If everything that happen's supposed to be and it's all predetermined -can't change your destiny- guess I'll just keep moving someday maybe, I"ll get to where I'm going. (Conor Oberst) - iSOUGHT|THOUGHT
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

To not exist

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To not exist
It is not possible to comprehend non-existence.

Heard this from a religious person explaining why we don't value our existence.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i dunno. I know if you dont exist then whats to point of understanding non-existance? I think therefore i am. You could get matrix on this subject, but all we know is what we see, feel, smell and hear. We wont know the answere till we die, so live on.

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think it's harder to comprehend eternity. I mean, as humans that were born and will die, we always thought of an end to ourselves, but try to sit back and think of eternity. It never ends!!

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's easier to understand eternity than non-existence because we desire eternity so much that we even have times that we think we're going to live forever.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's impossible to comprehend non-existence because we do exist (mentally). But can you comprehend you're body not existing? Yes and No. I can see my body but there's no say to the fact that viewing it makes it certain. I see lots of things and I don't see lots of things. I can't see bacteria yet I know they exist upon viewing them in a microscope. I can see but I can't see. I like to leave it as I'm viewing the world.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
my (this) computer screen doesnt exist 10 feet to the right..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 36yrs • M •
Who's to say it exists at all.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
lets all just accept that fanatic religious people aren't that smart. then we will like the world a whole lot more.
fuck it.
while we're at it, lets just accept that most people are stupid.
ahhh. (sigh of relief) feels good huh.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
Well funny thing is from their perspective you would be considered stupid for not being religious.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
true, they cant understand why your not, you cant understand why they are. there is no middle ground between atheism and religion. strange.

as for understanding or imagining no existence, it is impossible for us to imagine ourselves not existing, i cant explain why, because it is almsot as hard as imagining myself not existing in the first place.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i can see both sides but for some reasons i stick to one side..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
same here. i understand why they are the way they are. my problem is that they think they are more right than me when we both have just as much evidence and such.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
there is no middle? i dont believe that...

on the two radical sides you have atheism and organized religion....

in the middle you have your own religion.

36yrs • M •
It isn't so much as to organized religion. But is more to the question of God's existence that really spreads the distance between the two. The only people that can see from both sides is someone who's truly converted from one to the other. For instance I was brought up Catholic and never really put a thought towards the existence of God until I hit about 15 or 16. I think it doesn't matter which side you believe as long as you've seen both perspectives. It's one thing to believe something but it's another to blindly believe it. That's where I think the role of stupid comes into play. But then again who am I to judge...

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if you believe something, you're an idiot and should die... simple as that.... if you don't believe something you're an idiot and shoul die... simple as that.... so what is there that keeps you alive? having an idea... people fight for beliefs, i have never heard of someone fight for an idea.

To not exist
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy