Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Meaning of Life

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Meaning of Life
I understand there are probably 20 threads dedicated to this same question but I'm starting mine off with less bullshit. I was thinking about this question and it seems that the question is flawed. Meaning is a relative term. There is no meaning without two equal opposites. The one true equal opposite is something or nothing. The smallest particle to make up all that we see, feel, hear, smell, and taste is there just to give nothing meaning. Did I lose anyone? Therefore the one truth in this world is something or nothing. I honestly think life is just an endless loop. Is it possible to go beyond it? I'm not sure. This brings in my theory. The reason we can question life is reason enough to believe we can transcend it. We use all of the rescources on this earth for thought. Am I wrong? So, inevitably, we will expend every single rescource on this planet to keep our minds thinking. Once that is done, we'll move to another planet, possibly? Expend the rescources there. Is anyone seeing the pattern? Eventually... won't we use up every rescource in the universe for one thinking mind? I truly believe that is God. That one thinking mind that understands everything. Which gives meaning to every living thing. We all have bits and peices of thought to contribute to a greater whole. I think once we come together and achieve a full understanding of this life and its meaninglessness, we can then break the loop.

So go ahead, call me some whacked out cook. I don't give a shit. But prove me wrong while doing it so I can inherit a more refined belief. That's why I started this thread, for a chance that I might be wrong. So prove me wrong if you can, help me out.

"The truth will set you on fire"
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 36yrs • M
The whole rescources thing:

We do use all of these rescources for our mind though. Think about it, every rescource is used for a different concept or ideal. Some for power, some for pleasure, some for longevity of thought. I think a lot of these are misguided though and as we evolve as a race we will eventually use all rescources to understanding everything. There will be no need for war or weapons I believe. This is all primitive bullshit.

What does using the resources of this planet have to do with God?

Well I guess that depends on your definition of God. I suppose everyones is different, and I'd like to hear yours as well. Mine is a being or mind with understanding of all things, complete wisdom. I belive to be truly wise you in fact become God. But that's impossible to achieve by yourself. Therefore we need each other to achieve wisdom. Once we all come together for the cause of understanding everything, without war or fear or any of that unnecessary stuff, we will achieve wisdom and become God.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
On the grounds that we should;

Remember the past; learn from today; hope for tommorrow

I think maybe that it is the aim of everyone to become more than the current laws of determinism.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ekimup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
its funny, even through conflict or unity...we still manage to believe in a higher power. We realize that each of us is an individual.

Would he..she..."we" believe in a higher power, if we werent so self concious?

Also, do we choose the right path (ethically/religiously) because we wish to be one with everyone...or because we wish to eliminate everyone..rather, "leave them".(exceed or be a part)

"In this world, we are never lacking. Only losing what we have in hope of gaining what we dont."
 36yrs • M
I'm glad you said that ekimup. Because I really do feel that we all want to be with everyone. I think we are all born the same person, the only thing that changes us is our environment. To take it one step further, I think any life is the same person. Every insect, animal, human etc. We are all the same soul just trying to fulfill our needs/wants. Only through harmony will we achieve an everlasting peace.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ekimup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
way good answer

"In this world, we are never lacking. Only losing what we have in hope of gaining what we dont."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zach is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ChrisD - Have you ever watched any anime? Well if you have check these 2. Outlaw Star and Evangelion. Outlaw star perfectly describes what your talking about. And if you ever do take the time to watch it, the point of it lies within the Galactic Layline. ^^

36yrs • M
Thanks for the suggestion, I've since refined my theory of the meaning of life but I'll definately check those two animes. I have a few friends who have said Outlaw Star is their favorite anime but I never got the chance to see it.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe it may be useful to look at your meaning of life from moment to moment... As no two moments are exactly alike, the general meaning of life may be hard to get to...
It may be possible to have more than one purpose for a moment...
It may also be possible to have the same meaning for a moment in regards to another person, from being linked into the same situation...

I thought once that the best we can attempt to do (which we know we're doing) is to try our best... and that the best we can achieve (whether we know what we're doing or not) is to achieve greater consciousness ...

The main thing I do that brings meaning to my life involves trying to think of things I have not thought of before, then remembering them later... also things that bring meaning, involve working hard at my job and finding time to recreate and play basketball...

I don't think life would be much without friends and loved ones, and I think being social is one of the main things you can do, sharing and what-not...

"There is no negative one..."
 36yrs • M
Contributing to society is fine and dandy but I'd like to know why reality exists. That's more what I'm shooting for with the question "What's the meaning of life?"

31yrs • M •
Cartridge is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The meaning in life is pleasure. You speak of this ulterior motive of the human race to gain ultimate wisdom, but why? People enjoy gaining knowledge because the thought that they are improving themselves brings pleasure. That's all.

"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."
 39yrs • F •
jennabean is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ive never thought of it like that but you have a point, the reason people can not except this is because there is something within humans making them believe they have meaning and their life has meaning. Is this just a psychological mechanism in order to cope with our everyday lives? These thoughts may all be illusions, however they are vitaly important as they underpin everything we are, without the belief that what we do has some meaning then how are we going to get out of bed in the morning?!

""Your goal is to find out who you are\\\""
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Cartridge, write down your thoughts now-just spend some time writing down your views, feelings and ideas and review them later on. You're right insofar that people want pleasure; and I think that personal happiness should come first. Howveer, over and above this if there is personal happiness does this not spread for the want for others to be happy also? Is this therefore a higher truth?

As for the meaning of life; you have to really consider what was before; before you were born into this world. Then ask the question what is the meaning of not living and why would life come into existence?

""No words""
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The meaning of life - the ultimate contemplation!
Does life have to have meaning ? Is it not enough to say "I think therefore I am" or "I am therefore I live!"

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hi Decius,
I think 'I think therefore I am" is just concluding that to be aware of the fact that you are alive is enough. That is the only meaning of life that is really relevant. I'm here, I exist, I know I exist because I think I exist . Life is whatever I make of it. If life is crap then its crap, I can choose to change it or not. Whatever! Therefore the meaning of life is just to live! Yes?

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
The Meaning of Life
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy