Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Religion versus God's Existence.

User Thread
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The movie Zeitgeist is tagged with a question that asks what religion, 911, and the Federal Reserve have in common. The first part of the movie takes a look at the role of religion in our political history. And while I think its easy to see how religion has been used for mass control and abuse all over the world, it takes a particularly intriguing look at the role of symbolism in all of this.
Yet it is important to realize that nowhere does the movie attempt to say: there is no God.
And I think the task at hand is to separate the concept: God, from the concept: Religion.

The worship of the Sun can be traced back to the Pharaoh Akhnaten (husband of the famous Nefertiti). And it is easy to see how the Sun might be worshiped when the very existence of life as we know it depends upon it. As indeed all of our most spiritual (and intellectual) metaphors have to do with Light versus Darkness, the need for a balance in both, and the illumination of Truth that shows us a path forwards. The likening of the Sun to the concept of God is I think perfectly plausible. The wicked part comes when we attach human individuals to this concept, thereby claiming authority and ultimately control. This is Religion.

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have a translation of the book of the dead, it's an interesting book, unfortunately my mum is borrowing it so I can't look up the specifics, but in it it actually talks about one creation God and when I get it back I'll have to give you some examples, but i found it a beautiful and interesting view on creation and the afterlife.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy