Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and have their shoes. - LostDreamer
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Book of the Dead

User Thread
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Book of the Dead
This is especially for Wyote who I know is interested in this subject. This is not an excerpt from the interpretation that I own as I cannot find it but an alternative to illustrate the point about the ten commandments and there being an Egyptian morality before Moses. This is a straight passage lift from the book titled below.

ANCIENT EGYPT - THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD by GERALD MASSEY Î'Î'
BOOK 4
EGYPTIAN BOOK OF THE DEAD AND THE MYSTERIES OF AMENTA

In order that the Osiris may pass the Great Assize as one of the justified, he must have made the word of Osiris truth on earth against his enemies. He must have lived a righteous life and been just, truthful, merciful, charitable, humane. In coming to the Hall of Judgment or Justice to look on the divine countenance and be cleansed from all the sins he may have committed he says, “I have come to thee, O my Lord. I know thee. Lord of Righteousness is thy name. I bring to thee right. I have put a stop to wrong”. His plea is that he has done his best to fulfil the character of Horus-Makheru. Some of his pleas are very touching. “He has not exacted from the labourer, as the first-fruits of each day, more work than was justly due to him. He has not snatched the milk from the mouths of babes and sucklings. He has not been a land-grabber. He has not dammed the running water. He has caused no famine, no weeping, no suffering to men, and has not been a robber of food. He has not tampered with the tongue of the balance, nor been fraudulent, mean, or sordid of soul. There is a goodly list of pre-Christian virtues besides all the theoretical Christian ones. Amongst others, he says, “I have propitiated the god with that which he'loveth”. This was especially by the offering of Maat, viz., justice, truth, and righteousness. “I have given bread to the hungry, water to the thirsty, clothes to the naked, and a boat to the shipwrecked” (ch. 125). Yet we have been told that charity and mercy were totally unknown to the pagan world. He asks the forty-two assessors for the great [Page 206] judge not to go against him, for he did the right thing in Tamerit, the land of Egypt. His heart is weighed in the scales of justice.He passes pure, as one of those who are welcomed by Horus for his own faithful followers, the blessed of his father, to whom it is said, “Come, come in peace”. Horus the intercessor, advocate, or paraclete, now takes him by the hand and leads him into the presence of Osiris in the sanctuary. The Manes in the Judgment Hall is black-haired, as seen in the pictures of Ani (Papyrus of Ani, pI. 4). But when he kneels before Osiris on the throne his hair is white. He has passed as one of the purified and is on his way to join the ranks of the just spirits made perfect, who are called the glorified. The attendants say to him, “We put an end to thy ills and we remove that which is disorderly in thee through thy being smitten to the earth” in death. These were the ills of mortality from which he has now been freed in spirit. Here occurs the resurrection of the Osiris in the person of Horus, and it is said, “Ha, Osiris ! thou hast come, and thy Ka with thee, which uniteth with thee in thy name of Ka-hetep” ( ch. 128). An ordinary rendering of “Ka-hetep” would be “image of peace” = type of attainment; but as the word hetep or hepti also means number seven, that coincides with the Ka being an image of the septenary of souls, complete at last to be unified in the hawk-headed Horus.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is the copy I have (somewhere!) If anyone wants to try and buy it.

A Journey through the darkness of Dwat - the ancient Egyptian word for netherworld - to find the spiritual realm. Guided by Dr Selem's full translation of the papyrus of Hunefer discover more about life now, hereafter and everlasting.

Author: Dr Ramses Seleem
Binding: Hardback
Category: Egypt
RRP: £17.99
ISBN: 0806926597
Publisher: Godsfield
Year: 2001
Pages : 144

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
The Book of the Dead
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy