In the chemistry of love one plus one is everything and two minus one equals nothing - rudra_tatvamasi
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Question for religious people.

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
blupigan is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
all the stories and mythologies that religions have created to support their beliefs, what if those same stories were told to you today? if a hobo walked up to you and told you he is the son of god, no one would believe him. why is it, that because something is old it becomes believable? at the begining of the christian religion the earth was believed to be flat. and the angels lived in a dome above the earth and heaven was -literally- in the clouds and hell was -literally- under the earth. obviously hell has fire because volcanoes erupt. if these stories are put into context how believably are they. a magical cloud land above the sky if you believe in what im saying, or a flaming inferno of hate forever if you dont. how come the basic structure of an entire religion can change just because it doesnt make sense anymore. if you call yourself a true believer of an ancient religion, dont you have to believe in what that religion was based on? to switch gears just because it no longer applies to what can be proven makes it no longer true christianity. shouldnt all religions that have been proved wrong be classified as mythology? how much more ridiculous is the Norse religion than the christian one. if you look at true christianity, they are just as silly if taken literally. yet at their inception they were taken literally. the entire idea of a individual soul comes from the desire to not die that most people have. they dont wish to lose their personality so they decide for themselves that their personal beliefs, i.e. the collection of thoughts in their minds, are a unique and special force. and that by adhering to a path, that collection can survive forever. science is the only real religion. its the only religion that assumes nothing. religions try to explain everything with no proof, and science tries to explain only what it can prove it real. once science can explain all facets of the universe it will become the only true religion. so for everyone who places themselves in a commercial religion(christian, jewish, muslim, hindu etc you know the wordlwide ones) do you believe what those religions tell you because you actually believe them? or is it because you want to. if you were alive at the inception of your religion, would you still believe it if you had to believe them literally as they were intended?

"i love you"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Where's a sheep when you need em.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hmm . . . Jesus stated what faith those who not seeing the faith manifest should believe in comparing the faith who were present when He walked the earth in human form. Wonder if this is indictative those in the past or those to come?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If a hobo walked up to me and healed me of my blindness and raised my friend from the dead and said he was the son of God, I might believe him.

Jesus however wasn't a hobo and never claimed to be the The Son of God but taught us to pray "Our Father who art in heaven" He taught us many great things.

Now - blupigan - Two questions for you 1)what did Jesus teach and 2)why shouldn't we believe it?

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Praetor is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But you see, just because what they believed then may not make sense now, you have to put it into context. Yes, they believed the world was flat, therefore the heaven above hell below made sense. Technically, it still makes sense now, although its not planar. Which means Hell is inside the Earth. Its confined. Hmm... isnt there a punishment for crimes known as solitary confinement? And, according to the bible and the teachings of Jesus, sinning is a crime. Heaven, being above the earth, would even seem bigger now than before, as heaven does represent and is freedom.

Again with the putting it in context, Jesus was not a beggar, albeit he was not rich. Jesus in his times, would be the same as your average middle-class man today.

"What's the point in not conforming, if it changes you?"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Here's a strange fact - The Hindu religion, older than the Jewish religion, supposedly the Jewish religion is a brake off from the Hindu religion. The way I understand it, Abraham was a Hindu who broke away from that religion and became the father of the Jewish religion.

Anyways - The Hindus believed that the earth was round. I would think that the Jews believed the same thing. How they knew this is baffling - things kinda went backwards during the dreaded dark ages.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy