Life is worth living for until you believe that life isn't worth living. - Weebl
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Alaska adventure where people get killed

User Thread
 57yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that WolfLarsen is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ALASKA ADVENTURE
(THE KIND THAT GETS YOU KILLED)

From Unalaska, Alaska the novel
By
Wolf Larsen

Chapter 2
The next morning the flight from Seattle to Anchorage seemed normal enough. There were stewardesses and soft drinks and buckle your seatbelt signs and all that. The plane went up and then it went it down. Everything seemed normal enough.

Then I got to the gate for my flight to Unalaska. Nothing would ever be normal again.

A bunch of dudes stood and sat around the waiting area to Unalaska. The air around them was a mixture of gloom and desperation. Everyone's face seemed to say, 'We're going to the worst place on Earth!'

'After one month on land and you're already going back to sea!' one dude was saying to another. 'How did you manage to spend all that money in one month?!? What did you do? Snort a line of coke as long as the Earth's orbit around the sun?? Or did you just spend the whole month in a whorehouse without leaving??'

'I had a good time,' came the reply.
'I certainly hope so!' came the response.
Then the announcement came. 'We will now begin boarding flight number blah blah blah for Unalaska/Dutch Harbor.'

No one moved.
Five minutes later there was another announcement. 'If you have a ticket for Unalaska/Dutch Harbor please board the plane now.'
Still, no one moved.
I had never seen anything like this before. Usually people all pile up like a herd of cows before the door.

'This is the last announcement for Unalaska/Dutch Harbor. All Unalaska/Dutch Harbor passengers must be in line at this time.'

A few people stood up – groaned – and headed to the door. Others headed to the door like there was some huge burden on their shoulders. 'Is it that bad??' I thought. 'It can't possibly be that bad!' I thought.

On the plane I noticed that the only women were stewardesses. I asked the guy next to me, 'Are there many women in Unalaska?'
'Don't worry,' he assured me, 'there's one behind every tree.'
I breathed a sigh of relief.
When the plane started to land I looked out the window, and I couldn't believe what I saw. There were no trees. Not a single one.
It was the most barren place I had ever seen in my life. The South Side of Chicago didn't even come close.

The South Side of Chicago has whole empty blocks where only one abandoned building is standing, but Unalaska was much more barren than that.

I had never seen anything like it. The island was volcanic mountains sticking up out of the ocean all over the place. It was beautiful! But it was the most brutal kind of beauty that I had ever seen in my life.

People from our boat met us at the airport.
'Are you Jessie?' some dude with a clipboard asked.
'Yes,' I said. 'But people call me J', I lied. I was starting a new life for myself, so I was starting a new name for myself.
'Is that 'J' as in J-a-y?' he asked.
'Sure,' I said. New name. New life. It was that easy.

We all got into a van. The van drove. Outside it was gray and dreary and miserable. The weather couldn't decide whether it wanted to snow or rain, so it settled on some miserable cold wet in between. The van stopped at the Alaska Commercial Company. Everyone got out to buy something except me. It was going to be a long time before anyone would have a chance to go to the store. I stayed put in the van because I didn't have any money to buy anything.

Everyone got in the van and the van drove. No one said much.
The boat was big. We walked up the plank. They showed us our bunks. I was in a room with eight guys. Then we went to the galley.
The guys were all talking about how much fun they had had on their vacations.

'I had so much fun I probably got AIDS,' said one laughing. He was just a little fat and very greasy looking. The kind of guy that can eat fifty hot-dogs in a row at the state fair competition.

Almost everyone appeared to be white trash. There was some trash from other races thrown in the mix too. I was all ears.

These guys – most of them – had been on vacation for months and months. They had walked off this boat with a nice chunk of cash, and had done whatever they felt like every day, until they ran out of money. And now they were back to get some money to go back on another nice long vacation. The idea of walking off this boat with a big chunk of money excited me! Although what I planned to do with all that free time and liberty was a bit different than these others.

The boat steamed out to sea. Everyone spent most of their time sleeping. They wanted to sleep now because they expected to be real tired all the time real soon.
Within a day or so there was a horrible roaring sound. It woke me up. I went into the galley. I asked someone, 'What's up? What's all that noise?'

'Haulback,' came the response, 'get ready to go to work'.
I went to the change area. People were putting their work clothes on, which were thick rubber boots and thick plastic raingear pants (that went from our feet to our chests), and thick cotton gloves which we put plastic gloves over, and then up to the deck we went.

We went out on deck to watch the haulback. A huge round mechanical drum struggled and creaked and groaned with the difficulty of pulling up the tremendous load up out of the bottom of the ocean. As the big roller pulled and pulled there was endless banging and creaking and more banging while the machine roared and roared. When the net came up it was huge! There were so many different kinds of fish and many of the fish were struggling and fighting – their mouths were opening and closing and opening and closing as they suffocated in the air.

'There's so much fish!' I exclaimed to the guy next to me. 'How much fish is that?'
'It's only about 15 tons. Not much,' he responded. He was a tall skinny man with a big coke nose that leaped out of his face.
'Fifteen tons is not much!' I thought – 'Wow!'
'What kind of fish is that?' I asked.
'That's mostly Pollock,' said skinny tall coke nose. 'All the freezer sections in every supermarket from Japan to America is filled with Pollock, Pollock, and more Pollock! And we're the ones who catch it.'

We went down into the factory. There was a whole big mess of fish pushing out of something they called the 'live tank'. The smell was awful. Up until that time it was the most intense smell I had ever experienced in my life. It wasn't so much the fish as the factory. And the factory was clean! However, it was obvious nothing could rid the factory of the smell of the endless tons of fish that had rolled through here.

One of the other greenhorns threw up on the spot. Then one of the crewmen grabbed a fish and bit its head off. Then he spit out the head of the fish at the feet of the guy who had just thrown up.
'Don't worry' – said the fish head eater to the greenhorn that threw up – 'You'll be able to do the same in a month... or in a week if you ain't a pussy!'
'Oh Alex! That's nothing! When you bite a fish head off you're supposed to chew it!' said another guy standing nearby.
'Well, let's see you do it then you big talker!' responded the fish head eater.
So the second guy grabbed a fish and bit its head off and chewed it up, and then he spit it out at the feet of the guy who had just thrown up.
The guy looked down at the chewed up fish head at his feet. Then he threw up all over again.

I went to one of the conveyor belts, which was filled with fish rolling through the factory. 'You grab the fish,' a guy with a shrieking voice explained to me, 'and you grab this knife.' The knife was thick and big and huge and sharp. It looked like a cross between a kitchen knife and an executioner's axe. If a kitchen knife and an executioner's axe ever met and had sex this would be their baby. 'Hey! Pay attention!' shrieking voice said. 'You grab the fish like this, and you chop its head off like this.'

The decapitated fish's body went down one conveyor belt still squiggling and wiggling. The chopped off head went down a different conveyor belt, its mouth still opening and closing and opening and closing.
It seemed easy enough.
And then I tried to do it. I made a massacre of that fish. It was a big mess. When I got done with that fish it looked like some kind of abstract sculpture.

'No! Chop it off in one big swoop,' he said showing me how it's done. And off went the headless body wiggling and squiggling down one conveyor belt, and off went the bodiless head its mouth still opening and closing and opening and closing just as beautiful as before.

'Now try again,' he said. I tried again. It was a little better. 'Well,' shrieking voice said, 'the bad news is that you suck! The good news is that you'll have 16 hours a day 7 days a week of practice to get better,' he said laughing. I tried to smile. I tried to chop off the fish heads as best as I could. I tried as best as I could not to chop off my own hand. Obviously, I succeeded in the last part or otherwise I wouldn't be writing about it.

As I began working the misery of the job began to really eat through me. Surrounded by all this dead fish and all these white trash people and the blaring machinery and the blaring music and that horrible smell all I wanted to do was quit. It was only the first hour of my first day working and all I wanted to do was walk out of this factory and never come back! I wanted to quit! I wanted to quit!! I WANTED TO QUIT!!! All I wanted to do was quit and get out of this big horrible mess I got myself into. But what was I going to do now – swim home? Half of me wanted to quit, but the other half of me wanted the money. Half of me wanted to walk out of this factory right now! But the other half of me kept saying, 'Don't quit! Stay right where you are! Keep working! Make that money!'

Working next to me was a white trash farm girl named Sally. She had a slightly less trashy friend working across from us. There was something about them – I thought maybe they might be lesbians. Then again, maybe not. Maybe dick or pussy it was all the same to them. I was curious because Sally sure had a nice ass. Otherwise, I wouldn't have given a damn whether they were lesbians or not, because they weren't anything close to pretty.

'So you're from San Francisco?' Sally asked me.
'No, I'm more from New York,' I blurted out. I'm not homophobic, but I didn't want to be pegged as 'the fag from frisco' on this boat.
'You're a New Yorker then,' Sally said.
'No, not really. I was born in Chicago,' I said.
'Oh the windy city!' she exclaimed.
(I hate it when people say that. Everybody says that. It's like everyone talks in broken records.)
'Maybe he's from Mexico,' Sally's girlfriend said, 'I heard him talking to Pablo in Mexican.'

And then somebody hit me in the side of the face with a fish. 'What the...' was all I could say before one of the skinniest runts I had ever seen was SCREAMING at me from across the factory, 'STOP CUTTING THE ROE YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT! AND HAUL ASS! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU STANDING THERE LOOKING AT ME FOR! HAUL ASS! WORK!'

I kept working. I said nothing. I figured there must be a reason why the skinniest runt in the world was bold enough to yell like that.
'This is the roe,' Sally said as she showed me. 'Whatever you do don't cut through that, because cutting through the roe is cutting through our money. Don't forget – we're getting paid by the fish not by the hour!'

'What is roe?' I asked.
'Eggs. The Japanese love it.'
'Who's that guy that yelled at me?' I asked.
Sally smiled. 'Oh that's Cueball,' she said.
'Cueball is his name?' I asked.
'Yeah, because he shaved his head, so everybody calls him cueball.'
'Is he an assistant foreman or something?' I asked.
'No, he's a processor just like you,' she said.

At that moment I felt rage surging inside of me. But I held my tongue. The last time I vented my rage at someone that confidant I almost got shot.

Then the fish ran out. We started cleaning. We were cleaning and cleaning and cleaning for a small forever before the foreman said, 'You're done'.
We sat in the galley to eat. The food wasn't bad but it wasn't good. It was heavy and filling – perfect for manual labor. 'Pick and shovel food' was what the fish head eater called it.

The female cook was a fat dumpy blond. She was fucking one of the deckhands. He was a big fat guy. She showed me a picture of her fiancée back in Louisiana while a fuck flick moaned and groaned on the television screen above us. Her fiancé looked like the responsible type. If she got knocked up at the beginning or the end of the trip by the deckhand, the guy in the photo looked like a good father and husband type. But if she got knocked up in the middle of the trip, the guy in the photo looked smart enough to figure it out. I said something pleasant to her about the man in the photo, and she smiled.

I was kind of surprised that the fuck flick played on as everybody both men and women ate at the table. There weren't a lot of women on the boat – there were some – but they didn't seem to mind the fuck flick at all. Maybe it was because all the male actors were nice and handsome, and they all had very big dicks.

Sitting at the table was Lisa. Everybody on the boat wanted to fuck her. She was a blond haired blue eyed big the-meat-all-went-to-the-right-place kind of milkmaid girl. She wasn't my type. I'm not into blonds. But I wanted to fuck her anyway.

The boat steamed somewhere else. We dropped net. We didn't catch much fish at all. It's like all the fish said, 'Oh no! Here comes that big bad fishing boat. Let's hide!'

Then the fishing boat steamed somewhere else and dropped net and a few hours later pulled the net back up. As we stood on deck shrieking voice exclaimed, 'Fish! Fish! We got fish! Yippeeee!' After all, we weren't being paid by the hour – we were getting paid a percentage of the catches.

This time the net was so much fuller than the last time. It seemed like all the fish in the world had happily jumped into the net as they sang, 'Yippeeeee – we're going to be eaten!'
I asked the skinny guy with the big coke nose leaping out of his face, 'How many tons of fish is that?'
'About 80 tons,' he answered. 'That's a good size net for a smaller boat like this one.'
'Other boats pull up more?' I asked.
'Yep!' he said. 'Some boats pull up to 200 ton nets.'
'Jesus Christ is that a lot of fish!' I thought to myself.

I started chopping fish heads off. One fish after another struggled and fought and squiggled to get out of my hand as I grabbed it. Each fish fought and squiggled and struggled even more as it felt the huge knife severing its head from its body. When the decapitated fish head went down the conveyor belt with its mouth moving and moving it seemed to be saying over and over again, 'Fuck you asshole!' – 'Fuck you asshole!' – 'Fuck you asshole!' Its decapitated body would be moving and squirming about as it was going down the other conveyor belt, and it almost seemed like it was looking for its head. Killing each fish took only seconds. It was a 16-hour day. I killed a lot of fish.

Then the foreman walked up and said to me, 'Go help pack!'
So I went to the back and started packing fish into these tray things. I was packing flatfish whose heads weren't chopped off. Each one of them had two eyes on one side of their head and no eyes on the other side of its head.

The urge to quit kept growing and growing inside of me. I was surrounded by all these disgusting mounds of fish and this disgusting fish smell and all these assholes and the huge roaring noise of the factory all combined to make me want to quit! I wanted to quit! It was all I could think of! God, I wanted to quit! I wanted to quit so bad! I wanted to quit and I wanted to quit and I wanted to quit!

Besides being freaky looking, there was another problem with these flatfish: a lot of them weren't dead yet. The fish kept squirming and moving around in those trays and messing up my packing.
'What the hell is wrong with these fish??' I exclaimed. 'Why don't they stop moving dammit! They're messing up my packing!'
The fish head eater said, 'Yeah these fish need to be more motivated. They should be more excited about being packed away and eaten.'
'EXACTLEY!' I said. And then I started grabbing any fish that moved and banging it against the wall over and over again. 'DIE FISH GODDAMMIT! HURRY UP AND DIE!' I yelled as I smashed and smashed the head of the fish against the wall.
Big coke nose said, 'I think that greenhorn Jay is a little psychotic. He just might make it on this boat!'
'Hey I don't think that's a bad idea,' Sally said, and she started grabbing any fish that was uncooperative and banging it over and over again until it was real dead. Others started to do the same.
'DIE FISH! DIE NOW!' the fish head eater said.
'Hey I think that Jay is contagious,' said somebody named missing fingers.

Then the foreman came by. He saw people banging fish against the walls and whacking the fish against the table and whacking the fish against trays and one was even whacking the fish against each other. He said, 'What's going on?'
'We're killing the fish really good!' said missing fingers.
He looked at the fish more carefully. 'You're bruising the fish,' he said. 'Stop doing that.'

Then he grabbed me by the arm and he showed me a big huge bin with lots and lots of fish in it. In the middle of the bin was a guy in fish up past his knees. There was very little water in there – it was almost all fish. He asked the guy, 'Would you like to pack fish?' 'SURE!' the guy exclaimed with a big huge smile suddenly jumping unto his face. He leaped up out of that bin so quickly, it seemed like he couldn't get out of there fast enough. 'Get in there Jay,' the foreman said.

I got in. It felt strange. I had never stood in fish up to my knees before.
'Start shoveling,' the foreman said.

So I started shoveling the fish unto the conveyor belt. It wasn't easy. The shovel was small. The fish were endless. The fish were falling into the big tank from a chute faster than I could shovel the fish unto the conveyor belt. I was getting deeper and deeper in fish. Soon the fish were almost up to my crotch! Suddenly I started working faster and faster! Anything to keep those fish (many were still living) away from my jewels! I was really motivated now! The foreman came by. 'Hey! I do believe we found a good position for you!' he said smiling as he watched me frantically shovel the fish away from me unto the conveyor belt. Then he laughed and walked away. He was always smiling. He was always laughing.

Then, as I struggled and shoveled and sweated and cursed at all the goddamn fish that were almost up to my crotch I remembered something; it was my birthday. It was my 23rd birthday.
Copyright 2004 by Wolf Larsen

I worked on a seasonal basis in Alaska for nearly 12 years. If you would like to read more you may go to:
www.secretwebsites.com/alaska_adventure.htm

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy