Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Genesis

User Thread
 39yrs • F •
icebergkk is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Genesis
In Genesis, God intends to create a perfect paradise. However, the world he created doesn't seem to be that perfect. He doesn't allow Adam and Eve to eat the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, then why he creates that tree in Eden. Also, if he thinks that his world is perfect, then how can he allow the evil snake to appear? Isn't it so contradictive? Don't you think he never created a perfect world?

68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Or...
Maybe the idea of paradise comes from a common sense of human longing and idealism. And that combined with the nature of dualism: in that we cannot experience one thing without its counterpart. Good versus evil and so forth.

And so perhaps the idea of paradise becomes linked with the notion of guilt (and sin), and this rather conveniently becomes a means with which to manipulate the unruly masses.

Rather like our current idea of a global paradise today, being a place of wholesome natural beauty with clean air and plenty of good dry land which exists in service to Humanity. And now we have the guilt part: YOUHAVE ALL RUINED IT with your use of motorcars, and appliances etc, which have 'caused' global warming. And so now should we wait to be punished? or 'turned out from the Garden of Eden'?

Or are we perhaps once more being manipulated in a 'time-honoured' and very old fashioned way?

38yrs • M •
The Begining is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i think he never created a perfect world to begin with.

in fact he never said it was perfect. just certan aspects of it look good
" like God made light" and then said " God saw the light and said it was Good"

and why should he make a world that was good? what fun do you have if every thing just obeys ever single thing you say.
so he didnt demand loyalty he wanted to see if man could love and obey him without somebody having to prompt him like a slave and whip him into shape. so he put the tree to see if man could hold his own (guess not). the snake i dont know what to say about the snake. other than it needs a beat down

"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think someone made "Genesis" up and that it has nothing to do with anything.

And if god is testing people, he's probably testing their bullshit detectors, which don't seem to work too well.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
I think someone made "Genesis" up and that it has nothing to do with anything.

And if god is testing people, he's probably testing their bullshit detectors, which dont seem to work too well.

Leftwood, please forgive me for absolutely adoring virtually everything you have to say...but I do. You are everything (and more) that anyone could want Spider Man to be..

quote:
the snake i don't know what to say about the snake.

Now I begin to think I actually like the snake! After all the snake serves to expand their consciousness by tempting a bite from the tree of knowledge. Three cheers to Eve for being bold enough to do so, and for releasing them both from a life of obedient ignorance!

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Maqbe God did want to test Adam and Eve but he actually was testing which one would use their free will (which he gave them to set them aside from the Angels). Perhaps he was actually secretly pleased that Eve was brave enough and intelligent and curious enough to want more than a life of the same old boring bliss day after day in Eden. Maybe she wanted to have more of God's knowledge so she could talk to God because Adam was so boring and didn't want to enjoy more out of God's glorious garden paradise. If life was so perfect why was it lacking in the enlightenment departement?

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If I was in the Garden of Eden I think I'd probably eat from the tree of knowledge (after a couple years of R&R of course). Paradise gets old. I'm sure at some point I'd long for an adventure or a challenge and set fire to the cradle God so lovingly built for me. If this world wasn't constantly changing, people would get bored and kill themselves. End of story.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wayback is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Of course it was perfect, till the snake (man) screwed it up out of arrogance matched only by ignorance.

32yrs • M •
The Nitorist is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Who is to say that "perfection" means all good? Maybe we as humans have idealized the very ideal of perfection. It could very well be that the idea of perfection is actually a delicate balance between what is good (God's presence in the Garden of Eden, man, and woman) and what is "evil" (the snake and the fruit). Perhaps Eden was not a land of complete good but rather a place of "yin-yang" balance. What set off the balance? Was it the good (man and woman) partaking in what was supposedly bad? Or is anti-conformity the thing that throws off balance? And if the latter is true, perhaps the world has gone into a different kind of perfection: a perfection of individuality.

""What life! What cheery expectation resides in our existence!""
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That is a very profound post for a 15 year old.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
Genesis
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy