Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What If Everything Is Fake And You Are The Only Thing That Is Real?

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
JoeBoxer4689 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
A couple of my friends have been discussing this theory that the whole world revolves around YOU and everything in it is only there becuase we believe that its there. What if everything that you do is based on wheather you believe you can do it or not ( for example: i stongly believe that i can see, feel, smell, touch, and taste a cookie but what if i only sense those things becuase i believe that i do)

Nothing is real besides for you, you control everything and anything.

a little bit unclear but lets see who can try to think outside the box a little bit?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The belief is called solipsism. In theory it's wrong. I think therefore I am. We understand that we are real. But, the problem of solipsism is when you try and explain it to someone else. When you try and explain the theory to someone else it doesn't make sense to him or her. They think of course I'm real (I think therefore I am).

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Oblivion is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i have acctually thought aobut this exact thing in the past,but i dont nessicarily belive it.i didnt know that anyone else has ever even thought about it.but there is a word for it,which i have just now learned.i also didnt think that if i told anybody,they would even understand,so i didnt bother to talk about it with anyone.
and i also cant put into words what i have thought about exept this.if you belive that you can touch feel see taste...ect.why can you sence other things too,if you belive you can?(the likes of which we were never meant to think about)

"If You Aint Ammo, You Aint Shit."
 36yrs • M •
I know exactly what you mean oblivion. I can't tell you how many times I think I've found an original thought only to later find out it has existed for 200 years. It has to be the weirdest feeling. I for some reason always feel rather disappointed and discouraged but I always manage to get back on the horse.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
why? do you want to become kind of famous for an original thought? im still on that mission.. and i still have a whole list of ideas theories etc.. that i havent heard of yet... perhaps most what i came up with i later found were thought of in a similar enough way (and perhaps better worded).. and i sometimes am inspired with new ideas from onwes that are already out there,, but then im influenced by them (the few i learn) to take it to the next or another level and come up with "(hopefully) original ideas influenced form them.. well i guess all my ideas are influenced but perhaps most not fiereclyty from people but more from abstract creative thinking..

and about this subject, i felt less skeptical when i realised that this idea was talked about and talking about it with people ie: in philosphy calsses.. makes me less skeptical in thinking im the only one alive etc.. but (jackler).. that wouldnt make it wrong.. i feel less skeptical as i assume you do.. but it can still be true that your the only one that exists even if your (assuming within 'you' ) that you are talking with people saying "yea maybe we dont exist either".. that doesnt make solipisim wrong just less convincing.. hey maybe its a trickdeciever lol..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 36yrs • M •
yes of course there's exceptions and well it could be true but like I said in theory it's wrong.

My search for original thought is a personal discovery and if one day I ever did get famous it would only be considered a bonus. I feel that through any original thought I feel self discovery but when I realize that someone else has already taken that thought it's just disappointing. It's not disappointing in the sense that I've lost fame and fortune but that it's simply just another philosophy another thought on paper. I guess I'm upset that I didn't get to write it down.

35yrs • F •
indelaeln is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Personally, I think this theory is yes, unclear.. But.. there is always the possibilty..although you seem a little unsure of it. I've had thoughts of this run through my mind at times, but I just suggest it might be the crack.. Thats all.

"i am jesus hear me roar!"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Many people believe in alot of things only to realize one day they were wrong. Reality is in the consciousness, what you believe is how the world appears to you. Your realitiy revolves around you however the true state of existence is but a larger whole of yourself and your finite consciousness.

Jacker, I believe you are using the phrase wrong. I think therefore I am refers to questioning any existence at all. What if there is nothing? How can you prove that there is some existence once you realize your senses cannot tell you the truth?
Sometimes lies are more reliable than the truth. If there is a false existence there must be a real existence. I think, and so there is false existence in my mind, and so there is a sure true existence. I am.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the fact that you could be wrong means that someone else could be right. and if someone is something, wether it be you or someone else, that means that something is there.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • M •
"the fact that you could be wrong means that someone else could be right" No it simply means that in order for you to get false information there has to be a reality in its material form (pure). IE existence without consciousness.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
by "right" i meant that something is reality. not a correct answer.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
I think therefore I am is literal. You think therefore you must be real.

35yrs • M •
No.

36yrs • M •
Because I can think, I therefore must exist in order to do so.
That's what I think therefore I am means.

35yrs • M •
I am sorry to inform you but you are again wrong.

1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy