Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind - Leonardo da Vinci
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Supreme Court Stymies Atheist In Cross Issue

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
liteon is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
"The Supreme Court intervened Monday to save a large cross on city property in southern California. A lower court judge had ordered the city of San Diego to remove the cross or be fined $5,000 a day. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, acting for the high court, issued a stay while supporters of the cross continue their legal fight.

Lawyers for San Diegans for the Mt. Soledad National War Memorial said in an appeal that they wanted to avoid the "destruction of this national treasure." And attorneys for the city said the cross was part of a broader memorial that was important to the community. The 29-foot cross, on San Diego property, sits atop Mount Soledad. A judge declared it was an unconstitutional endorsement of religion."

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey - I made a post about this on my blog also:

quote:

Some people have called me a liberal (there is no such thing), but my closest friends are progressive, but this is where we will part ways.

THANK GOD FOR THE SUPREME COURT!

High court intervenes in fight over cross>
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/judicial/2006-07-03-cross-stay_x
.htm?csp=15

Some try to say that separation of church and state means that you can't have any crosses on government land. It was put there long ago to honor dead soldiers back in the day when people didn't complain about nit picky things. So now its an historacle monument to honor dead soldiers, to keep it, the city will have to pay 5000 a day in fines (you see - its all about money as Mammon rules our land).

How come there wasn't an issue with separation of church and state when they put it there? Because today there are people who hate religion and they have a weapon to go to war against it. I feel sorry for them, and us, because as we are fighting to clime over this ant hill that has become a mountain, real people are dieing over real problems that need to really be solved and while we are standing on the rail road tracks bickering over small stuff a train may run us over if we're not paying attention.

The way I understand it, separation of church and state means that the state DOESN'T get to take that cross down, but must rather respect freedom of religion and freedom of speech AND for the ass holes who don't like it, may you forever live down wind of your own farts.

I had to get that out, now I feel better.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy