Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Evolution vs. Creationism...Thoughts?

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
mr_hospitality is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Thoughts I posted on a discussion board for a class of mine...

I don't think that public schools should be able to teach creationism. If they do, they should have some sort of system that allows the teaching of it, but the parents of the students have to sign a permission slip or something like that informing the staff of which theory they would like their child to learn; and should have separate classes for the two groups. Science is normally factual, proven information, but in this case, science goes as far as it can to explain evolution, but NO ONE will ever know for sure. It's a question to think about but it may not even have a place in school. The Bible offers miracles, scenarios that are not plausible at any point in time. Maybe these miracles are just parables meant to teach a lesson, but if this is the case and the book is fictional, should we believe the theory of evolution printed in this book? Maybe the whole thing is a fictional parable that inflicts fear into the hearts of its readers causing them to try their best to live a good life. On the other hand, science may be wrong. However, scientists attempt to apply a logical thought process to the theory of evolution and when asked for an explanation of the theory, they can justify their beliefs. What is logical about everything in this universe being created in 7 days by a single entity? Why was it created and what created the creator? If clergymen can come up with a solid explanation of this, then by all means, give students the option of learning it in public schools. But then you have the separation of church and state. Either way, someone is going to be unhappy. I think that we should stick to the scientific way of teaching and leave the theological aspects to the church, or the unknown should not be taught at all in schools. But that can be argued by Aristotle's theory that nobody knows anything anyway. It's such a complex subject. It gives me a headache.

What do you think?

35yrs • M •
cordelllain is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think that the purposes of high school education are to prepare us to be productive members of society AND to give us access to information that is likely to be relevant to such lives. Whether we beleive in creation or not i think that it is relevant and should therefore be included, although i agree that it should not be taught as fact.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think they need to stop portraying opinion as fact and just humbly admit that KNOW ONE KNOWS!
I think that they should stop trying to lie to the children about the origins of man and just teach physics and chem because those are the most interesting and they are full of FACTS.
eh.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The stories of the Bible are supposed to carry deeper meaning. Catholics argue that even if the stories are fictional that they still teach good morality.

Both the scientific and religious views of creation are most likely wrong. But I don't see how if we really do figure out creation or evolution will really benefit us. It's just an answer.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think that most religions are based on good morals.
Yeh what can we do if we figure out where we are really from that we can't already.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
creationism is not information, it is theory

is not evolution theory? i understand what you are saying, but there is some disturbing evidence, information if you will, in the bible. i qoute, "And then there was light." there is a clear corralation between this and the big bang. in each situation no light, then light. but then again it could all be coincidence.

quote:
I think the primary concern is that it is taught as fact, not as "information".

being in high school, i can tell you that there are many things that are tuaght in school as fact, but just aren't. for instance, one day my brother was in math class, and you know those problems that no one, not even the teacher can get, comes up. well one did. my brother pointed out that the classes combined efforts to find a correct anserw, thought to be true, were wrong. the teacher said, and i qoute, "It doesn't matter if the answer is right, it only matters that we all get the same answer as a class." it doesn't end there. my brother then explained to the rathe ignorant, with a southern accent, woman, that he was part of the class and had a different answer, therefore, with her simple minded reasoning the bases of his conclusion as to get her to listen, the problem was not solved. her reply was, and i fucking woute, "there's just some people that don't belong in society."

now if morality is the issue here, we have far greater problems than if one theory should be favored over another, so i don't think that is the case, unless of course everyone in the world is blind as a bat. i beleive that the problem is there are way to many people in this world that think there life meens more than the next guys. for instance, today at work some ass-hole got mad at me for taking to long to get his pizza. imagine that i am a hard worker and this will go more smoothly (i am a very hard worker). i was non stop moving answering 2 phones and cashing 2 people out, while looking for there product, and talking to this jerk off at the same time. he got mad at me and said he shoud have come first.... now, what would you do? i asked him why. he said because i am a paying cutomer. did you get that. read it again. everyone else is to. he was to dumb to notice that though. and as i grow older i realize that the majority of the population is like this. now also keep in mind that majority rules in this counrty.... this was taught to him, by someone who he respected, that this is good behavior.

misinformation? i think not.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
but all they have to say to be completely justified, is "your right, they 'knew' that the world was flat, but they were wrong. just like you 'know' creationism is wrong'"
and that is really all they have, i guess that would be a tool of the moronic, but it is enough, because what can we say? yeah, we know we have had mistakse, but we are right this time.? how is someone with 'faith suppose to accept that? and because they hve a valid reason as to why it isn't as retarded as a flat world, they do have a point.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Creationism is pretty much Greek mythology. It's a story that helps explain answers.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy