We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive - albert einstein
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Those Who Really fought for freedom

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In the 1960s, thousands of American GIs rebelled against the Vietnam War, changing the course of U.S. history and society. No film has ever told their story... until now.

Go to the website and watch the trailer. More and more documentaries are being made like this one.

Presented in partnership with:
Global Exchange, Courage to Resist, Not Your Soldier, Leave My Child Alone, Not in Our Name,
Ruckus Society, Art in Action, Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors, Veterans for Peace

http://sirnosir.com/

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Imagine a mother, nurturing the best of her children to defend the heart of what the family stands for. The child learns well, and with pride, is, with time, sent off to defend those principles. The child goes there and experiences all sorts of horrors, horrors, which made worse, are neglected by the family and the mother who remain quiet, don't offer support, and in some cases, criticise their actions.

These battered humans return to their homeland, some very disturbed by the torture, bruising, battering and sights we can only be glad we haven't seen. Then, to make things worse, the nation turns its back on those that were their, in their eyes, to defend them. they spit and chastise them as third class citizens.

The mother is the government, the family is America. The child is the Vietnam Veteran.

Please, think about this.

""No words""
 64yrs • M •
Yes I know, I've seen it, and it was very ugly. Many of them became bums on the street turning to drugs and alcohol, and then Reagan came along and tried to take away their benefits.

But rarely mentioned were the heroes who fought against all of this - and if we had made statues for them rather than forget them, we might not have found ourselves once again in a similar situation so soon.

41yrs • M •
I agree with your intentions here. Its an old cliche but still holds true that the past is there to learn from, and act upon interpretation. This is nothing against your post, of course, but merely that the 'do gooders' need to realise that judgement has its place when it rests in compassion. Words, said in the right way are very powerful. And the first thing to do when I hear the word 'Vets' is to remember the horrors they faced, take note of their suffering, help them, and then to start criticising what was done. In this situation I find it a tradegy that some can say so easily how badly things were done, but to forget why there were done by the majority of the people that took part in this. Its so easy to point a finger, instead, if we can carry some pains, perhaps we can build by knowing and then instead of saying why? change this to why not and in so doing, liberate all factions involved knowing that its the human condition that needs help. No easy task admittedly, and to side with you here, given what I have said, the soldiers that have beared the horrors (the ones who really have), who can still stand up and say 'yes we were wrong' whilst knowing that beforehand they did not know this, is the noblest side of a human I can think of.

But, first and foremost for me, those who bore the tradegies must be thanked, must be praised, not because of what they did, but because of why they did it. Yet, with this asking, as we go deeper, we have to carry the wight of their pain to liberate. This is the pain of good power, but places one in the highest ethics of human nature.

This post is directed at all of us. Slightly off topic, but you could say the general topic (i.e. the whole situation, in its entirity) 'strikes a nerve'.

""No words""
 64yrs • M •
I agree with you - but let me put this in perspective. If you had a choice between hurting someones feelings and preventing a death, ofcourse you would choose preventing a death.

Ofcourse the hurt feelings are not just hurt feelings, we're talking about a crushed soul, I know, I've seen many of them.

I try to be careful, but my mission is to stop this war, and I will accomplish the mission even if I hurt feelings - but I will try to be careful.

Somebody sent this to me:
http://ultimatetools.net/t.cgi?eaglememorial

I'm sure you will appreciate it.

41yrs • M •
Thanks for this. Some of us have to endure pain so that others may be free. Some will not understand 'truth' but that they think they know the 'truth'. This is of course the great conflict of our times- to hear things and not listen ( ). Of course the message of Jesus, not the man, but the intent, is what matters.

Some things, for some, are given to them that allows understanding. I don't know where this comes from, nor do I know the gain of enduring pain so that others may be free, but I do have faith that it is the right thing to do. Answers thereafter come with circumstance, not by law.

""No words""
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy