If you love your boy friend, let him go. If he doesn't come back...he's with me. - <anonymous>
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The 80's

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The 80's
This thread may mean allot to some, and nothing to others. But to me, its about my childhood. It will go from all I have to contribute, and beyond. But its genesis is from my very first memories of music.

The very first song I will post is one I recall in my very youngest years.

You may not know this song as its an Australian song, but it captured the early era of that period so well. I love the sound even now. So electronic and experimental with where it was going. Sad music could never follow that path and eventually sidestepped to unmeaningfull pop.

It was, as each memory of then, a catalyst from childhood to my teenage years. Possibly the first song I recall that touched my heart and made me feel things I had never felt before. This song awakened my desire for a woman and my eternal need for the feeling most call love.

It was possibly what got me into fantasy also. Memories of writing a story about the beastman, the really beautiful princess and the man who would save her echo in my memories to this day.

I wonder at these musicians and their actors, and what they were trying to portray. Fantasy wasn't cool back then so far as I know.

But this was total fantasy getaway as far as I am concerned.

And to me, it was one of the very first songs I ever liked, wether fantasy or cool or something else,.
This video appears to have been removed

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 42yrs • M •
Stand or Fall.

42yrs • M •
The best version.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Nostalgia is one of my favorite things, some may think its simply a waste of time, but I'm big on perspectives. Perspectives can change over time given new revelations, including those from newly discovered old information that can redefine what was once common knowledge. So given the importance of history in general, I see little wrong with nostalgia, like all things, its generally only bad when abused.

I absolutely love that first song, I looked for it to post it before but only got the Scorpions song, which is just as good actually. So it made its way to the states and I thank you for its addition here.

Fantasy was actually pretty big in the 80's here up over, uh, in the states.

Lord of the rings was getting a big animated feature, Tom Cruise was in Legend, Conan was huge, Krull was awesome, and the list goes on with such tales as The Never Ending Story.

Dungeons and Dragons was in its prime.

But there was definitely a changing of the guard, getting away from westerns we were definitely into anything futuristic and sci fi, as usual, but often with that post apocolyptic angle given the cold war mood.

But you should know about that with one of the biggest proponents of that being epitomized in Mad Max, though far more so in the sequals.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the cult... she sells sanctuary

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I love Alphaville

Big In Japan
Forever Young

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 42yrs • M •
quote:

Fantasy was actually pretty big in the 80's here up over, uh, in the states.

Lord of the rings was getting a big animated feature, Tom Cruise was in Legend, Conan was huge, Krull was awesome, and the list goes on with such tales as The Never Ending Story.
Dungeons and Dragons was in its prime.

I definalty agree with you that fantasy sci-fi was popular back then. But was it ever cool? I know it wasn't over here. Dungeons and dragons was the thing nerds did to pass away the time in the library while hiding away from the school bullies. This was before people spoke in kilingon or could go to a movie premier dressed as a stromtropper.

But rock n roll was cool. It was the coolest thing you could be- a rock/popstar.

So what I was initially wondering was why these people who wanted to make it big in the "cool" world of music and break into that scene (as I believe this was their first song.) chose to do a fantasy clip which alot of people wouldn't relate to. Most people were still doing whatever was cool at the time: jumping around in tight pants, with scantily clad women doing their backing vocals.

It was a bold move, and i was just wondering how they felt about doing something I and you like, but which wasn't common for the music scene back then.

Nowadays you can get away with that. You can do just about anything in a video. Alot of videos I see have about 20 mins of whimsical "movie" footage throughout their songs.

But back then, I believe it was a big gamble. And I liked the result.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
But was it ever cool?

Um, well, no.

Between the jocks and the bible thumpers it was actually even condemned in many respects, but being the ignorant portion of the masses, it was also feared.

And since these were times where lynching and witch burning were actually frowned upon, and because it wasn't a haven of "coloreds" and "fags", it thrived.

But yes, fairly underground, but not in a cool underground sense by any means.

Cults got more respect than the nerd community.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Talking of fantasy - "Ah-ha's Take on me"
Or should I say fantasy love

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Legend - Lily and the unicorns

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 42yrs • M •
For me this thread is about capturing my very earliest memories of music... when I was just able to grasp and appreciate it for what it was.

I didn't really understand all these lather clad men wearing lipstick and makeup, but I liked the actual sound of it.

It had a very unique quality to it. The whole 'electronic age' was coming in for them. (If only they knew just how simplistic their version of technology and elcotinics was compared to today. )

They felt in the very first glimmer of electronics and technology everything was space and androids and it reflected in the very cold and emotionless expressions and demeanors of alot of those bands.

Im sure an expert would be able to give a more in depth account of these people's feelings and goals than I can. But this is just my nostalgic take on the era.

Also I believe the music I was referring to was New Romantic.

After Punk destroyed progressive and more serous rock, then consumed itself, new wave was the aftermath. Then I believe the New Romantic era came in in the very really eighties.

But I was too young to really understand the history of it and am only going by my childhood memories.

But for me, the sound I loved that touches my heart is the new Romantic Era where everyone was wearing makeup and acting very androgynous and emotionless as if to emulate the android concept that was a result of the world getting its first taste of electronic sounds and technology. Synthesizers, drum machines, voice distortion etc.

Whatever the case, and however I am in my memories of it, it was a time of depth after the punk movement and one of the last (in my opinion) final eras when musicians played purely because they wanted to be creative and because they had a deep emotion they wanted to share.

I feel there was a certain melancholy and sadness that I can deeply relate to. I wonder if my childhood listening to these bands influenced me in any way. As I feel I am every melancholic, dark and brooding man.

But anyway. On with the show!!

42yrs • M •
Homosapien
Pete Shelly

42yrs • M •
Fade to Grey.
Visage

42yrs • M •
I Ran
Flock of Seagulls

42yrs • M •
David Bowie
Ashes to Ashes

Has to be one of the best videos of all time. Even by todays stadards.

I just adore the hues and saturation of colors to create the otherworldly feel.

And the song is also a favourite of mine.

The 80's
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy