Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. - Archimedes
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What do you think will happen in 30 years when experts say the earth's oil is tapped out?

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that danman2_2999 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What do you think will happen in 30 years when experts say the earth's oil is tapped out?
It is obvious that these "fossil fuels" are not being produced any longer, and our ever-growing global demand of oil is only going to increase as Chevy, Ford, as well as all of the other car companies continue to shell out new, bigger, more gas inefficient vehicles.....yeah I know, now we have hybrids available, but even that is not going to stop the general population from purchasing vehicles, and only causing more problems.

I am sure there is a correlation between the profits of car companies and the profits of big oil.

"You build cars that need a lot of fuel, then we get paid!" - Big Oil

What do you guys think? Everything in our society runs on oil, whether its the cars that drive us to work to stimulate our economy, which then drives the global economy, alll the way to the products that actually contain oil or one of its product, as well as the other things that do not have oil in them, but the machines that create the products need oil.

My major is computer science, but I realize that in 30 years, computers arent going to be as available as they are now, so I am changing my major to some health science, prolly Biology, hopefully i'll become an RN.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

"down to smoke a bowl?"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good question, Dan.

Russia has now joined in in climate change agreements, which in principle makes the obligations to reduce CO2 emissions legally binding. This won't do anything yet. What it will do is to increase those countries ability keenness to pursue alternative fuels.

I think that developed European countries will be switching to nuclear power; its the only real source of energy that has been offcially pursued that will provide the countries needs. However, bear in mind that political instablity will mean poorer countries won't be able to produce nuclear power. So I really don't know where the power will come from then; especially in the light of ever increasing CO2 emission regulations; coal is hardly going to be flavour of the month.

As for the US, it had better get its socks on really, what happens to your bank account if all you do is take money out of it? It'll switch to nuclear or find some other fuel to keep its status.

""No words""
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can't believe the lack of response. This is one of the more important questions on here.

""No words""
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that danman2_2999 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I cannot agree with you more! I thought I would get many responses.....it is pretty sad and just goes to show that Americans really are asleep when dealing with this issue...

"down to smoke a bowl?"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wayback is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This may seem to be out of context but . . . Impeach him, are you a bunch of pussies?
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/18479/25/the-antibush-thread.htm#7185

This guy, I have heard before & I have to admit he made a valid point about the issue (past) of illegal immigrants. While he may not have specific but he did introduce the idea that Mexico's oil was being supplied to the USA. Now if we didn't buy their oil then our industries would have moved to Mexico in order to acquire the oil produces needed by their industry. Immigration to the USA would not be such a problem as they would stay where they had economic opportunity for growth.
Another show dealt with . . . http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/71744/al-gore-speaks-up-against-abu-g
hraib.htm

I was surprised as I had watched congressional members grilling Gore with the same statements that he used in his program. But one thing that did bother me was his statements regarding global warming. First of all, he had chosen his words carefully as to imply doubt (disbelief) that it is something to be concerned about & in the discussion he stated that a number of leading (government-type) scientist had disputed the facts.
#1 So I had written that strange how these people who are leaders in their fields had not given an accurate account of the problems we face in general.
Every year people die from heating their homes some of these result from {CO} carbon monoxide poisoning. The fact is so accepted, every year some people will knowingly vent the exhaust into their vehicle just to end their life. Of course some will simply start their vehicle in a closed garage to perform the same ritual. As the garage being larger it tends to take longer because of the larger volume & the vehicle could possible run out of fuel.
quote:
So we can see that changing to green fuel may be a short term solution to gas shortages but a greater & more potent problem will still continue to grow.

#2a Now, some may say that the earth has many sources of (O2) oxygen & therefore the problem is not of real concern. But like the water in your swimming pool, a mixture of chlorinated acids which tend to keep the level of chlorine at a level necessary to kill bacteria, etc => purify the water but not poison those using the pool.
quote:
One such possible source rich in oxygen is the ozone layer such reactions are of high probability of side reactions that occur as (CO2) carbon dioxide concentrations increase.

#2b Although government has established emission standards for vehicles, etc., we need to ask ourselves "Is lower emissions actually easing the deteriorating effect as the increase in the number & use of vehicles increases, as urban spread continues to pave over the fauna that recycles the oxygen in the air, etc?
quote:
Wonder if those prominent people may of ulterior motivation for not finding that we are in fact poisoning the planet?
Isn't our planet a living body just as we are living bodies? Would it be too out of context to imply that our industrialization is to the planet like smoking cigarettes is to your body?

[  Edited by Wayback at   ]
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that James008 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Easy. that big money from big oil has bought up all the free energy devices so in 30 years time there banks are going to be fat and then when the oil is up they simply produce the free energy devices and make more money and the products that need oil like lubricants and Vaseline and all those products will be produced by plants. but in the mean while we are going to struggle with pollution. just search on Google for free energy devices and you can actually build some of for your home use or whatever. i have build myself a DC motor that uses high voltage and it pulsed at some 20 kHz which produce 5 times more energy then it receives.

Good luck at accepting the things we can't change by our selves.

"Life is interesting but the universe rules."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy