Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

preventing death

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
gkokm21 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
preventing death
after reasoning for few years, i found out what i, as well as you all, should do. there is a common purpose for us after all.

first i agree we have to live life to the fullest. however, why does everyone seems to be ok with the idea that death is inevitable. for me, i believe that we should try our best to prevent death from aging and related sickness so that we can live as long as possible. i am not saying that we will find a solution, but i am just saying that we should at least try and put effort in this problem.

probably because the world is too absorbed in the materialistic and colorful world that it seems hard and unthinkable to achieve this. so they would rather play than to waste time on something which they did not think is really possible.

i agree that play and being with people is what we live for but we should first achieve longevity first, then after that we can do whatever you want to do.

a common response from people is "it is not the quantity that matters but quality of life" i truly with that but nevertheless, if we can prevent death, we will have more time and we still can lead a quality life with more time some more.

i believe skepticism is what prevents people from accepting this type of ideaology. if you look at the world today, its mainly about living in the moment and coming with all sorts of interesting event. hence, i am now trying to work out a methodology some day to convince people about putting resources into researching death prevention to increase our chance of finding a solution.

i am not suggesting that we should stop all kind of pastime or social activities and just focus on death prevention (aging and others). just increase our time, effort in this area is a good start i think.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
when you find the elixer of life, call me.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The is an ancient Greek proverb which says, "Call no man happy until he is dead". The inevitability of death is an integral part of of the way we view the world. That said, I used have to similar thoughts - when I was about 5.

42yrs • M •
gkokm21 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
what is there to be happy about if you are dead? i beg to disagree.

if you can live longer, you can choose to contribute more to the society, improve the civilisation, solve problems of the world, help unfortunate people, spend time with people, experience more activities in life.

the things to do in life will never end. there will always be things waiting for you to discover or invent.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think the assumption is that life derives its unity from death. In order for life to 'make sense' we must view it as a narrative which runs from birth to death. Thus conceived, one's life is the story of how we achieved or failed to achieve those ends which we had duly devoted ourselves to.

36yrs • M
become a vampire, I hear they have immortality

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In a sense, we are getting better and better at preventing death. 45 use to be considered very very old. Our lifespan is continually increasing with rapid growth in technology. It is theorized that eventually we will be able to transfer information from our brain onto some type of supercomputer, and this is in a sense a way of preventing death. Other ways of prolonging life or preventing death such as the insertion of highly sophisticated nanobots into our bodies have been contemplated for quite some time. I believe eventually we will have the technology to prevent death, but the implications of this transformation may cause a great shift in us as a species.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M
It seems the longer you live, the less you live. Sure you could wear an anti-contamination suit all your life to prevent harmful bacteria... but what kind of life is that? Why try to sacrifice the joys of life to live longer? So you can live without living.. isn't that a computer?

69yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that willowwater is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I say live life the way that feels right to you!
If you find that you're worried about ageing and you're wrapped up in thinking of ways to postpone the enevitable, then you've not got much more quality of life than a heroin addict, who spends all of his life wrapped up in where his next fix is coming from. All of us are going to die at some point, so just accept it and enjoy whatever life throws at you.
I will welcome old age when it comes and count myself lucky, as no more than half the people alive today will probably get the chance to experience the joys of old age. Just think about it. After 50/60 years or so, you can start to think about retiring from work, reaping the benefits of well earned pensions! And you can borrow the grandchildren, spoil them, give them back. You can get people to do things for you that you can no longer be bothered to do, and you'll even be able to get away with moaning at them for not doing it right hehehehe

I say, life is what you make of it, if you're not happy, you aint doing it right!

preventing death
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy