"Everything is opinion and point of view. Evil and good all depends on how you look at things. Question is what is opinion?" - Zyphon
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

A backlash against sexual attitudes?

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is it possible that society will react strongly against liberal sexual attitudes and become a society where sexuality is controlled? It's impossible for this to happen instantly, but possibly over a period of at least 50 years.

You should read or watch The Handsmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
is controlled sexuality bad?

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i beleive that it is.

there is this movie called eqilibrium. in this movie the society rejects all human emotions witht he help of a drug. certain people reject the rejection and they are killed becuase of it. the new society burns everything that might have any emotion attached to it, and they are left with no trcae of humanity in them.

controll is a bad thing when you start playing with human nature. if you stop people from being people, you breack them as people. they are no longer people. they are simply living. sure, sexuality is far from slavery, but not far enough for me to be comfortable about it. and because the few WILL revolt against the many, there will be some sort of war. wether it be cold, or steeming hot with fire and bullets.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
and because the few WILL revolt against the many, there will be some sort of war. wether it be cold, or steeming hot with fire and bullets.

You will get the same results this way as well. Some people will revolt because of the lack of morality

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i agree awakened. and great movie btw.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ok but the first question to this is how will we benefit from such practices. I personally think liberal is a good thing. If we all adapted a conservative life style we might as well go back to the 1840's. The only reason we would need a conservative lifestyle is for religion. So this really isn't a political thing but more a religious thing.

To force people to live more conservative is really just being a nazi. Because your doing something on a hunch. There's no logic behind saying that society will be more civilized through more conservative practices, but is a mere assumption.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In fact already sexuality is already being controlled and its getting worse.

I think a certain amount of control is required. Aids has caused a rethinking of sexuality, but before that the sexual revolution had thrown shame and guilt right out the window and some people were getting hurt emotionally. A subject that is way behind on any scientific study (emotions and sex). But please, lets not bring back the shame and guilt (but we are, unfortunatly).

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • F •
Throughout history you have movements and anti-movements.

Reasons of why society might revert back to controlled sexuality:
-increase in orphans, more than the state can handle
-spread of STDs, workers are dying off
-increase in sex crimes, causes unrest in the masses
-increase in incest

In the case of the Handmaid's Tale, promiscuity was rampant but more and more women were becoming barren. Fewer kids means fewer workers and soldiers, which means that the power of a country weakens. In the novel, Christianity was used as a "reason" to control sexuality when it was actually a desire for power, and if that meant that sexuality had to be controlled, so be it. Of course, the powerful men in that novel were still able to go to sex clubs.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
quote:
Fewer kids means fewer workers and soldiers, which means that the power of a country weakens.

So china with the greatest population is the greatest country. I agree with the list you have except incest. People use to do incest often because they didn't know the science behind it(take for instance the royal family). I understand what your saying and it would help those things listed but at what price. People shouldn't tell other people how to live.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
People shouldn't tell other people how to live.

This would be true except that there is no such thing as common sense. The whole legal system is designed to tell people how to live.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • M •
Were getting a little off topic so I started another thread.

36yrs • F •
Actually Jacker Jones, we are still on the topic. Sexuality is just one case, but the core issue is how much right do we have to control each other? How much right does the government have to control us? (Though that's a redundant question, as the people in power don't ask the weaklings whether they want to be controlled or not.)

36yrs • M •
It should be as little as possible while still maintaining safety.

36yrs • F •
Define safety. Maybe I don't think it's safe for women to have one-night stands or for men to drink alcohol. Define safety. In all aspects of physical, emotional, psychological, spiritual.

36yrs • M •
Where what you do severly affects others. Where there is no chances 100%(or close to) that what you do will seriously harm someone else.

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy