Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What can be done?

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What can be done?
Is there nothing that we can do to make philosophy and spirtuality a "cool" thing. Is there nothing that we can do to change the majority of peoples mind sets. It seems to me that what we as a human race need to be doing, instead of makeing country's, and war's, and plasma televisons, We need to be sitting all together asking ourselves, "what is life". And we should not break, except to eat and pea........ untill we have come to a common understanding. All of us. Not just some of us.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 35yrs • M •
Ziddy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The main reason philosophy is not "cool" is that the vast majority of people think of _how_ things are, rather than _why_ things are. Unless this changes, neither will popular view of philosophical thinking.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
every person i speak to in a philosophical way seems to be awed at it, and simply ignores its intelligence. it is cool to those who undestand it.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think with every person there's a way to reach them with philosophy. It's just a matter of relating an interest to philosophy.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 39yrs • M •
da_deef is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Huh? philosophy not cool?

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i heard that deef =) i kinda like that it's not cool (not for serious reason's i just hate how people take something great blow it up for like a year or so and then it gets played and pop-culturized and ruined..like umm yoga, or the color pink..hahaha)
You're right jacker, especially if you know how to talk to people without them knowing what you're really talking about..does that make sense? Like how you have to do things to preach the word of God to someone, or tell them about an epiphony you had while watching Blow..

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MJClone is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
philisophical thoughts and speaking requires no real action. just an complex way of understanding what rules should be broken and what rules should be exalted. Then later down the line you hope that some one is able to live out your philosphical views and prove you right. That's why it's not cool.

"what if I'm a clone?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TRANCEND is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
why would you want philosophy to be cool? how does the study of philosophy require it to be cool?

"\WHEN YOU CANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It depends on how one defines 'philosophy' and whether 'cool' refers to something that is popular, or something that is considered superior. Philosophy is a discipline or field of study involving the investigation, analysis, and development of ideas at a general, abstract, or fundamental level. Quite frankly philosophy as a whole, is actually incredibly popular. For example religion is a philosophy. Science is a philosophy.
On the other hand, I think you are questioning why 'philosophy' outside religion and scientific thought isn't approached by the 'general' population.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Its a good way of thinking..
I have sculpted my life around its very foundations.
Because the common person doesn't often acknowledge my way of thinking I am able to give them a new and sometimes eye opening view on life as I see it.
That is atleast what I stive for..

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the general population doesnt think. explains everything. kiss someone tomorrow and tell them you love them.

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
everyone is a philosopher. every thought, action, and inaction is another toss of your two philosophical cents into the ether. just because one does not cognitively pursue concepts considered to be traditionally philosophical in nature does not make them any more or less of a philosopher than one who does. just a different sort.

"dont got one"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I somewhat disagree, that there are different degrees to which peopel are philosphers.. i think cerain people dedicate more time than others in what thinkn is philosphical in nature.. like anaylzing further into things linking it to a broader picture, qwuestioning thorisingg the way things ae.. acuatlly im stumped whats philosophy again??.. but u know that ype of thing people can dedicate more of there time to and would be a philospher vs eople who dont dedicate that mucb time to it (it would acautlly be just differnt in degrree xcasue i agree everyone is to an extent) but the people who areant labeled philosphers arent for not dedicating most of there time to it and or just not showing it(for us to label them a philosper)..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Being a philosopher is much more then this. It is the passion for defineing one's existence. Most people question it at one time or another in their life's. Most also either chose athiesm, or a particular relegion. Worst off are those who just don't chose at all. (through not questioning at all).
But there are those, who strive constatnley to "push" there thought's beyond any conception yet conceived by man. All in the hopes that we may conquer the mind and soul. The only things truely worth all our effort as man.

This is a philosopher.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
What can be done?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy