimately and utterly determine when and how it exits the physical being.

And as for your quote Jim:
quote:
Another way of thinking of this is to do experiments. The only people who we can test are the people who are alive and died for a short time. Test for consistency in their answers.

Heres one for you - to test whether Miss Psychicbullcrap who talks about floating above her body in a bubble of plasmic hyperrealm claptrap before she went back in and re-entered the mortal coild of existence seperated from the spiritual realm of wank - we can do a test.
If she did float then she can tell us what object was say on a shelf that she couldn't have seen from where she was lying on a hospital bed or from where she entered the room.

Your reply does seem a little bit reminiscent of the "Sci-Fi" channel. Things cannot be so simply assumed in such a question of this magnitude in that you cannot base your response as if it were factual evidence - and being a human being all you are given is what you know is tangible, and you have stated merely a far-off guess in my opinion (no offense intended).

In conclusion, I do believe that whatever and whoever these entities that may be associated within our being have 'died', then it was meant to be undeterminable by the human mind. It seems unnatural and foolish to be that one should try to find a definite answer, because in my book the universal truths should only be answered when one has achieved the freedom of the physical being.

So I will state again, it would be wise to incorporate into your life the ideals that one should live their life in accordance, not in anticipation of what is to ultimately take place.

"How nice - To say nothing, yet still get full credit for being alive."
 42yrs • M •
lol.

Bantam, you should read posts more carefully. Though you're certainly smart for 15.

You'll see that beyond my colourful sceptisism there is only suggestions to find an answer to the question - and there is a world of difference between this and answering the question.

All science starts with imagination and then uses critical reasoning and testing to assess whether or not what is proposed or theorised is true or works. However, all creative things lie in intuition - I have a sense that most encounters are not 'real' - by that I mean they are unique to the person.

For a bit more here's another test.

Gather people who died after say a heart attack and then were resuccetated.

Gather there explanations of what they saw, felt or otherwise sensed. And then see whther there is consistency in any of the tests.

The problem here is that the person would be influenced by their culture; i.e. from images of what they have seen in books; religion, etc. as well of course the funny guy who likes to tell fanciful stories.

So to test further, gather groups from other cultures and then compare them both within and outside that culture.

If there is a common theme, then this post might start to make headway with an answer.

I don't personally know of such investigations.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
NDE's (near death experiences) have been proven to have a number of commonalities among all who experience them.

-tunnel vision
-out of body experience
-life flashing before eyes
-encounter with a "guide" e.g.- Jesus (this would be where the cultural influence comes in to play)

These experiences have also been produced by those who have taken Ketamine.

There was also an experiment done where messages were written on top of lights above surgical beds so that if anyone were to die they would be able to see these messages and report back in order to prove they had actually had an out of body experience. I can't seem to find it at the moment and I don't remember the results. There are several examples of verified events during an out of body experience, however. This still does not prove life after death though.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 34yrs • F •
Yup, because you're not dead untill you are dead.

42yrs • M •
I'm impressed with your knowledge Wyote. I tend to agree it wouldn't prove life after death. There's always a but though. Finding out what happens after death is no easy task.

However, the key comes when you seperate biology from the experience. If it could be shown that people have experience that is independent of their biological functions, then we certainly have something beyond convemtional science.

For example, if one experienced being in a garden or floating around the room, and the neurological testing did not eport any brain activity either at all or that triggers imagination, then that would be a gap. However, proving that the experience was during this time period is more difficult. Its also difficult wiring someone up when your trying to save their life!

Save all that, I personally think its a waste of time; but some beardy with time to waste might just do it; if they already haven't.

34yrs • M •
AgainstTheGrain is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I honestly think when you die , things will be the same for you as the time before you were born. Eternal silence and dormancy. A final everlasting peace. depressing as hell when i think about it.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Borderline psychotic"--I like that Bantam_Confrere. Whether a beliefe in the theory of eternal recurrence is a symptom of psychosis really doesn't matter--you can believe in it or not--doesn't matter because it simply establishes the fact that you must live now, and live as you just asserted. Oh, well.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy